DA Flyers

DA_WarM

I want to  try one of our flyers in a game this week. I know they aren't that good but I want to try it.  Should I take the Nephilim for it's missiles and TL lascannon or the Dark Talon for its stat-reducer cannon (or bomb) and hurricane bolters?

Once again I find myself agreeing with Sven (we've got to stop that). I liked the AMB on the Neph a lot better. I tried the talon and couldn't get it to work great. Overall they aren't incredible as you already know but I've found in my local group they do well enough to make my opponent stop and think and they usually kill a few transports or a squad which works for me since the model is awesome. Let us know which you choose and how it goes.

DoC

I too have used the Nephilim in several games, preferring the AMB also, usually supporting my ground troops. In a secondary role, along with my Contemptor Mortis, it will provide my antiair. Not a spectacular performing, but it gets the job done or dies horribly!

Once again I find myself agreeing with Sven (we've got to stop that). I liked the AMB on the Neph a lot better. I tried the talon and couldn't get it to work great. Overall they aren't incredible as you already know but I've found in my local group they do well enough to make my opponent stop and think and they usually kill a few transports or a squad which works for me since the model is awesome. Let us know which you choose and how it goes.

DoC

That's what I'll try.  One of my friends usually fields dual dakka flyrant list with a 3-strong dakkafex brood.  It will probably remove his attention off my troops to breathe a bit!

Yeah it works well for supporting against nids I've found. They don't have the armor (most of them) to save against it and the strength 6 helps against the big bugs for wounds. The Dakka Tyrants flying can hurt you a lot so watch out for them but for distraction it should work well. Just be ready for it to die so have you're other stuff get a good shot to smoke his tyrants. Flakk Missiles seem to work for me against them especially with no AV. Also if you haven't tried it the Whirlwind does a good job taking large chunks out of swarms of the little bugs.

Yeah it works well for supporting against nids I've found. They don't have the armor (most of them) to save against it and the strength 6 helps against the big bugs for wounds. The Dakka Tyrants flying can hurt you a lot so watch out for them but for distraction it should work well. Just be ready for it to die so have you're other stuff get a good shot to smoke his tyrants. Flakk Missiles seem to work for me against them especially with no AV. Also if you haven't tried it the Whirlwind does a good job taking large chunks out of swarms of the little bugs.

None of the missiles are AP3.  Since he is 3+, I never remove his save.  It gets annoying but at least sheer number helps. ;)

Remember just like Imperial guard against our DW. Force enough saves eventually he will roll a 1. The more you poor into him the more he's gotta roll. Plasma works well too though.

Do you have a Drop Pod? I find a four man plasma gun Command squad does wonders for making large MC's disappear. Unfortunately you only get one target at a time but if they live through round 2 you might get a nice couple of kills. Or go really over the top and get two HQ's and two command squads.

I would suggest the Lascannon variant on the nephilim instead. AMB is fun against his ground pounders, that's for sure. Against the flying Tyrants though, you want a guaranteed wound.... heck, you want that sucker to die ASAP. AMB is only Str 6 with no TL... you would probably get about 2 wounds out of the AMB against the tyrant, both saveable. the LC "guaranteed" a wound on a Tyrant (unless you roll 1... but hey... that's dice for you biggrin.png ). Another point against the AMB is that what it can do, your normal ground pounder can do it too.... If we just want to spam Str 6 shots, the nephilim is just too overcosted.

This is my opinion and experience in fielding the Nephilims so your mileage might vary, but I tried the AMB variant when i started to field my 2 Nephilims, and they never do much honestly, and most importantly i never felt their impact on the game. I switched it to Lascannon and well... my Lascannon variant don't do much either in terms of kill amount, but at least their contribution in the game is visible and they are impacting the game.... like taking down other flyers, tanks, heavy armoured units(Oblits, Termies, etc)... keeping the skies clear/occupied for the Angels.

But this is talking in vacuum, without regard to your other units' composition ... one Nephilim against 2 Flying Hive Tyrant will always amount to dead/useless nephilim no matter what. Just consider the Nephilim as mop up unit to finish off that Tyrant or whatever MC standing. Perhaps this is too confrontational and i apologise if it is, but if you just want a numerous amount of shots, take a talon added to a banner of devastation. It will do much better than an AMB Nephilim, imho.

My 2 cents, and good luck biggrin.png

Archived