"Alternate" Nurgle

So after a while, I get tired of constantly looking at bloated monstrosities who can barely contain their own entrails.  That being said, I'm very interested in those dedicated to Nurgle which still maintain some sleek composition.  Marines who ooze, bleed or cry the ravenous bileblood of Nurgle are still very interesting.

I'm going to be making my army based on some of these concepts (The Purge, The Cleaved) but this will take a while.  I just want to jot ideas and get feedback from you gents and ladyfolk.

I have a couple of cleaved models, the oozing is a blast to paint.

I've converted the plague marines to be bloated, but the previous codex had regular marines in the scheme without the bloat.

They are just sentient liquid ooze in power armour... no bare heads!

Well I have three squads of Plague Marines.  I'm slow and on a tight budget, so I'm going to have to get more creative with them. 

My HQ, vehicles, newer infantry and havocs however will be easier to go through.  I just have to decide if I want to do The Cleaved, or go entirely separate. (like I always try)

I also didn't like the bloated look, i went with a rat them to my burgle army. theres some pictures in the WIP thread in my signature

All hail Burgle! lol =P

I'm also planning on a Cleaved look to my Marines as well because I don't entirely like the whole bloated look either. For some of the more "veteran" Marines, I think I could be ok with that kind of zombie look since they've been decaying a little longer.

I also didn't like the bloated look, i went with a rat them to my burgle army. theres some pictures in the WIP thread in my signature

All hail Burgle! lol =P

I'm also planning on a Cleaved look to my Marines as well because I don't entirely like the whole bloated look either. For some of the more "veteran" Marines, I think I could be ok with that kind of zombie look since they've been decaying a little longer.

Its apple's bloody spell check. it also changes nurglings into nurselings 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started going down the skeletal / undead look and feel after doing a fair number of bloated versions of Plague Marine conversions.  One example of one I did was a simple conversion of some skeletal bits, particularly of the head/skull:

Tutorial on my blog here:

http://crankyoldgamer.net/CrankyBlog/mr-skull-head-plague-marine-tutorial/

Picture of the conversion below.  You can also do this with arms and torso and such with GW or other brand skeleton bits. These are really fun conversions.

http://www.crankyoldgamer.net/img/miniatures/40k/chaos/plague_marine_skull_head/009.jpg

These are some of the Plague Marines I'm working on for my Night Lords, I opted for the whole 'emaciated skeleton' look as well:

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/1622799_10152574103428761_1578834148_n_zps821ddb5b.jpg

Well one of my friends simply painted the marines as per desired scheme and made several bolt holes in their armor, then he simply applied Nurgle's Rot, the new technical color to make them look like they are oozing copious amounts of sludge from their bodies. Overall the effect is nice but requires a bright scheme, like the more white one of the Death Guard. That and rusted weapons, painted by the new technical, Ryza Rust, are very interesting and easy to paint. 

What I do for emaciated bits is rather extreme, but it works for me. I start with a loyalist marine, and remove any loyalist markings. Then I choose a side of the marine that will become the emaciated part. Then I add ribbing on the breastplate made of floral wire covered in a paper thin sheet of green stuff. I then shave down the leg until I remove about a third of the material. I then add a band of green stuff to the top and bottom of the thigh, blending it towards the center of the thigh, making parallel grooves in the direction of the thigh. I tease the top edge out so the armor looks like bony growths. For the greaves, I use multiple techniques depending on the base model, but largely it focuses on adding growths to either improve the armor or show their allegiance with fungal growths. I then adding bulky bits to the other side for contrast.

For me, obviously, I tend to gravitate towards blood-based diseases when I think of my Nurgle converts. I haven't modeled anything specific in that area, opting instead for basic Nurgle iconography, but if I wanted to emphasize it I would make a lot of use of traditionally "Slaaneshi" bits, the syringes and vials and the like, as blood-contaminated needles instead of drugs.

Archived