Angels of Absolution.

The Yak

I am planning on doing a small detachment of Angels of Absolution and need some advice from those in the know.

Does anyone know how their first company is organised? I have seen some images that I believe come from the Vracks IA books. They show images of veteran marines from 1st company kitted out in regular power armour. I thought you lot all wore terminator armour in 1st.

Also one of the guys is wearing a rather fetching half tabbard. Do these guys not wear robes?

As those of you who know me will already be familiar with my disdain for fancy battle field garments, I hope that these boys could be right up my street!

Do they not wear robes and hoods because they feel they have nothing to hide?

"We have no need to hide our heads beneath hoods of shame. We our absolved of our brothers sins! We seek vengeance all the same"

Grand Master Ibrahima, Angels of Absolution

As far as it is known they follow DA structure. Perhaps the power armour of 1st Company is an oversight, maybe refers to Company veterans that DA are renowned for.

Hoods and robes could also be a part of AoA becase of the above reasons, but since so little is known about them you could have your mark upon the Chapter and discard those garments.

Ahh... you came to your senses Yak - welcome to the Rock! :D

I agree with Chaplain Lucifer, AoA follow the standard Unforgiven organization AFAIK... Given that the first Company always deploys in TDA, the equivalent power armoured vets are the Company Vets (if they are depicted as 1st Comp. it's probably a mistake). We can start a more esoteric dicussion on Vets, First Company, Deathwing and Inner Circle but that's not the topic for it...

The robes are completely an optional aesthetic thing - there is no hard line as to who may or may not wear them... A ususal approach is to signify seniority but ultimately it's your call. My Consecrators do not wear robes - although I'm personally a big fan of the monastic look... It's a matter of choice. I just want to mention that the robes pre-date the Heresy and although they may have a meaning within the Chapter/Legion it's certainly not attached to the big secret... or is it?

Cheers Chaplain! Ive got some tabbard legs left over from my Raptors sternguard so I would use those, we wouldn't want them feeling completely naked now would we?

Also got loads of fancy bits left over from the ravenwing command squad. May aswell put to good use.

Do you know how they came to be "forgiven"?

Hahaha... Not forgiven (per se)..

AoA do not share the guilt of the Unforgiven becasue they believe that their sins are expunged by the DAs actions in the Fall of Caliban. However they do share the responsibility of the Hunt - they are committed to hunting down the Fallen and will not rest until they have even the last one is accounted for. Not guilty - but still responsible to hunt the fallen.

Aren't the AoA described in the campaign of Vrak FW books?

IIRC they sent their 1st company marines in power armour?

That's what I was hoping someone would be able to clarify. I wouldn't want to fork out £50 for a book at this stage as I'm unsure whether to get started on the project yet.

Welcome, brother!

I've been collecting Angels of Absolution since 2nd Ed, love the Siege of Vraks series and have done some searching through the internet over the years and this is all I know regarding your questions:

The 1st and 2nd companies are organized nearly identically to the Dark Angels', with one notable exception.  They sometimes field power armoured 1st Co members for missions that require tactical flexibility, such as in the final days of the Siege of Vraks.  Unfortunately this didn't make it into the 6th Ed DA codex.  According to internet legend, the 1st and 2nd Co are known as the "Shriven" and the "Watchers" and are the only known named successor companies.  AoA sergeants, veterans, and 1st Co have a red stripe on their helmet.

AoA Veterans are shown wearing the green half tabbard in SoV:3 and in the 4th Edition DA Codex, but there's no info on whether this is the norm.  Personally, I field my Veteran Sergeants with the half tabbard, and my command squads and vet squads are a combination of robe and tabbard.  Interesting theory on the tabbards, though.   There's a lot fluff potential with the AoA and I wish GW Digital would take it on as a supplement or something.

Up until 5th edition, AoA bolters were painted black.  In the 6th ed codex they are shown as red.  I'm not sure which I prefer.

