To buy another Dark Vengeance box or not.

HsojVvad

Rumour is that the DV box set is going to be going away. Not sure if you guys herd this or not, but for anyone who wants to get some DA could be the last time you get them. Who know if this rumour is true or not. 

But if you want to add more to your DA force on the cheap, might be a good time to call your local store to see if true, and pick up the box.

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2014/03/new-edition-or-new-chosen-dark.html

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2014/03/confirmed-dark-vengeance-is-going-away.html

Yeah I just split a box with my friend who plays chaos, we went 60/40, it's an incredible value for DA players and an experienced hobbyist can put them together in an hour or two.

Balthasar I'm pretty sure was also done as a way that GW could get out of an Azrael re-sculpt.  Combi-Plasma, Power Sword, a helmet slightly different from other company masters? I think so.

When 6th edition hit, I ended up buying (2) myself and splitting (3) more out with buddies.  This left with me a couple books and lots of models, but they were so static.  There is nearly no ability to pose any of them.  I was so disheartened by this that I ended up selling off all of them, except the Librarians and Balthasar.  I also have (3) of Seraphicus (who isn't that great).  

The rumor-mill is interesting, as they're saying Blood Angels and Orks in the new box, with an updated book that will include Escalation and Stronghold Assault, and fully integrate those into the main rulebook (Glad I didn't buy them).  

If it is Blood Angels, the rumor says that it'll be a unique Sanguinary Priest model, so I'll probably buy (2) and split a third one again.  Give me a couple of books.  But I'll guess that if they pull all the DV boxes we'll see a Hard Cover book announcement pretty quickly.

Paul

Yeah I just split a box with my friend who plays chaos, we went 60/40, it's an incredible value for DA players and an experienced hobbyist can put them together in an hour or two.

Balthasar I'm pretty sure was also done as a way that GW could get out of an Azrael re-sculpt.  Combi-Plasma, Power Sword, a helmet slightly different from other company masters? I think so.

I agree on the Azrael thing, I wonder if they might take the characters and sell them separately once they discontinue the box?

When 6th edition hit, I ended up buying (2) myself and splitting (3) more out with buddies.  This left with me a couple books and lots of models, but they were so static.  There is nearly no ability to pose any of them.  I was so disheartened by this that I ended up selling off all of them, except the Librarians and Balthasar.  I also have (3) of

Seraphicus (who isn't that great).  

That's quite a lot of models!

The librarian and the chaplain of course have conversion possibilities right off the bat with the Ravenwing models included - put them on bikes. I converted the duplicate Deathwing into a TH/SS one, so you could also do some swaps there. The tactical squad is probably the harder case for conversions. I don't blame you for pawning some away though.

I ended up buying two DV sets, the first set I kept the models as they were and the second I am converting/have converted using different kits.

- Converted one biker to a Librarian on bike (using Turmiel from the box)

- I converted the other two bikes to Black Knights using the spare bits from two black knight boxes (these come with weapon options for 4 knights (3x Plasma Talon, 1x Grenade), with only 3 actual bikes in the kit)

The rest I haven't converted yet, but I plan on buying a DW Knights box and using the command bits to convert the DV terminator squad and make the Knights with the kit itself. The tacticals will be tough to convert I guess, I'll probably change the sergeant and use some spare bits for decorations but I don't think I'll mess with the poses.

Overall good value for money if you're in doubt of buying a DV set, especially if you can share the costs with someone who wants the chaos half (or if you intend to build a chaos army eventually like me :D ) But as I like to try and have no 'double' models in my army I won't be picking up a third set.

Hmmm... I wonder how likely these rumours are. I've given up reading 40K for a while so I'm a bit out of touch. Still thanks for posting HsojVvad.

Cheers

I

I don't know about buying a whole box set. If you don't want the chaos half then try looking on ebay for the whole DA army instead. I bought one for ~60 USD which is ridiculously cheap for what I would pay for the full set in NZ. 

All of the models are great for conversions. I took a saw to the terminators to make DWK but it's easy enough to just turn them into TH/SS and I replaced the sergeants weapons with magnets for combi weapons and bolt pistols.

I would consider a third but I have so much partly built that I need to seriously switch to painting what I have ready so far.

Archived