A new thousand Sons Daemon Prince

So, the Army builder attention deficient disorder kicking in again. I was surfing around the net and happened upon an image that just hit my mind
with an instant "OHH!" Must make that as a daemon prince!"

http://pgwebdesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Anubis-god-afterlife-Egyptian-mythology-digital-art.jpg

The image is of the Egyptian god, Anubas as done by the super-talented digital artist known as Gencoman. If you're interested in checking out more work from him, I would strongly advise you to check
out his deviant art page.
But wait! Deamon Princes basically HAVE to have wings to be useful in the game. Anubas doesn't have wings. So what do I do? Add wings? Eh...
no. not so much. I had a different idea:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/Chaos%20Space%20Marines/SAM_0874_zps1f7f73f5.jpg

So I built a sort of floating base that will be mounted on a flight stand. 3 layers of insulation foam glued together and then carved down
forms the basis of the base. The base itself is from Dragon Forge Designs.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/Chaos%20Space%20Marines/SAM_0875_zpsf1fd6f3e.jpg

I applied a layer of sheet styreen with a tile etched pattern on it to the top of the foam, making this look like the Daemon used a spell or
power of some form to raise up a portion of the ground he was standing on.

Anubis... Important to get it right if your a Thousand Sons player!

Interesting mythology on the afterlife tradition of Anubis, he was said to weigh the hearts of the dead on a scales to decide if theor hearts were light enough to be deserving of rebirth in the stars, or if their heart weighed heavy and dragged them into the underworld to be devoured and sent to a form of purgatory.

Well worth researching your Egyptian mythology, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the progress on this!

nice to know about. Not sure it's of any value to this current project. But if I do an egyptian themed Chaos army that will certainly be in my ranks. Thanks for the link.

The jackal headed Ushabti may or may not be useful for you:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1230026a

Yeah... not totally sold on the Ushabti models. For the moment I'm gonna try and go with modifying a Thunderwolf head. We'll see how it goes.

Not sure if the scale is right, but maybe puppetswar's Anubis Heads would interest you.

I really like the idea of a floating rock, but I think you could make the underside of the rock a bit more jagged and flatter.

the puppetWar heads are more space marine sized. Too small for a daemon prince.

And how can something be jagged and flat? Those are literally opposite concepts.

I think what he means is a lower profile (ie. less space between the platform and the lowermost edge) and a more broken-looking jagged bottom. I think it's ok as it is, but I see where he's coming from.

That's exactly what I meant. Sorry for causing confusion.

I think what he means is a lower profile (ie. less space between the platform and the lowermost edge) and a more broken-looking jagged bottom. I think it's ok as it is, but I see where he's coming from.

That's exactly what I meant. Sorry for causing confusion.

ah gotcha. I am going for more of a jagged rock bottom, but it's pretty much a no-go with the foam. So I'm going to be building it up with green stuff and other materials to get the rocky effect.

Archived