Word Bearers plog - 4/17 - Abaddon, what are you doing here?

It took me 15 years of half-arsing my approach to 40K before I learned the right set of skills to get an army fully painted.  Now that I've got a 500-point force "done", I'm working on expanding it to 1000.

I took advantage of some recent nice weather and spray-varnished some Vindicators painted during the colder months.  Not pictured are their top hatches; those magnetize so I can add combi-bolters if I have the points to spend on Weapon Destroyed insurance.

vindi1

vindi2

Thanks Ghost!  Part of it might be color-correction I applied to try salvaging those washed-out photos.  Really though, my secret (shame) is drybrushing almost the whole thing, then following-up with a semi-translucent overcoat of the base color on the flat surfaces.

Here's more plodding progress... a CSM, and one of the final 6 models of my fully-painted 1K army.  I'm calling him finished though I see more that could be done.

Baldie CSM - front

Looks pretty washed-out from the front, though I didn't muck with the color of these at all, so this is 100% what my camera saw.

Baldie CSM - back

(Sadly I have a few more CSMs than CSM backpacks.)

Baldie CSM - side

I freehanded the chapter symbol on my dudes because I got sick of trying to apply transfers to their huge, curved shoulderpads.

Local temps climbed above 60 today, giving me a chance to spray-varninsh some recent models!  Say hello to 8 of the 10 members of "White squad":

"White squad":  8 of 10

FYI, "White squad" is named for the color of their backpack toppers. My other CSM squad has yellow on their backpacks.  Try and guess their squad name!

"White squad" melta gun group (front)

"White squad" melta gun group (side)

"White squad" group 2 (front)

"White squad" group 2 (side)

Their cultist leader friend also got in on the action, though I'm not sure how he picked up that deep gash in his back... one of these days it'll bug me enough to go scrape, rebuild, and repaint it...

Leaders of "White squad" and Cultist squad #1 (front)

Leaders of "White squad" and Cultist squad #1 (side)

Also, a word about list building:  Yes, I field 2x squads of CSMs supported by 2x Vindicators.

You mock my list building choices?

The sound of one hand clapping CLAPS ON!  Now with 33% more Obliterator!

beakie oblit front

The concept for this guy was simple, yet elegant:  "What if an Mk.6 marine morphed into an Obliterator?"

beakie oblit back

Of course, the real concept was more like, "What am I ever going to do with this beakie helmet I needlessly hacked-apart ~10 years ago?"

beakie oblit side

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks deathspectersgt7!

I recently finished the last 2 dudes from my 1K army. I am super-excited that I finally have a painted 1K army!!! Of course, no sooner did I hit 1K than I started thinking about the next milestone: 1500. But how to get there?

Well, I bought a Land Raider about 10 years ago and did terrible things to it conversion-wise. I also scored a partial Abaddon in a recent Ebay junk lot. And it just so happens that if you add the cost of a Chaos LR (plus dozer blades) to the cost of Abaddon, you get 500 points.

gallery_9378_9377_2048.jpg

To heck with fluff and/or effectiveness, I want to play bigger games. biggrin.png

gallery_9378_9377_27587.jpg

He's going to need a TON more work...

Archived