Plague Marines White Armor Color Scheme (Test)

Here's a test mini that I did up for an up coming project that I want to do. I'm wanting to get into Chaos Space Marines, and would love to do Plague Marines.

Naturally, I have to make it challenging for myself. I want to do a dirty, corroded, and slightly diseased white armor color scheme. This is what I got.

Plague Marine Test

Plague Marine Test 1

I started by priming the figure grey. I used my airbrush to give it some shadowing with Minitaire's Mummy. I then did a light coverage with Minitaire's Skull White. I sealed it with a satin varnish, and went over it with a mixture of Secret Weapons' Baby Poop and Sewage water wash mixed with some Matt Medium.

I'm not entirely sold on it, but I think I'm heading in the right direction.

Any comments, tips, or criticism would be appreciated.

Lol @ paint names :)

I think it has potential.  But I think you might be wise to start with the base coat, seal it if you like, but then maybe apply some heavy Argrax Earthshade to create a darker browned off white (think of pre-heresy painting here), then drybrush highlight white again in large flats and edges, seal and then approach again with your Secret Weapon paints.

I think what you have is a good pukey discolouration, but some dark or dirty brown and defining shadowed areas are needed to make the depth of the miniature stand out.

Oh - I'm no painter, so pinch of salt and run it on some scrap sprue stuff to test!

@Infyrana

I was wondering about adding a bit more brown. I like the idea of doing a brown wash then drybrushing white to bring it back up a bit. *Gears turning* Yes, I might have to try that next.

@deathspectersgt7

The mix ratio was 3 drops Baby Poop, 3 drops of Sewage Water, and 3-6 drops matt medium. Partially through, I added more matt medium because I thought it would thin the washes a bit more.

I want to try and keep the white a warm color as I plan to contrast that with the color tones for the skin of my marines and daemon engines. I want to incorporate some green into the wash stage as I plan to only have that "nurgle green" color as an accent: shoulder pads, tank detail, etc. I also plan on using weathering powders and chipping the armor to add more warmth to the over all color scheme.

http://pensacolawarhammer.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/washes.jpg

A quick update: While my miniature was sitting in its stripping solution, I got out some of my washes and just did a test pallet of them with out mixing them. You can see the results above. I can see that Baby Poop, while is befitting the legions of Nurgle, will not be a wash I use as it is what keeps yellowing my white. The colors that have caught my attention are the Sewage Water, the Green Black, and the browns and flesh washes that are to the left. I can mix the Secret Weapons' Flesh Wash with the Vallejo Fleshtone to get a nice sepia. The Sewage Water is a good brown/green mixture, but it's the Green Black that has my attention. I believe that I can get a good sutdel green stain/shadow using it and do an oil wash of brown when the model is done. I certainly would like to hear what others think.

I actually liked the first mini quite alot. And I agree with forte, use them all, but in different places. Also this might be to late, but I prefer oil/enamel based washes over acrylic since I can reactivate them and mess around.

If you want some inspiration, you could take a lot in my plog for my Pre Heresy Death Guard, not so much goo and corruption, but quite a lot of rust if you are into that kind of stuff. :P

I also find it quite funny that your post heresy death guard a cleaner than my pre heresy. XD

@Packe

I actually do use oil/enamel washes most of the time. I using acrylic for this because I want the staining/tinting that acrylic washes do. As for the challenge of showing a difference between pre heresy and post heresy Death Guard, i haven't quite figured that part out. 

I've been dissatisfied with my recent attempts as the Baby Poop is too yellow, so trying somethings without it may improve and help my direction.

I would like to know any oil/enamel washes that you use that would give a good dirty/rust look to white armor.

Aah, that seems legit. :)

I for rust I use a mix of, depending on what type of rust I want:

MIG Wash Light Rust Effects
MIG Wash Dark Wash
MIG Pigment Light Rust
MIG Pigment Standard Rust
MIG Pigment Old Rust
MIG 502 Abteilung Oil Pint Dark Rust 

And I'm about to order the Fresh Rust pigments too.

I used Humbrol 113, but since I got my MIG 502 I've stoped using that one.

@ Packe

I looked at your Heresy era Death Guard and loved them. I'm going to try and make mine "cleaner" only in the fact that I'll be doing a single watered down acrylic sepia wash. I'll then brush on a little weathering powered at the bottom followed my armor chipping. 

I have some Secret Weapon pigments right now, but plan on investing in MiG pigments.

The challenge and goal for my Nurgle Death Guard is 1) Green Death Guard is over done in my mind 2) green doesn't not necessarily mean disease 3) Nurgle also represents decay, corrosion, and corruption, which can be done with a number of colors. Although I may very well go with green just to show a difference between pre Heresy and post Heresy.

Hehe, thanks :)

Hmm, I see what you are talking about, the only sugestions I have are, do the chipping before washes and rust otherwise it looks like the chipping is above the rust, and if you ask me that looks kinda wierd. You could do lots of copper and oxidize them if you don't want to do to much rust/green. 

I don't know about shipping outside of Europe, but if you are going to buy MIG stuff, buy it from their website, fair prices and they got everything.

Archived