Imperial Knight WIP

Here's another WIP. Come a fair bit along the way since that very simple first shot, but still a rather long way to go:

gallery_65134_9442_131560.jpg

Having painted mostly black power armour I can feel a lack of experience with both brighter colours and big surfaces like on this model. Also doesn't help I'm using what colours I have on hand, which are slightly different than those of the official House Terryn scheme, so giving him a different tone.

I did like how the eyes behind the mask turned out... but at the same time I feel like I'm not doing my paint job so far any favours by taking this close of closeup

gallery_65134_9442_105751.jpg

Lots left to do on virtually everything, so hoping i'll be able to do the miniature justice by the end.

Another WIP:

gallery_65134_9442_48281.jpg

Since I've started adding transfers one might think that I am nearing completion, but that would be assuming I work under logic. No, still lots left do here, not least of all a fitting base, but also other work you'd normally do before putting on transfers. I feel a bit more confident about the tone of the colors now, though that's probably hard to make out since I seem to keep on insisting taking my WIP shots under the most apalling of lighting conditions

I don't think you should worry about the painting... some shading and highlighting on the gold, maybe some overall touch-ups and you're there. 

Also, I like the red eyes, they're a nice contrast, which makes them pop a bit more from-under the faceplate.

Finally, though... IMHO the placing of the decal on the heraldry shield seems kind of wrong, as it leaves a large, free surface over it. I would advise to add something linear across the shield at the cut-in, nothing fancy, some scripture or perhaps a strip of check-board pattern (from the ork decal sheet, for instance).

Good luck with finishing this baby up!

Thanks for the advice!

I do infact intend to put something on the upper space of the shield, namely a row of purity seals (Like I said I do things in a bizarre order, right?) Also, the 'half-hole' on the side of the shield also makes it next to impossible to placing it higher up, so placements's pretty much the same as the knight on the box.. which also covers the empty space above with purity seals.

Never used this gold this extensively (Gw's burnished gold) so still mostly just working on getting it even everywhere... once that's actually finished I figure I'll shade it with either agrax earthshade or nuln oil? How should highlight it, given that's so bright already? Mix it with mithril silver?

EDIT: Also, I'm now all over hunting for ork decals since I learned they have checkers drool.gif

Starting to look fairly accomplished now

gallery_65134_9442_267192.jpg

Mostly feel like I've got some highlights, some additional work on the base as well as some detail work here and there, but then that'll be it. Feel pretty happy with how he's turned out. Absolute blast of a kit to work with and can't wait to start another.

Looking awesome Rienhard, and have to agree its a hell of a good kit. Kinda makes me regret in only a small way that I exchanged my extra one for bikes and refund for the remaining.  Want bikes anyways so its not so bad. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived