Hey there fellow gamers! I am new to this forum, but old to the hobby. this will be my first thread worth reading msn-wink.gif.

First, a bit about me. I started Wargaming in Richmond Virginia- with my dad and step brother at the age of 9. I went IG, and they went Orc, and Eldar respectively. I have since collected 9 40k armies, 2 fantasy armies, 2 Warmachine, 2 hordes, 1 x wing, and I have just put on pause my latest WIP Anubis necrons force(awaiting lost ship,net of parts from uk.

I am now starting my smallest, most elite, and not so most original army- The Spartan Elite.

I am open to All opinions and suggestions, other then the obvious:

-the army won't be competitive

- don't do it

- use non elite units

Ok. So I have read the various 'terminator as' troop units codices, and decided on Grey Knights. (This also being an army I haven't really collected yet.)

Is force will be customised, hopefully nailing down the essence of the Spartans, while sticking to WYSIWYG.

List is looking something like this:

Draigo (for most elite army)

Pali units

Pali units

Dreadnought

-Double TL Autocannons w/ psyammo

Opinions- GO smile.png

Conversion Ideas:

I will be basing the Pali's on he FW Deathshroud Terminators

Draigo will look a lot like the minotaurs lord fella

The dread will be based on the minotaurs dreadnought off FW.

And the dreadknight I have some awesome kitbash ideas from this site- pics to follow smile.png

I'm just starting GK / Inquisition myself so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1. I've heard Palis are not that cost effective, so maybe stick with regular Termis?

2. Grand Master may be better choice than Draigo for cost effectiveness

That said, I can see where you're headed with Draigo making Paiis Troops

3. Take PsyCannons

4. Maybe a Nemesis Daemon Hammer for one of them

5. The Nemesis Dreadknight with H.Incinerator and P.Teleport, as welll as a Psy-AC Dread that you'd already mentioned are supposed to be good

6. How about a Land Raider or Storm Raven? Else, do you have anything to take out AV14 at range?

7. Purifiers are supposed to be good against mobs, else I'm thinking 60 mob units may overpower the Termi's

8. What about anti-air?

I'm taking the following myself for around 2K

GM

Cotaez

10 GKT

10 Purifiers

About 20+ assorted henchmen

LR or SR

NDK

AC-Dread

ADL+Quad

Not exaggerated ones, and not based on the recent or incoming sequel of the 300 movie. Based on what a spartan would look like in the year 40k. A few things will need to become a symbolic item of 'war gear' such as: crest, cloak, and shield. I want to incorporate the key elements of the ancient spartan warriors without looking like they belong on the fields of warhammer fantasy :)

The lambda was painted on spartan shields starting around 420 BC - so I will do that.

The cloak will be modelled after the Spartans later use of the exōmis, which was arranged so that the left and right arms were free. This started after the Spartans started to use the phalanx less and less. As my Spartans won't be in phalanx formation, this will be a more appropriate cloak for them to adorn.

While there is only speculation about the crests of horse hair- it is assumed that they used this to identify officers (unlike the movie) and as my army is comprising of only the spartan elite, I will put a transverse crest on all infantry models

The nemesis force swords and nemesis force halberds will be modelled after the dory, and the kopis. Am I right that most people take a few halberds in units of Paladins? Seems it would be nice to have a few striking a I6.

So that's the crest, helmet, cloak, and shield, and main/secondary weapons. The armour is obviously going to need to represent the armour save, so the terms armour will stay. Gold will be used on the pieces that were traditionally hoplite- too assist with keeping a spartan look to them.

Any other ideas at all anyone??

Archived