The Execution of 1000 Heathens

Lorenzen

Sorry couldn't resist that as a title! tongue.png

So after a little debate about the armour of the executioners chapter 1000Heathens challenged me to paint up a metallic blue executioner whilst he would be painting an executioner with non metallic* blue armour to see what we thought of each others takes on the chapter and for me to hopefully convince him that metallics and executioners are correct together.

*non metallic as in normal marine power armour rather than the metallic blue i associate with the axe men.

the date for this challenges end is set at the 23rd of this month.. though to show him i mean business i have a wip shot for you all already msn-wink.gif

1012264_10152060511756406_1123118918_n.j

your move 1000Heathens!

blink.png

When I saw the conversation in question, I figured that there wouldn't be any progress for at least a few days! Looking very cool so far! happy.png

You're lucky; I'm still healing up from a procedure and can't get down to the War Room right now.

This will not go unchallenged, Lorenzen. Enjoy your head start.

:P

That's one fine looking  axe man and you say that there is more to do :P *click* follow... With your competitor non metallic..  metallic you mean? or like a flat blue if that makes sense If you even know what he/she is up to :)?  

Flat blue I believe rather than nmm.

The weathering on the yellow is mostly vmc german black brown applied with a sponge, the rest is just acheived by a thin layer of tamiya clear orange to get a bit more richness to the pads colour.

Oh when the Badab War II book came out I emailed the staff at Forgeworld to ask about the armor color and they replied "dark blue steel with silvered backpacks; bronzed for veterans and bronzed helms for veteran sergeants and faceplaces on vanguard". I guess that is as official as you get?

From what I can tell from the IA it seems even that is loosely followed. Which makes sense seeing as the chapter mindset revolves around individual glory and honor. Basically think of a chapter of Cimmerians, they all fight together but each one is out to create a truly legendary saga for themselves. Hence the reason for their large amount of Death Speakers (Chaplains), their primary purpose is the recording and retelling of great deeds. Because of this you're going to see a lot of individualized variation when it comes to personal decoration. Just my 2 cents.

Well theres only one more day to go for this challenge, so I figured I'd post my progress.. still not quite finished but definitley shows the final scheme off..

988433_10152073157976406_542700305_n.jpg

Recipe wise.. model was sprayed with alclad dark aluminium then airbrushed lightly with drakenhof nightshade, recesses were done with p3 armour wash and highlights with vallejo model air steel (initially i tried a veeery light drybrush of vallejos metallic medium which i didnt like and is whats caused the slightly "glittery" effect.. we live and learn)

The yellow is vallejo model colour medium skin tone with a light coat of reikland fleshshade and a light coat of tamiya clear orange.

Bronze is done the same way as my minotaurs.. light coat of brass scorpion, runelord brass over that and drybrushed runefang steel before washed with agrax earthshade.

most of the weathering is done with vmc german camo black brown and a sponge and the feet are dusted with fw's dark earth pigment.

looked at both schemes, and it's so hard to choose a better one!

excellent painting on both of your parts, gotta love friendly competition, right?

after staring for too long at these guys, i'm gonna have to say this one wins though, i take the executioners as the kind of marines who would want to be seen with a glaringly bright armor color, so their shiny finish fo rthe metals works more for me. (still, they are both amazing!sweat.gif )

Done.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/082/f/b/the_execution_of_1000_heathens_by_typhion-d7bb50h.jpg

I was going to add a set of axes to the red panel on the back.. probably still will (11 hours til it counts as cheating tongue.png) but its mainly about the actual armour colour for me rather than the little details on this. If i wasnt already working on my 2nd badab chapter I'd consider doing a little force of them after this, very easy scheme to work with imho and lots of cool little trophies etc could be added to make each man unique.

I think you won. At the same time I agree with heathens that coloured metallics are less cool than matte (his Exe was too blue for me). But this is also largely due to my inability to do colour metallics as well as this. 

Make sure the death speaker notices your great victory and add heathens' skull to a chain on your armour. Glorious.

Archived