BA Modeling questions related to Mephiston

Tabgoi

I have my whole army stripped and magnetized, and I wanted to make a few changes.  I added some to back packs to show the sanguinar's blessing.  I have been making it so assault squads can have the backpacks or not, special weapons and such.  One of the goals I had is to put some magnetic wound counters on my ICs.  Most characters have a good amount of space on their bases for it, but Mephiston has limited room.  I was thinking skulls for most of them, but does anyone have ideas for the Lord of Death?  Its not just the limited space either, the guy would need four of them and most models only need two.

Honestly? My only thoughts for Mephiston are "make a new one out of a Sanguinor" and "wait and see if GW does a resculpt" because the old one is hecka fugly. Not that I haven't seen some gorgeous paint jobs on him, but... still. Fugly.

I'd say skulls on the base would be neat, though.

I'm planning on drilling out Meph's head and dropping a helmet in there sometime.  This model is fine, but not great.  I think it could use some work.  While I don't have any ideas to contribute to the post, be sure to show us what you end up doing!

Wow wow wow.

Now I'm eyeing the metal one I have and wondering what I can do to fix it up. I barely touch him as is because the person I inherited it from "converted" him into a "Chaos Lord" (he stuck a mass of greenstuff onto the cape in the shape of a big lumpy Chaos star and left the rest of the model alone).

If you strip paint with dawn power desolver it removes green stuff as well. Will not harm plastic or pewter regardless of how long they are in there. It is awesome stuff. I bits ordered some white scars Calvary skulls, which may be small enough, find out in a few days. As to modding or resculpting him, I have been playing with that mini (mostly sitting in one of my troop cases) for 15 years. I am just used to seeing him in this form, and my friends are used to fearing him. There have actually been two attempts to crush him, and three at throwing him out. Got to stick with him, he has stood strong.

Voice of the minority...I don't actually mind Mephiston all that much :/ Orders of magnitude better than some of our old character models (Disco Lemartes, that means you).

If you want a magnetic wound counter, try a cube on the front part of his base (where there's space between Meph and the edge). One side faces down with the magnet in, and the 4 faces perpendicular to the base have either 5,4,3,2 or 4,3,2,1 on them, and rotate them to point outwards depending on his wound value. Depends if you count up or down (i.e. to show how many he has taken, or how many he has left). Personally, I have a tiny dice that I use specifically for this.

That is a really good idea, and something I may grab for my vehicles and their hull points. For characters though I am trying to do something that will not look out of place. I am thinking of using green stuff to flatten the tapered edge of the base so it becomes a consistent cylinder, giving me an extra quarter inch or so all the way around. It may be enough space to fit skulls. Add some plasticard for shattered tiles, I just do not want to increase the height, its hard enough as is to hide him on the battlefield.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, got the magnets in a while ago, just no time to post. I expanded the base a bit on the top end, got a little bit of extra room to fit the skulls, which I just tossed on randomly for the pic. I left it broken up a bit so the baseis a little more interesting, if I could sculpt better I would have embeded some skull images in the green stuff for an extra detail, but alas I suck with the green stuff (attempts were made, best not to talk about...). Now to find time to alter my other leaders and paint them...

gallery_57222_9535_153221.jpg

gallery_57222_9535_618756.jpg

EBay, they are the supplement skulls for white scars space marine bikes, if I remember correctly. They are quite small and magnetizing them was a blast. Totally did not involve me glueing my hands together at any point...

Okay, got the magnets in a while ago, just no time to post.  I expanded the base a bit on the top end, got a little bit of extra room to fit the skulls, which I just tossed on randomly for the pic.  I left it broken up a bit so the baseis a little more interesting, if I could sculpt better I would have embeded some skull images in the green stuff for an extra detail, but alas I suck with the green stuff (attempts were made, best not to talk about...).  Now to find time to alter my other leaders and paint them...

I broke up the base on my Mephiston too kinda like you did. Looks good. Here's a pic of mine:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QQR5fgaIfds/UdyltPl6HxI/AAAAAAAAA2k/eatB0vmH27w/s1600/MephDone1.jpg

Yours looks WAY better than mine will when it gets painted, which since its going in my vow will be somewhat soon hopefully.  I almost decided to add some height while I was at it and a ring of steps to hold the magnets for the skull wound counters, but then I remembered how much of a pain it is to keep him in cover as is and decided against it.  Literally everyone I play against spends their entire time trying to take him out if I field him, I just have not had the heart to tell them I only put him in as a distraction to occupy their attention.

Archived