New Night Lords bits from Forge World

Chaos is so diversified that saying one thing does not apply to everyone.  Whether it be Alpha Legion using Loyalist equipment, Iron Warriors being spikey marines, or mutant mk IV armor Crimson Slaughter or Raptors.

Although there are a few obvious leanings and slow/expensive updates.

I can see uses for these for some Word Bearers acolytes/apostles extra evil skull helms to form a dark mockery of imperial chaplains. Some of the torsoes could work for WB too.

Damn it. I was trying really hard to resist thinking this,

They are very nice but they don't mesh well with the direction that chaos models are going. Great for 30k.

Don't see why not. Not all traitors would look like the Crimson Slaughter warped and ornamented style.
No they wouldn't all but really if you're going to spend 10,000 years in the warp it's going to change you. Really just the ones dwelling outside the EOT would still possibly look like this.
Time flows differently in the warp. Who's to say that a warband have only been in the eye for a century or two but 10,000 years have passed in the materium.

I've never seen anyone except ADB claim their Night Lords have not spent 10,000 years in the warp. It's the big reason everyone claims our troops should be better than their space marine counterparts.

Scribe, I don't think they mesh well with the current asthetics but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

10,000 years objectively to the outside world. A day, an hour, a hundred years, 20,000 years, five seconds, a million years, more or less inside. There's no way of telling while you're in there.

They are very nice but they don't mesh well with the direction that chaos models are going. Great for 30k.

Don't see why not. Not all traitors would look like the Crimson Slaughter warped and ornamented style.

No they wouldn't all but really if you're going to spend 10,000 years in the warp it's going to change you. Really just the ones dwelling outside the EOT would still possibly look like this.

Time flows differently in the warp. Who's to say that a warband have only been in the eye for a century or two but 10,000 years have passed in the materium.

I've never seen anyone except ADB claim their Night Lords have not spent 10,000 years in the warp. It's the big reason everyone claims our troops should be better than their space marine counterparts.

Scribe, I don't think they mesh well with the current asthetics but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

10,000 years objectively to the outside world. A day, an hour, a hundred years, 20,000 years, five seconds, a million years, more or less inside. There's no way of telling while you're in there.

Well, one thing that is traditional to the Night Lords fluff since the IA article is that while they have no problem making bargains with the warp, they are remarkably pure in the physical sense. Very few Night Lord fans go the warp lightning route for example. So while these may not be general consensus, they are able to provide that "unique outlook" many Chaos players strive for.

Those "bargains" include possession and gifts to the point of Daemon Princehood, though.

It's still pragmatic instead of worshipful, but physical mutations will be there.

I didn't say those bargains didn't. Doesn't negate the fact they are noted for being remarkably pure. msn-wink.gif

Yes, that's been part of the fluff since the beginning obviously. Point is most players claim their marines have been alive for 10,000 years in their fluff.

Yes, that's been part of the fluff since the beginning obviously. Point is most players claim their marines have been alive for 10,000 years in their fluff.

And ADB didn't say otherwise. All the Night Lords novels said is that from Talos's perspective it feels like less than that, the Heresy's fresher in his mind than it even is to the rest of First Claw.

And ADB didn't say otherwise. All the Night Lords novels said is that from Talos's perspective it feels like less than that, the Heresy's fresher in his mind than it even is to the rest of First Claw.

I think both of you are arguing the same thing. As both of you have pointed out, how one perceives the flow of time from within the warp is literally subjective to each individual person. And as both pointed out, it could be anywhere from one year to ten thousand years, even more or less.

And as both pointed out, it means that as far as visuals go, the CSM should have little to no mutation to extreme mutation.

However, most players who write backgrounds for Traitors tend to want their Traitors to be as old as possible. To give it that "ancient threat that has once more arisen" feel. Not the "With the Heresy only a few hundred years behind them, Bob and his Builders sallied forth into the 41st Millennium at the end of a massive Crusade."

Unless I'm wrong of course and neither one of you have said that.

No I think you're right, I think we're probably all agreeing in different terms.

Personally I like the fusion of Ancient Threat and The Heresy Feels Like Yesterday, instead of juxtaposing them. Views on the Long War from us as players will be as varied as the Warp's timeline feels to the CSM themselves. For me the draw of Chaos Legions is that it brings the time of legend into the present.

I do disagree with the idea that 10,000 objective years means that any random Chaos Joe is always the equal of any Loyalist Captain, though.

For me I always likened the experience of Chaos Marines to that of Codex Astartes Officers like Captains and such. I mean you gotta think, most of the original legionnaires were fighting long before the heresy, then they go into the Eye for what may seem like a couple hundred years, on and off, you have incredibly veteran guys, but not guys who've lived and counted down every single calendar day for the past 10,000 years. If all the veteran Chaos Legionnaires had lived for 10,000 years they'd either all be dead or demon princes. You have to be INCREDIBLY unproductive and demotivated to still be a tactical joe after 10,000 years of being a space marine.

However, most players who write backgrounds for Traitors tend to want their Traitors to be as old as possible. To give it that "ancient threat that has once more arisen" feel. Not the "With the Heresy only a few hundred years behind them, Bob and his Builders sallied forth into the 41st Millennium at the end of a massive Crusade."

Kol this was the point I was trying to get across but you explained it better.

For me I always likened the experience of Chaos Marines to that of Codex Astartes Officers like Captains and such. I mean you gotta think, most of the original legionnaires were fighting long before the heresy, then they go into the Eye for what may seem like a couple hundred years, on and off, you have incredibly veteran guys, but not guys who've lived and counted down every single calendar day for the past 10,000 years. If all the veteran Chaos Legionnaires had lived for 10,000 years they'd either all be dead or demon princes. You have to be INCREDIBLY unproductive and demotivated to still be a tactical joe after 10,000 years of being a space marine.

Sometimes the best pawn is a pawn.

Archived