Warlord and allies

auwombat

Greetings Brothers 

Quick question, my son Dark Angels and my self UM are going to go into a torny together as battle brothers, and I am assuming that we have our own Warlords is that right, ie no cross over of Warlord traits? and secondly I am assuming that my Warlord traits only apply to my army and his to his? Unless my UM can be primary detachment and he becomes an allied attachment but I again assume that is not possible, different codex? Thanks Brothers

Welcome to the OR,

Each army has one Warlord.  Now an army may contain multiple detachments, but only ever one Warlord, who is picked from one of the Primary Detachment HQ selections.

Now whether you and your son both have Warlords or just one of you does will depend on how you are functioning as a team:

- If you are playing as one army (one player controlling the primary detachment, the other the allied detachment) then whoever is using the primary detachment will be in control of the army's Warlord.

- If you are playing as seperate armies, then you will each have a Warlord.

The other questions will have varying answers depending on which set-up you are using.  So it would be pre-emptive to answer them now.

Thanks for the feedback Brothers

If I play as primary att and him as allied att then do my warlord traits work on his army such as UM chapter tactics, do they work the same on his dark angels? 

I understand that if we play as battle brothers then we each are really a separate armie with our own warlord traits to use as we would normally.

Chapter Tactics aren't Warlord Traits, they're separate things.

The Warlord Trait rules are on page 111 of the BRB.

How they interact with Allies is on page 112 of the BRB.

Chapter Tactics are on page 77 & 78 of Codex Space Marines.

Generally speaking they only affect models from a Codex Space Marines Detachment (there are some exceptions, usually related to special rules that state "a unit with one or more models with this special rule...")

Now if you are using a Primary Detachment from Codex Space Marines and your son is using an Allied Detachment from Codex Dark Angels all as part of one army then:

- the Warlord will be one of the Characters from the Primary Detachment (Space Marines)

- his Warlord Trait may effect the Dark Angels (depending on what it is, and how it's worded).

- if you are using Chapter Tactics Ultramarines - the three doctrines only affect models from an Ultramarines Detachment, the Dark Angels will get no benefit, even with characters joining units etc.

- whereas. if you used Chapter Tactics White Scars, Hit and Run is a special rule with the line "a unit with one or more models with this special rule..." so a White Scar Character that (is not wearing Terminator Armour that) joins a unit of Dark Angels will give that unit Hit and Run (likewise, a Dark Angel character that joins a unit of White Scars (that is not wearing Terminator Armour or a Centurion Warsuit) will gain Hit and Run).

If you each run a separate army (rather than primary+ally) then you will each have a Warlord, however neither of you may benefit from each others rules, your characters may not join each others units, etc. Your armies are entirely separate.

Hope this is clear enough, I'm somewhat sleep deprived at the moment ;)

I understand that if we play as battle brothers then we each are really a separate armie with our own warlord traits to use as we would normally.

Team games are a little wonky and will have stipulations outside of the normal rules to be addressed. But one thing to remember, A Primary Detachment + Allied Detachment = ONE army.

For example, my LGS runs a team tournament once a quarter. For these the teams are not an Allied Detachment to each other, but they are still to treat each other as their Allied equivalent. So, each player would have a Warlord, and if they are Battle Brothers, Psyker Powers and abilities that affect "friendly models within x inches" would still work together. But that's how my LGS runs it.

Many team tournaments have taken to having two primary detachments, but only allowing the players to take combinations that would be considered battle brothers, or giving them incentives to do so, in order to cut down on the power combos- like DE+Tau.

As an example of what might be allowed in a doubles tournament, these are the rules for GWs own Battle Brothers events:

Warhammer 40,000: A 1,500 point army chosen between two people using the rules from pages 108 – 113 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook.

Example 1: Adam and Rob are going to Battle Brothers and between them they need to fill a single 1,500 point army. Adam spends 800 points on a primary
detachment of Black Templars and Rob spends 600 points on Blood Angels as an allied detachment following the rules in the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook. Between them they then spend 100 points on fortifications, giving them their 1,500 point army.

Example 2: Gareth and Ray are also going to Battle Brothers and between them they are taking 1,500 points of Orks as a single army. Gareth will use 900
points of the Orks and Ray will use 600 points, giving them a single 1,500 point army from one Codex.

In such an event, the warlord would always come from the Primary detachment. Any psychic powers, warlord traits, chapter tactics etc would work on the other players force only in accordance with the normal rules.

In example one the Black Templars would have the Warlord. Blood Angels are battle brothers with BT so psychic powers could be cast on them etc.

In example two they are a single detachment and the warlord would be the character with the highest Ld as usual. Any powers, abilities etc would work on any unit in the army in the usual way.

Greetings Brothers 

Quick question, my son Dark Angels and my self UM are going to go into a torny together as battle brothers, and I am assuming that we have our own Warlords is that right, ie no cross over of Warlord traits? and secondly I am assuming that my Warlord traits only apply to my army and his to his? Unless my UM can be primary detachment and he becomes an allied attachment but I again assume that is not possible, different codex? Thanks Brothers

I don't think any of us can really answer your question. Only the organiser of the tournament can give you a definitive answer on how the team aspect is going to work. Are you able to provide a link to the rules pack for the event?

Archived