Pinning Lorenzen to the Matte...

Hyaenidae

Get it? :P

So, as per Lorenzen's and my little bet, here is my attempt at a matte-colored Executioner, instead of the usual blue-metal-sparkles color most people run with. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I think that there's potential, at least. Challenging Lo was fun as well, as I consider him one of my painting mentors, and I admire much of his work. Hopefully my own humble work can match up with his awesomeness (though I doubt it, lol)

gallery_37532_9334_96767.pnggallery_37532_9334_6881.pnggallery_37532_9334_326765.png

Thanks, guys.  :)

It looks great.

Did you greenstuff the parchment over the left shoulder pad?

Nope, it was a Black Templar pad, I just shaved off the cross.

Heathens, you mind me asking what colors you use?

Um, kinda? I started with about 40% Kantor blue and 60% codex grey, then slowly added a little Kantor, White, and a little ice blue, until I got a nice pale blue-grey. I then used some very watered down Asurmen Blue, and washed the model about three times, giving it a nice tone. I highlighted the edges with some fortress grey, then washed it again with the same blue, to tone the grey down, the rehighted the highest points with fortress grey again.

Pretty easy, but time consuming as hell.

Thanks man, I'm starting the Laughing Axemen as my return to 40k to tie into my Imperial Fist considering I'm reworking the entire background. Much Appreciated!

I think he looks ace, man. The overall composition of the model is great along with the stellar paintjob. Though I can certainly tell your blood still needs a bit of work.... ;)

I must confess, I think my vote would have to go to Lorenzen's though, but that might just be because that's the first time I've ever seen someone successfully pull off that metallic blue so well... Sorry brother.. pinch.gif

Looks good dude, darker blue than I was expecting.. part of me was wondering if half way through painting you'd go "aww crap hes a space wolf" but youve managed to avoid that pitfall nicely. I do think that on a line marine the matte finish would lose some of its "executioneriness" but with a few well chosen bits (something you have a knack for) that could be circumvented.

Good job. ;)

Ah man, I think I'm preferring the matte colour too - can we get a side-by-side comparison shot??

Win or lose, it's a great looking model!

When my worthy opponent has completed his Axeman, that may be a possibility; with his blessing, of course.

Looks good dude, darker blue than I was expecting.. part of me was wondering if half way through painting you'd go "aww crap hes a space wolf" but youve managed to avoid that pitfall nicely. I do think that on a line marine the matte finish would lose some of its "executioneriness" but with a few well chosen bits (something you have a knack for) that could be circumvented.

Good job. msn-wink.gif

Bro, no kidding, that was what I thought after the first wash; 'It's a damn Wolf'. Same with the second. I was about to chuck the towel, and decided to hit it with one last wash, and suddenly I felt a little better. The shade came out nice after that. Still, the blue-with-yellow scheme kinda irked me, even though I knew I wasn't that far off, thus the decision to use the banner pinned pad. I knew you couldn't mistake this dude for a Wolf when there was a giant Fist on his shoulder, lol.

Thanks, man. It means a lot. Now, where's your finished model? Time's a tickin'..... :P

Get it? tongue.png

So, as per Lorenzen's and my little bet, here is my attempt at a matte-colored Executioner, instead of the usual blue-metal-sparkles color most people run with. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I think that there's potential, at least. Challenging Lo was fun as well, as I consider him one of my painting mentors, and I admire much of his work. Hopefully my own humble work can match up with his awesomeness (though I doubt it, lol)

gallery_37532_9334_96767.pnggallery_37532_9334_6881.pnggallery_37532_9334_326765.png

@1000heathens - Nice model there and the Plasma Pistol from the 25th Anniversary figure no less.

I think you have the Yam Yam on the ropes.

That's the nicest Executioner I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of these guys, and you've captured the spirit of the chapter perfectly here. You absolutely nailed the freehand chapter heraldry on the pauldron, and modelling-wise the trophy skulls are a great touch. I think you dodged the "wolf trap" nicely, and he looks better for not having the usual metallic sheen.

That pun's making my eyelid twitch. You're a dad, aren't you? I swear fatherhood is defined by two things - an appreciation for sleep and a manic devotion to spread the most eye wrenchingly terrible puns in existence.

Overall that guy is amazing (thought about making a Killzone team of these guys? Only needs to be 10 models or so and they can all be equipped very differently) but the show stealer is the freehand. I love that freehand fist. Consider doing Crimson Fists if you haven't already, lol.

Nicely done, must admit to sitting on the fence and saying I like both yours and Lorenzens representations of an Executioner. I personally prefer a matte finish but Lorenzen has pulled off the metallic colour flawlessly.

Only criticism from me is god damn that helmet is ugly, why they made the grill look like a pigs snout is beyond me.

Archived