A few modeling questions...

crimsonfist123

So, I've been out of the game for a few years and just had a few questions for you guys regarding some of the new models. I know that DA can't use Stormravens and Centurions, but if I was to put them in my army would you guys paint the stormraven ravenwing colors or standard DA colors? Also, would you paint the centurions deathwing colors?

Thanks guys!

For me, no. To me they are not Dark Angles. For you, I wouldn't say anything (well I would say they are Fallen :P) because they are your models, and your vision. Who am I or anyone else to say how your vision should be. I would play you and lets have fun. 

Stormraven could be attached to any company so whatever you prefer.

As for the Cents they would most likely be part of a battle company and not the Deathwing. Seeing as how the DW is all terminator armor and the Cents are power armor...inside power armor.

The Storm Raven could be painted for who they're transporting DW/RW/GW, as for the Centurions, they come from Assault and Devastator squads, so Green would be an appropriate colour for them. Unless you're going to do you allies from a Successor Chapter, then, you know, do whatever...... ;)

Cheers,

Jono

I am building a scout list for when I want to field land speeder storms(speeder black, scouts normal colors) and I'm adding in cents painted rw colors. Of course that's with codex marine chapter tactics but its a neat theme look. Plus I got sgt naaman to use as the named guy from ultra marines. If your going to get them anyways, making them look like deathwing dreadnughts, may looks cool.

I actually have those models and have painted them to fit my Dark Angels.

More than likely the Stormraven would be treated by the Dark Angels similar to Thunderhawks and Drop Pods. Those are attached to the fleet or naval portion of the Dark Angels' army. Therefore, a Stormraven whether it was transporting regular troops or Deathwing would be painted Dark Angels green.

I think everyone has said the same thing about the Centurions. They would be painted Dark Angels green as they are, in the fluff, Devastator marines given bigger armor.

I did my techarine bike red and da green lib bike. Chapter master would be sammael so black.( if he eve goes on a normal bike in the fluff)

O and Chaplin is black and green or black bike. Rember that none of the characters.short of sammael are really on the ravenwing.

Stormraven -Ravenwing black

Centurions - sort of termies I suppose

Bikes belong to the Ravenwing so black but I painted my techmarine red, chaplain black and my librarian blue.

They are in my DA thread. Link in Sig.

At the end of the day they are your toys so you can paint them any colour you want ;)

I agree with Pyro X. We don't actually have Chapter Masters. Our "Chapter Master" is Azrael. Any other HQ choice is generally a part of that company. Techmarines would be red with some Dark Angels green. Techmarines are never fully trusted with the secrets of the chapter. Therefore, they'd never be a part of Ravenwing or Deathwing. Librarians and Chaplain will wear the color of there office:  blue/ black with Dark Angels green. If they are on bike, I would paint the bike according to what company or squad those characters are accompanying/joining.

Example:

I have a Chaplain leading a squad of Ravenwing Black Knights. Therefore, I paint and decorate the bike in a Ravenwing manner. I have a Librarian on bike that is with a squad of Devastators with few or no other bikes on the board. (I use the bike to make a quick get away when the Devastator squad is about to die). Therefore, I paint his bike Dark Angels green as he is a part of regular battle company.

But as Elmo said, they are ultimately your models, so you should do what you want. I personally think that mixing colors will give the army a more interesting appeal to look at. Having a green Stormraven in an all black Ravenwing army will draw the eye.

There is an argument to made for vehicles attached to the RW to be painted RW colors. In recent RW fluff, Dark Talons are painted as such and I feel as though Stomravens/Stormtalons could be as well.  If the company has some permanently attached Stormravens/talons, I could see them being repainted.

It was noted actually that even the Techmarine within the RW wore the black of the company. Personally, I'd stick to the Librarian being on a black bike, regardless of who he is actually attached to. The RW would technically have a Company Chaplain (technically so would the DW, like every company), so he could be painted accordingly as well.

I think that the previous codex stated that all bikes and landspeeders belonged to the Ravenwing.

If you go with this (like I have) then they would be black :)

I think that the previous codex stated that all bikes and landspeeders belonged to the Ravenwing.

If you go with this (like I have) then they would be black smile.png

I assumed the new one said or insinuated this as well.

In Ravenwing the novel (or maybe another story?), I believe they have a dedicated strike cruiser adorned in RW colors/livery. I get the feeling that the 1st and 2nd companies get to operate outside the normal Chapter organization as much as deemed necessary. It may even be a security risk to have the armory/fleet supplying too much.

TechMarines aren't "part" of any Company anyway, that I've ever seen, and while they wouldn't be inducted into the Deathwing and therefore advance to the Inner Circle (other than the Master of the Rock), there's precedent based on the novel Ravenwing, as others have said, that Techmarines will operate with the Ravenwing. Remember, most of the Ravenwing doesn't know much, if any, of the truth of the Fallen and Fall of Caliban. Not much risk of exposure if those you're worried about exposing something don't know anything in the first place or can only given "hidden" answers from Chapter mysteries that obscure the truth.

Even operating with the Deathwing, a Techmarine could be side-lined at some point, diverted, or outright lied to or even mind-wiped, if necessary (although this could be an unnecessary waste of resources).

Per Ravenwing, the Techmarine's bike would be black and kitted as a Ravenwing bike with Ravenwing symbology.

The Ravenwing does have a Company Chaplain who is part of the company, therefore his bike would be a RW bike. The only other Chaplains that would even be on bikes would be Interrogator-Chaplains (none of the regular Company Chaplains would have a reason to be on a bike) and they would probably just have RW bikes requisitioned for them, they probably wouldn't have it assigned to them permanently.

As far as Librarians, they are never part of a Company, they operate out of the Librarius as members of the Inner Circle, so they would likely have the same situation as the Interrogator Chaplains.

The DW doesn't have a Company Chaplain per se, the Interrogator Chaplains, as members of the DA hierarchy equal or greater than the DW members, likely perform that duty. Even the 4th Ed DA codex referenced the fact that all companies except the DW have an assigned Company Chaplain.

The Stormravens would either be fleet assets, such as Thunderhawks are, and therefore DA green, or RW specific assets, like the Dark Talons/Nephilims, and so those would be black. I think the choice would be up to you.

Any Centurions (I don't think they fit the "methods of battle" the DA use) would likely be Company assets or Armory assets, not part of the Deathwing, as it would violate the "all Terminator armor" aspect of the company, so they are most likely to be green.

Also, are company veterans part of a specific battle company? They aren't part of the first company like in other chapters, right?

Each Company has its own Veterans, and no, they are not from the 1st Company.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived