Using successors as other chapters allies?

Master Avoghai

I'm about to reach my goal for collecting DA (battle company with full weapons options), but I don't want to give up collecting DA...

I was first thinking of painting 6 DV DA sets in the colours of each successors but I then thought that it could be boring and wouldn't bring anything new to me... Moreover, with the rumours announcing that the DV boxset will be replaced by a BA/orks boxset, I would have suffered technical problems to achieve this new goal

Then I thought : "what about using the successors to represent DA allies?"

For exemple the monk aspect of the guardians could be represented by a BT trait.

The consecrators could fit an IH trait (representing better rhino and armour variants)

I see several advantages

- using new tactics and style of play

- using new units as count as (storm ravens, storm talons)

- playing allies with a fluffy aspect

What do you think and most important : which traits do you think will fit each successors?

Since they are painted differently, that should help with gameplay and WYSIWYG. I don't think it will be allowed in a tournament setting but fine for friendly games.

I can also see Consecrators as count as Salamanders because of their relics.

Angels of Redemption as count as Imperial Fists but that is based on my own fan fluff I made.

Disciples of Caliban as Grey Knights, based on my own fan fluff again and the line that they were to go after Cypher

Angels of Vengeance as Blood Angels, with black armor already - they could easily be seen as Death Company. Also because they were black, I thought it best not to have them as White Scars as this would create confusion as to whether they are White Scars or Ravenwing. To make it easier...

Angels of Absolution as White Scars

Since I patterned my Fallen Dark Angels off the 13th Company of Space Wolves, I would suggest that but then your army would have to turn on itself. You may need a DIY Unforgiven for that Codex or reuse one of the Angels of ... for that purpose, Vengeance maybe. And oath of vengeance would play well with the Wolves' sagas.

I believe it was Arkley that had an awesomely painted red DA chapter that would also do well as a fill in for Blood Angels. He did an article for the Brotherhood of the Angel competition back in 2012. You could look at that. The link is the last one in my sig.

Well I have also seen the AoV as blood angels :D

I think I won't use GK codex... First because I hardly see a whole chapter of psykers apart from GK then because it leaves me a possibility to play my future FW thousand sons models.

The salamanders/Consecrators is nice but it's more the TLflamers/meltas that is hard to justify if you have idea...

Space wolves? I play DA and thousand sons and you want me to touch a SW codex ???!? :lol:

As far as we are :

Angels of Vengeance : Blood Angels

Angels of Absolution : ?

Angels of Redemption : ?

Guardians of the Covenant : Black Templars

Disciples of Caliban : White Scars (for the "scouting for Cypher" and the chevalry-like chapter symbol)

Consecrators : Iron Hands/Salamanders

Angels of Absolution and Redemption, don't know which fit better for UM and IF...

As long as you make it clear to your opponents what rules each element in your army uses, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm building my Sword Bearers army to use either Codex DA or Codex Space Marine's, simply because it gives me a much wider choice of unit's. I don't play competitively or in tournaments so I don't know how you'd fare in that environment, but if your allied detachments are painted differently I don't see that it would be an issue. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, no Codex can ally with itself, so if you wanted to field (for example) a combined DA and Angels of Absolution force (an alliance which fluffwise happens quite regularly, or at least enough to be mentioned in the codex), you'd have to either use the same Force Organisation chart for both elements, or a different codex army list for the AoA.  

Another option you could look into are the Badab Chapter Tactics from Forge World. The Red Scorpions tactics (apothecary's in Tac squads, re-roll pinning tests) could be quiet appropriate for the Disciples with their stringent standards of genetic purity. The Raptors, Mantis Warriors and Star Phantom rules would allow you some interesting builds, while the Executioners, Minotaurs and Astral Claws Tactics, which all provide leadership bonuses of one form or another, all seem pretty appropriate for a DA Successor.

Indeed but I'd prefer use GW traits rather than starting using FW stuff... They re not always accepted so...

For the Legion of the damned. I plan to use LotD using their new dataslate so there's a risk of mistake + LotD doesn't allow you to play officers, transport or Special units like vets or assault squad. Just a tactical squad with special rules.

Don't forget Legion of the Damned, super high tech teleport, better saves and ignores cover for basic ideas. Really the Consecrators show up out of no where and help the DA just like them.

Yes but for the LotD - you would not need to ally with the codex sm's you just could take a detatchment like written in the new LotD codex version.

Archived