One of these days I'm going to homebrew an AoA 1st Co power armour unit, either allowing Deathwing terminators to switch to power armour for a points reduction and weapon change, or allowing Co Vets to take Inner Circle for a points increase.

Yes, Syphid is correct. There seems to be a discrepancy between the Codices and Siege of Vraks. Although not a direct contradiction as such, the fact that FWs "proposed" alternative (existence of Sternguard within the context of the Unforgiven) was never adopted explicitly by the Codex writers leaves room for interpretation... 

If you want to go down the FW way you may indeed paint Sternguard in the colors of the AoA. But what about the rules? You could field them a Company Veterans and be done with it. Or  paint them as AoA but use Codex SMs! 

True the AoA offer a lot of potential but one constant is that they are extremely close to the DAs (in SoV they are called Azrael's most trusted successor Chapter!). So they are committed to the hunt much like the DAs...

Now about the names of the 1st and 2nd companies, I'd REALLY like to know the source... :D

Now about the names of the 1st and 2nd companies, I'd REALLY like to know the source... biggrin.png

I've heard two versions. First is that they were named in some old copy of WD, the other is that they were named only in the pre-print leaked copy of 4th edition. I haven't been able to find either, unforutnately.

I stand corrected - was "Wardens" and "Shriven"

I actually made a separate post about this a week or so ago. The

pre-print copy of the 4th Ed C:DA named the Ravenwing & Deathwing

the Wardens and Shriven in the AoA fluff blurb. The released copy says

1st Company and 2nd Company. I'm trying to track down a copy of it so I

don't feel like its all in my head. Haha.

More here.

Love seeing the successors getting some love, I vote black robes and weapons, just personal choice, i might consider green ones. Now to find more Disciples of Caliban folks with that level of knowledge for me smile.png

I use green. It's maybe not the most tactical or humble, but I like the contrast.

@Syphid: Thank you Brother. That is exactly the info I was looking for. The reason I wanted to do these guys was due to the following images.....

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111011042929/warhammer40k/images/thumb/6/62/Veteran_Sergeant_Raphael.jpg/152px-Veteran_Sergeant_Raphael.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111011042819/warhammer40k/images/thumb/3/30/AoA_Veteran_Brother.jpg/154px-AoA_Veteran_Brother.jpg

I also want to use a squad that I would not usually go for in my main army. I plan on doing a Grand Master with a 5 man honour guard, a Storm Raven and an Iron Clad Dreadnought in Angels of Absolution attire. Now before you crazy Rock dwellers shout "Whoooaa Boy we don't have that kind of business round these parts", hear me out....

This small project comes about from trying to be practical with my bits. I couldn't justify going out and getting the Dark Angels Codex just for this small squad, so I will be using my Codex: Space Marines and using Black Templar Chapter tactics. The reason for this choice is due to the model choice, may aswell give my Chapter Champion a bonus in challenges. Also It kind of fits with a certain self righteousness that I imagine the Angels of Absolution would portray.

I have a Iron Clad that I received as a present and I can't really see Raptors going for a siege device (much rather climb through the sewers to get to the enemy), so thought I'd paint it to look like this sexy beast....

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111011043009/warhammer40k/images/thumb/2/24/Amiel_Dreadnought.jpg/228px-Amiel_Dreadnought.jpg

The Storm Raven was going to go with my Raptors but it makes sense to give my Angels of Absolution some way of getting into the fight. I know its a huge points sink and also so many expensive little eggs in one flying basket. However I just want something different to paint and they will mainly be for looking cool rather than tournament style play. As for stealing the Raptors Storm Raven.... I will have to replace it with a Fire Raptor to keep them happy (when I win the lottery obviously)

As for the colours I will be going for just 3 main colours, Cream, Black and Red. So will be not be using the dark green on the tabbards, although it does look cool.

Has anyone got any pictures of their painted AoA? I need a fix!

Nice work Liberame! I'm going to have to scan the Deathwing painting tutorials to get a nice bone white colour.

What decals are you using? They look slightly different to Deathspectresgt7's which I think are the Forgeworld Vraks set.

Archived