Ravenwing Sergeants

Seleucus

Cannot find much on this.

Does anyone upgrade their RW Sarges?

- To Vet Sarge?

- With ccw weapons - P/F, Power Sword, Power Axe, Power Maul or even just a chainsword?

- combi-bolter to fit with special weapons in squad?

I'm just about to start building and need to know if it's worth getting the magnets out!

It's worth magnetising one arm so you can vary the close combat weapons. I usually use mine with the basic chainsword but I like the power sword too if I have the points. Honestly, fancy weapons and veteran sergeant upgrades in Ravenwing squads are the first things I look to cut when I need to trim a few points.

I run one veteran Sgt with power sword and meltabombs, and one veteran Sgt with chainsword and meltabombs. Will upgrade a third vet with a combi flamer and meltabombs.

Urael's upgrades are good.

If you're limited on points however I'd say your priority of upgrade should be:

Power Weapon (sword or fist)

Melta Bombs (if no fist)

Vet Sarge.

You want any edge you can to hope you win combat.  Bikes aren't really known for really inflicting THAT many wounds to force a retreat, but you want whatever chance you can get.  A power sword on a charge helps.  The meltabombs are really insurance in the case of an MC (but the squad is most likely going to be wiped out anyway).

Vet sarges are only really good when combined with a weapon for that 3A on a charge.  The extra LD I consider to be a drawback since you don't really want bikes in combat after 1 round of combat anyway.

It depends on what you want to do with them.  If you plan to keep the unit out of combat, you don't need any upgrades at all.  If you plan to use them to hit a unit, and then assault it, then you will want some upgrades.  In a mostly/all Ravenwing army you will want upgrades, as these units are the only ones you will have to deal with a variety of enemy unit types.  A Huntmaster can't have a power fist, but a RW Sergeant can.  If you do upgrade a RW Sergeant for close combat, always make them a Veteran as well, as the +1 Attack bonus alone is worth it (not to mention the +1 Leadership).

I mainly use my Ravenwing squads as transport hunters... basic plan is blast full tilt at a loaded transport, peg it in cc, use the teleport homers to call in Deathwing, and use hit n run when it gets hairy.

Been working so far with this load out. I want the combi flamer load out for the possibility of dealing with troops who have fleet, who may think of re-charging me after a hit n run.

Oh, it's worth noting that I pay the points for veteran solely for fluff reasons. I refuse to have a squad led by a battle brother who is no better than the new guy who just made it out of the 10th company.

Deathwing Sergeants are necessarily Veterans, but no other Company's are.  If you want to stick to fluff that is.  It makes more sense for the Ravenwing and the 10th company to have a higher proportion of Veteran Sergeants than other Companies though.

I don't really see the point of giving a CC weapon to my standard RW squads... CC is knights business.

It's a costly option for few effect.

If you don't make the sgt a vet, you only get a single A at AP3 for 15pts.

If you take a vet sgt it's a 30pts option for only 2A.

The problem is that the sgt don't have 2CCW so you lose the +1A bonus.

I actually really appreciate this new features in the SM codexes that doesn't oblige you to take a vet sgt to give a melta bomb or a combi weapon. This allow to make the sgt more complementary with the rest of the squad.

I've been keeping mine naked lately, when the situation dictates getting into CC with Tau to stay alive from all the AP3 shooting I don't want to kill too many until Hit and Run makes sense msn-wink.gif I get forced to pay for that skill, I'm damned well going to use it :D and what Master A said:Real CC is for RWBKs.

biggrin.png

Archived