Finally starting Imperial fists!

Yellow: I base coated the models white.  Then I used a brown (from a paint line for model railroads, kind of a snakebite leather) with an airbrush to paint the whole model.  I then used a yellow from the same paint line as the brown (boxcar yellow, comparable to flash gitz yellow, or whatever the brightest yellow is called these days….). I covered the whole model with the yellow.  I then used the new devlan mud equivalent to wash all of the cracks and recesses (carefully). I then used the flash gitz yellow to paint the raised areas. Was easier than I was anticipating. 

If I can, I REALLY want to see the banner on the sarge.

Captain, I'm REALLY impressed with how crisp your armour is coming out. I'm looking forward to doing some test models using various recipes I've found here on the B&C, and yours is one of them!

That is, when my damn siege vanguard arrives from 'Straya. Note to everyone: when shipping belongings from one side of the planet to the other, prepare for months of craving and disappointment! This is one facet of it, I also have my drumkit, guitars, basses, didgeridoos and 4 years of accumulated crap I'm missing!

Random vent over, I do love your scheme, and excited to see these scouts!

Hey captain,

Just got your PM, sorry for the slow response!

Some lovely work on the banner... nd I'm liking the cloaks on the scouts so far. Looking forward to seeing these completed.

Have you considered a wash or weathering powders, I think they'd be stratospheric then... :D

Concerning shoulder pads: the left (black) pad denotes company. The right (red) pad marks squad color. Also, the inset color on the sarge banner will match the squad color. This honors their own heraldry and functionally will be necessary, as the list I'm building will have over 60 marines in it

These look great overall, but this isn't how the Imperial Fists denote company. They follow codex-pattern and do the same thing as the Ultramarines - both trims white for veterans, yellow for 2nd, red for 3rd, green for 4th, black for 5th, and so on. Like the Ultramarines, they do not have a 'default' trim colour - the studio's army just happens to be 3rd Company and so has the red trim. 

Your painting is incredibly clean and crisp, but the mis-matched shoulder pads really, really throw it off for me. :confused: 

It's your army and paint it how you like it, but this won't be the only place you get funny looks for it. 

@Engel: First, yes I agree with you. It does look very odd. And, I do in fact like the double black pads better! But, my list has 60 marines on foot and I can't imagine having to tell them all apart....

Additionally, I did do quite a bit of ready on squad heraldry and markings. Several places stated that though there is the Codex Standards, the Codex Asartes actually and explicitly encourages chapter masters to periodically alter the heraldry periodically, so as to confuse the enemy. So, it's not entirely unreasonable...

Also, I recently painted a space wolf army for a friend using the sane technique for the pads. On the first squad, it also looked odd. But as squads were added the eye picks up the pattern and it ended up looking pretty neat.

All of that to say, I really appreciate the feedback and I hope you continue to follow the thread. I am curious to see what your reaction will be after I add a couple squads.

Thanks!

@Engel: First, yes I agree with you. It does look very odd. And, I do in fact like the double black pads better! But, my list has 60 marines on foot and I can't imagine having to tell them all apart....

Some of us have been doing it with 100+ for decades. :wink: 

To be fair, I have numbers painted underneath the bases. 

mccaptain, on 28 Mar 2014 - 11:56, said:

Additionally, I did do quite a bit of ready on squad heraldry and markings. Several places stated that though there is the Codex Standards, the Codex Asartes actually and explicitly encourages chapter masters to periodically alter the heraldry periodically, so as to confuse the enemy. So, it's not entirely unreasonable...

Hey, like others said, it's your army. :smile.: 

This is my excuse for why my Imperial Fists, who use red skulls for sergeants, white trims and helmets for vets and red/white helmets for Veteran Sergeants. My other excuse is that the red stripe looks silly. :wink:

Edited by Inquisitor Engel