Hidden Gem in new Black Library Art

TheForgottenAngel

Did you miss the right arm/shoulder near the bottom?  Looks like a half-DA half-checkered shoulder pad...

Paul

Any idea what battle this represents?

The pic is the cover art for the new hardcover edition of the Horus Heresy novella Prince of Crows by ADB. That's Sevetar on the bottom right with the red gauntlets, but since you didn't recognise the battle I'm going assume you haven't read it and so won't say any more about the plot. It's a story about the Night Lords but has one of the single best depictions of the Lion in any GW fluff (even if it is very brief), definitely worth a look for any 40k fan, but especially for DA fans.

The pic is the cover art for the new hardcover edition of the Horus Heresy novella Prince of Crows by ADB. That's Sevetar on the bottom right with the red gauntlets, but since you didn't recognise the battle I'm going assume you haven't read it and so won't say any more about the plot. It's a story about the Night Lords but has one of the single best depictions of the Lion in any GW fluff (even if it is very brief), definitely worth a look for any 40k fan, but especially for DA fans.

I'm still waaaay behind on the HH franchise laugh.png Thanks for the info happy.png

Sevatar really is a great character. I only wish us DA had one of equal stature. Zahariel, Nemial.. all pretty boring not very special.

Corswain shows promise. He is the Lion's seneschal after all. He is more or less the Legion champion. Maybe he will be fleshed out further in the future.

Corswain is indeed pretty awesome, but he was already given the Sevetar treatment in Savage Weapons, where his POV, backstory, and motivations were outlined in detail. So, while I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future, I don't really expect much more in terms of depth. IMO, a more likely candidate for expansion would be Belath, who's not exactly likeable and something of a scheming bastard, but I think his personality flaws leave room to make him more interesting. Plus, unlike Zahariel and Astellan, he hasn't had any stories or even whole books to portray his own POV. As for Nemiel,

one might say any disappointment anyone has with him should be "short-lived".

msn-wink.gif

^^ Didn't he get iced by Sev though?

No - when would this have happened? o.O

Him and Sevetar only met during Savage Weapons, and maybe later during Sevetar's capture during Prince of Crows (though, if so, said meeting went unmentioned). Corswain survived both stories to later be the POV for By the Lion's Command - which he also survived. (At this point, I'd be very surprised if Corswain didn't survive to the end of the Heresy.) Perhaps you're thinking of Alajos, the DA company master who Sevetar and Sheng two-manned during Savage Weapons?

Good points Azoriel. When the Lion finally gets put on ice and the Legion is ordered to break into separate independent chapters, Corswain would be a strong candidate to be the first Supreme Grand Master. Perhaps we will not get too much more of him until that point. He's certainly become more of a decision maker, being so close to the Lion. Fleshing out Belath as the Sigismund of the Dark Angels who goes on to be another founding Chapter Master of a particular successor might be fun.

Given how sinister he is (much in keeping with the modern Dark Angels), I'm actually suspecting Belath may be the first Supreme Grand Master. Of course, this assumes that

he doesn't get killed by Astellan upon returning to Caliban (a very real possibility, IMO)

per the direction he was given at the end of By the Lion's Command. I wouldn't be surprised if he never actually comes to the fore, though. IMO, he's much more of a Iacton Qruze than a Sigismund (he's that unlikeable). pinch.gif

Corswain's influence I see in the Guardians of the Covenant, in their love of knowledge (matching Corswain's own scholarly leanings), which has me thinking he became their first Supreme Grand Master instead... But because they don't follow the "Angels of _______" naming convention, I don't think they're a second founding chapter, at least not under that name. And I'm also not sure how Corswain, as the Lion's right-hand man, would survive the Heresy yet not retain command of the entire Legion, further making this alternate theory of mine unlikely. So I dunno. geek.gif

For the record, Corswain is mentioned as being something of a legendary fighter amongst the Legions in one of the FW Horus Heresy books. I don't have them to hand just now, but I remember it being quoted here reasonably recently.

By the Lion's Command? Have I missed a Dark Angel Horus Heresy story?

Its going to be the cover Art of a Novella Prince of Crows by ADB, a story featured in Shadows of Treachery.

I know what the illustration is for, but Azoriel referred to a story featuring Corswain called By The Lion's Command. That one I know nothing about.

By the Lion's Command? Have I missed a Dark Angel Horus Heresy story?

Its going to be the cover Art of a Novella Prince of Crows by ADB, a story featured in Shadows of Treachery.

I know what the illustration is for, but Azoriel referred to a story featuring Corswain called By The Lion's Command. That one I know nothing about.

Short story in the anthology, Imperial Truth (says lexicanum).  Did some digging and appears that it was an "event exclusive". So not available outside whatever event it was for. The titles seem familiar though - were they repackaged into this anthology from other sources?

And as long as we are talking about DA cover art, I just came across this - http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/the-scripts-volume-two.html

By the Lion's Command is short by Gav Thrope that takes place during Unremembered Empire.  To summarize the overall story (without spoilers, but I'm going to mask this anyway):

Corswain leads a fractious Inner Circle in the Lion's absence while trying to hunt down Typhus and deal with seperatist forces who will neither declare of Horus or fight for the Imperium.

Not every review of the story was glowing, though I think I enjoyed it overall, as would any DA fan.

For the record, Corswain is mentioned as being something of a legendary fighter amongst the Legions in one of the FW Horus Heresy books. I don't have them to hand just now, but I remember it being quoted here reasonably recently.

The quote in question is from Massacre, under the description of Jago Sevataron:

Sevatar is known as one of the most lethal warriors of the entire Legiones Astartes, his name and skill as well known as those of Abaddon of the Sons of Horus, Corswain of the Dark Angels, Ralderon of the Blood Angels or Eidolon of the Emperor's Children.

I think this is a pretty good indication that he'll be stated out when we get book 5 of Forgeworld's HH series.  I'd hope for a second good DA "hero" character out of this (kinda like how the Imperial Fists got Sigismund and Alexis Polux), but I imagine we'll probably get either Cypher and/or Luther instead.

thanks.gif Right, thanks for the clarifications. I expect it'll show up in an anthology or stand-alone reprint at some time. offtopic.gif

*cough* So, yeah, that's some tasty illustration up there. It's nice to get another glimpse of the first legion's visual style.

Archived