Dark Angels in Afghanistan

Hopper21

Firstly hello! New here, been lurking for a few weeks now.

I've returned to the hobby after a good 18 year break! My brother started back last year and has called me out like the old times for a match. As the title says I'm deploying out to afghan in a weeks time so I'll be using this time to paint up my dark angels angel army (not front line, flying a desk). I was hoping for some assistance in what to buy? We've agreed on 1000pt lists and I've looked around at some examples today, and I was fairly set on gun line list. How ever today talking to my bro he let out what he's going to be fielding.

Typhus nurlgle lord

7 plague marines

10 chaos space marines

40 zombies

Forge fiend

Hell brute

All I have so far is a 10 man TAC squad with PC and PG and a Libby, what do you guys think I should buy to tackle this? Every time I go through my codex I scratch my head, go easy with me to as I'm not to familiar with the rules yet. Last time I played 40k kids were getting lead poisoning and playing space hulk.

Cheers I hope you can keep me company on some night shifts!

Firstly hello! New here, been lurking for a few weeks now.

I've returned to the hobby after a good 18 year break! My brother started back last year and has called me out like the old times for a match. As the title says I'm deploying out to afghan in a weeks time so I'll be using this time to paint up my dark angels angel army (not front line, flying a desk). I was hoping for some assistance in what to buy? We've agreed on 1000pt lists and I've looked around at some examples today, and I was fairly set on gun line list. How ever today talking to my bro he let out what he's going to be fielding.

Typhus nurlgle lord

7 plague marines

10 chaos space marines

40 zombies

Forge fiend

Hell brute

All I have so far is a 10 man TAC squad with PC and PG and a Libby, what do you guys think I should buy to tackle this? Every time I go through my codex I scratch my head, go easy with me to as I'm not to familiar with the rules yet. Last time I played 40k kids were getting lead poisoning and playing space hulk.

Cheers I hope you can keep me company on some night shifts!

Crazy, I painted most of my Dark Angels in Afghanistan too....

The Dark Vengeance box set is a great place to start. If you run the HQ as Azreal, all of other stuff counts as troops.

Other than that, Black Knights are pretty sweet.

Is there any particular aspect of Dark Angels that interests you?

Where in Afghan are you heading. Staff safe!

I did some of mine while I was down range also. Good place to find spray paint is the motor pool, fyi. Also when your ready to leave, they can get rid of it also. If you get extra bike from the vengeance set you can mod them to black knights also.

Wow loads of forces guys on here awesome, it's a pain as I can't fly out with aerosols. So my bro is sending my stuff base coated as and when I order it. Going to be rocking out Bastion Holiday camp!

I like the dark knight models, if I'm honest I like it all ravenwing and greenwing! When he said 40 zombies tho I was like that's more than my army...

On taking on the list. Maybe a deb squad, another tac squad and command with dakka banner? At 1000 points you don't really need it because it may unbalance the list (in your favor) but transports may be nice also. I would get a tac squad off eBay because the vengeance ones look awesome and are cheap. The dev squad is good also foe the brute. Another route would be scouts but that's preferance (o like the myself).

I love the fine cast stuff to. Just looking at models I like I quite like this but not sure how it will work as an army.

Belial

Dark knights

10 man tac squad with PC PG

3 man ravenwing squad

Dark shroud

Nephilm jet fighter

Tac squad will be I'm drop pod to

In*

Hello there!

Belial's a great HQ but he's a bit too expensive in 1000 points - nearly a fifth of your army in one single model could be investing too much in one area. (Maybe a Librarian could help you allocate the points elsewhere..?)

I think everything else in your army's pretty rounded - having the Dark Shroud gives some great synergy with your Ravenwing units in the form of a cover save. The extra toughness will probably be needed when it comes to going against Plague Marines since those guys are TOUGH to bring down.

You may want another Tactical Squad - you really need at least one HQ and two Troops for the backbone of your army for most variations of the game. I think this'll also help give you a good go at painting all of the models while still keeping things light enough that you'll have a sense of accomplishment when you have several units on the board. (yeaah... going against that many zombies could be tough..!)

I think the Nephilim and the Dark Shroud will make worthy additions to clearning, building and painting - but be really careful with the Dark Shroud - while it's not exactly fragile, it's hard to transport safely without chipping/breaking the smaller parts off.

Good luck..! (on all fronts!)

At 1k points, I'd go for a lascannon devastator squad, a librarian with prescience and a power field generator, three plas/plas/combiplas tactical squads, and a vindicator with a siege shield and extra armor.  41 marines won't be that seriously outnumbered at 1k points (and will outnumber most MEQs), and you're bristling with AP-everything shooting.

When you say Dark Knights, do you mean Deathwing or Ravenwing knights?

Both are really heavy hitters, but will take up a large chunk of your points. At 1000 points I would look at building my list with that unit in mind and how you are going to support it.

I think your list is a good starting point, however you only have one troop choice. If you're running Belial, you may want to add a standard Deathwing squad or Tac squad as the second.

If you can, it's worth sticking together and priming the stuff before you go. From experience, movers can be a pain the backside. Just make sure it package well. It's a shame I wasn't going out on this, as I was meant to, we could have chatted about it over a brew.

Thanks for the replies guys, I meant deathwing knights, my brother has just said I'm missing a troop choice. I wanted to base them all before I went and take them out but I couldn't afford the initial outlay so I'm getting them sent out to me as and when I finish painting what I've got. It seems my original army list of.

Libby

Command squad - plasma gun, banner of devastation, apothecary, champion

X 1 10man tac squad PC PG

X 1 5 man combat squad with PC

Aegis defence line

Dark shroud

X3 Ravenwing knights

Seems to be better ? I can see these bloody zombies just walking over me and I know plaque marines are, will I able to deal with this typhus with big standard characters ?

When you say Dark Knights, do you mean Deathwing or Ravenwing knights?

Both are really heavy hitters, but will take up a large chunk of your points. At 1000 points I would look at building my list with that unit in mind and how you are going to support it.

I think your list is a good starting point, however you only have one troop choice. If you're running Belial, you may want to add a standard Deathwing squad or Tac squad as the second.

If you can, it's worth sticking together and priming the stuff before you go. From experience, movers can be a pain the backside. Just make sure it package well. It's a shame I wasn't going out on this, as I was meant to, we could have chatted about it over a brew.

The RAF can be difficult sometimes! Im hoping someone else out there is painting some stuff by all accounts there quite a few out there passing the time!

Well I attempted to paint while in the desert but it ended up looking like a monkey used his toes (funny it hasn't gotten any better since I've gotten home.) Anyway the Deathwing Knights I find do really well and since you're taking on Chaos those maces will be AP3 the hardest part will be getting them to the fight since a Land Raider wont be viable in 1000pts. Good luck and don't let the desk drive you insane.

P.S. Don't hand to hand Typhus. Just shoot with plasma. Don't forget that Command Squad can have 4 plasma guns for 175 pts so not bad. But recommend shooting lots of shooting. The Knights would do well with their Str 10 smite mode.

It's just for members of the inner circle, That_One_Marshall.

I agree: Avoid close combat with Typhus. Run a Plasma gun line on him at all times. Nuke him, never knife him. msn-wink.gif

Oh, and a Whirlwind is only 65pts, and makes a mess of zombie hordes.

Yeah go with Dakka Pred's (Autocannon and Heavy Bolters) and bring the Whirlwind for horde control as well. Attaching a company master to some Plasma Command squad gives you Preferred enemy so you can reroll those ones against chaos and it does double duty since you need some plasma for plague marines. Give the Chapter Master the Lions Roar (or take Azrael) and he can give you one good round of plasma pie plate of doomage. Helps to add to the wounds and every wound helps.

Pretty much all of the above.

I'm into two DV sets in a big way it gives you everything you need to make whatever you like for a very cheap price.

Of course you will have to do conversion work if you want to run black knights etc and don't fall into the conversion trap as it can be time consuming. After all I have libby on a bike, techmarine on a bike, black knights, deathwing knights, marines with phobos pattern bolt pistols (the DV models don't have pistols) and while seriously cool it still takes time from painting........and remembering to post pictures, well........

Well that's me about packed! I've been busy with my credit card and brought the rest of my army, I've gone for the two tac squads, command squad with Libby and Dakka banner, dark shroud, dark knights ,and a whirlwind

Thank you all, for all your advice and replies really awesome! I'll keep you all posted and try post up some pics around theatre and how the painting is going. Doing a bit of a blog will give me something else to do when not on shift!

Andy

Well that's me about packed! I've been busy with my credit card and brought the rest of my army, I've gone for the two tac squads, command squad with Libby and Dakka banner, dark shroud, dark knights ,and a whirlwind

Thank you all, for all your advice and replies really awesome! I'll keep you all posted and try post up some pics around theatre and how the painting is going. Doing a bit of a blog will give me something else to do when not on shift!

Andy

Nice one!

Keep your head down mate, hope to see you back at the rock soon.

DM

Archived