Finally starting Imperial fists!

It's the GW "paint" that is specifically for basing city terrain models. Can't recall the name. It's the same stuff I used on the finished models. The rubble pieces are dried mortar from a home renovation project. :)

I take out a glob and then add several drops of water. I find that even significantly thinned down it still does the job. Makes it last longer and it spreads easier. As a poor man option, you could mix fine sand and watered down PVA glue.

Example: These guys were done using same method. Watered down PVA and fine sand. Then spray painted brown (I paint bases detached from model) and dry brushed a lighter brown. Cheap paints work for this. I use the $3 spray can and a small can of home wall paint. Then I flocked with some material I bought from a big box craft store or a model railroad store, can't remember. Anyway, it came in about a pint sized bottle for about $7. All together, I spent about $25 and have enough supply to base an entire chapter...... I ever built an entire board and scenery to match.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/McCaptain/IMG_5296.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/McCaptain/casewolves013.jpg

I wanted to have black on the model, as they are attached to the 5th company, but thought black cloth would look odd. It also adds some contrast to the rest of the army.

Hmm. See, I'm doing black cloth for mine since it's kinda stealthy and focuses the viewer's attention on the armor and their faces. But your reasoning works as well! It will be fun to compare finished products.