Flying Tyrant

Brother Bahram

Maybe this has been asked before, but how do I beat 'Nids with a flying Tyrant with my Deathwing?

I havn't met this guy before, only watched some games he has played.

At 750p his got two squads of, cheap Termagant Broods (2x20), 2 or 3 Zoanthrops and his Tyrant (maybe its more stuff that I have no clue of)

But, it is this flying bastard, that makes it hard 'cos it´s flying.

Suggestions?

At low points with deathwing I guess it can be a bit annoying but the tyrant has some big weaknesses.

As long as you shoot it with enough units it will fail it's grounding test and on a 2+ take a wound from then just shoot it with whatever since it's only T6 and a 3+ save and no inv save. Stuff like plasma is preferred. If you can get close to it then storm shield terminators will destroy it in close combat since it only has 4 wounds and no inv save, you might lose 1-2 termis doing this but he will lose way more ponts.

Another thing if you are looking to just beat his list. kill those zoans quickly, then he will lose synapse for his termagaunts and they will start running off the board.

Looking at what he has you have 2 options:

1 - Focus on his troops, kill them and he'll struggle to win most missions.

2 - Focus on the Hive Tyrant with high volume shots in order to ground it, then pummel it until it dies.  Then kill the Zoanthropes and watch his Gaunts fall apart thanks to a lack of synapse.  Deathwing assault is a good tool for this.  5 Deathwing with 4 Storm Bolters and an Assault Cannon perform a Deathwing Assault (and thus gain twin-linked) thus giving you a good chance of getting a few hits, so long as you hit him once he then has a 1/3 chance of falling to the ground, at which point you just shoot him to pieces with the rest of your forces.

A possible third option is to focus on killing the Zoanthropes first, this will leave his Tyrant as his only source of synapse, so may anchor him close to the Gaunts thus allowing you to out-manoeuvre him.

Tyranids really struggle without synapse.  The old saying of "shoot the big ones (with synapse) first" has always been a good motto against them.

I'm assuming you're taking 2 squads of deathwing and Belial? If so don't worry about the Flyrant. He's a punk. Like others have said take out his troops. He's too fast for you to get close enough to charge him if he fails his grounding test. So make him come to you. Threaten his troops and he'll have to come down and deal with you.

I'm assuming you're taking 2 squads of deathwing and Belial? If so don't worry about the Flyrant. He's a punk. Like others have said take out his troops. He's too fast for you to get close enough to charge him if he fails his grounding test. So make him come to you. Threaten his troops and he'll have to come down and deal with you.

Thank you all for your tips!

I wouldn't bother with the "if you can manage to land a hit (you will), he'll fall to the ground 1/3 of the time" bit, it's only 1/3 of the time, and it'll take at least half of your shooting (since you only have two squads) to do it.  I like the other suggestion better.  DWA and kill his Zoans.  I'm assuming you have 13 terminators, including Belial?   Anyway, two CMLs should do the trick.  Krak missiles for the big bugs, frag missiles for the little ones.  If you can kill off the Zoans on turn one, you'll almost auto-win.

I wouldn't bother with the "if you can manage to land a hit (you will), he'll fall to the ground 1/3 of the time" bit, it's only 1/3 of the time, and it'll take at least half of your shooting (since you only have two squads) to do it. I like the other suggestion better. DWA and kill his Zoans. I'm assuming you have 13 terminators, including Belial? Anyway, two CMLs should do the trick. Krak missiles for the big bugs, frag missiles for the little ones. If you can kill off the Zoans on turn one, you'll almost auto-win.

This sounds good and I'll try that when I meet him whoops.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, the twin link devourers the Flyrant will almost certainly be packing is NOT AP2, so despite wounding most of the time, at least you get your armour saves all the time also. Its still a huge amount of :cusss, seven or ten twin linked shots, but at least not rending.

So unless he chooses to go to ground, forget about him and focus on other synapse and troops. Save the DWK for big ones like Tyranofex, Carnifexes and most important, Tervigons who are the only other big synapse he has besides Flyrant and other hero Tyranid units. hope this helps.

one thing I tried vs a friend that just started nids was to deepstrike in front of his line with 5 or so squads of termies (each with 2 claws, 1 CML, 1 hammer(sgt), 2 PF/SB) and a command near with the ret banner. I'm sure this may not work on all nid lists, but it made him crap bricks lol.

The codex says any model can replaces its weapons for TH SS or claws though, not just the the normal termies.

Also it says in the weapon upgrades that it would replace all weapons to trade weapons, ifit was just the PF and bolter it would just say them, that why the Sgt is included.

Pyro, you know better!

LOL...anyway, my LGS believes that GW did not intend to eliminate our sergeants' ability to swop out weapons, but as a group that hosts an RTT has a strong presence, the rule is (reluctantly) enforced as written in local league and tournament games.

Archived