veteran squads

durdle-durdle

So what is the purpose of the veteran squads?  The only one I can find off hand is to suicide drop a squad of five with combi's and meltas and hope you kill more than that squad is worth.  But this seems to be a poor tactic to me, and I dislike throwing such a large number of points basically to their deaths without  being able to do anything with them except kill a single tank or something.  And that's a shame, because I love veteran models, but I can't seem to find a use for them.  Can anybody please enlighten me?

Because I like the robes on my models I entirely ignore entry for veterans and dress all my troops, termies and bikers as well as characters in robes. My entire army looks like power armoured monks. I like it, and because of their look is why I actually started DA in first place.

Same thing here, I have never used my vets in an actual veteran squad but I usually mix them into my tactical squads and such to add some flavour. And obviously they make great looking dark angel sergeants.

Would love to use veteran squads, looks is an important reason but also because I actually see a use for them with different options/rules. Right now if you want a unit that is a bit tougher than assault squads, you end up at the 250~ point costs quite fast with black knights or terminators. I wouldn't mind having something slightly cheaper for the lower points games.

But with the current rules I'm just not convinced that other things can't do the same job better unfortunately. Obviously sternguard/vanguard options would make them more useful (and I know I'll thoroughly enjoy converting stenguard/vanguards to dark angels), but I'd probably already try to use them if they could just use jump packs.

Well they aren't Sternguard and they aren't Vanguard but they also aren't as expensive as either.  I've always asserted that GW didn't give us real bruiser HQs because we could take command squads or vets as our ablative wounds an extra attacks (until a challenge happens at least).  

I've used vets (to varying degrees of effect) with an HQ.  9 Vets all base with chainswords and bolt pistols, swap some chainswords for power weapons of your choice and you're good to go, put them in a drop pod or a landraider and let the good times roll.  

I've used them with Ezekiel (WS5) and most recently Azrael (invul) pretty well for harassing scoring unit types.  But a company master or stock librarian/int chap with a mace will do.

I looked at them as an alternative to Sternguard, and I think I would have preferred them to sternguard and vanguard if only because Of the versatility. Anyone try an uber squad with azreal and Furious Charge? It looks like it's fun to play.

So what is the purpose of the veteran squads?  The only one I can find off hand is to suicide drop a squad of five with combi's and meltas and hope you kill more than that squad is worth.  But this seems to be a poor tactic to me, and I dislike throwing such a large number of points basically to their deaths without  being able to do anything with them except kill a single tank or something.  And that's a shame, because I love veteran models, but I can't seem to find a use for them.  Can anybody please enlighten me?

10 Veterans with power weapons/fists, Land Raider Crusader, Azrael, Librarian, appointment for your opponent to show a psychologist where on their army list you touched them.

10 Veterans with power weapons/fists, Land Raider Crusader, Azrael, Librarian, appointment for your opponent to show a psychologist where on their army list you touched them.

Actual lol

The only real hinderance to the Veteran Squad in my eyes, is that they can't charge after coming out of a Drop Pod. For everything else, they're just fantastic for having so many options available to them. They're one of two units in our codex that gets to take a storm shield and a ranged weapon (I'm almost fairly sure power armour Command Squad can take them freely), they can be delivered in a Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer at full numbers and they can have so many attacks on the charge possible to them.

To me, they're the ones that Tau players kinda fear - just like with Terminators, you drop them in behind their lines and you're close enough to them to really hit them where it hurts. In games where you aren't allowed to take armour saves better than 2+ (or invulnerable saves) then they substitute as a pretty decent Terminator squad.

(Also, ouch for those enemies when you Drop Pod in with full (Combi) Flamers on horde armies...)

i have the models but havent made them yet. iv equipped mine with storm shields and a mix of power weapons/fists/lightning claws. plan to put them in either a land raider/rhino (will have both) and either throw them towards the enemy to hold them up (like a PA version of term assault squad) or use them to hold objectives.

prob not the best use of them but like the idea of it and think they will look cool. thats the main thing with my army, dont really mind if their not that effective as long as they look good on the table top.

i really like the robed models too, one of the best things about DA in my opinion. iv also got a box to use for V sargs.

I think vets are an underrated unit. I think they serve best in GW armies, again giving them Azrael obviates the need for the stormshields.  They're going to get an extra attack and more options over assault, and they'll take an elite slot, something that doesn't fill up nearly as fast with our codex compared to our FA slot.

I've debated taking a command squad in another drop pod with the counter-attack banner just for kicks.  Even if they can't charge out of a drop pod, anyone who charges them when they are CCW/Pistol setup are going to be dealing with 3 attacks per model.  Not bad at all.  If you're worried about charges give some flamers and let the rest do the hitting.

I've posted these guys before. With Apocalypse & Escalation it's my way of tackling that super heavy that absolutely has to die first turn.

2 x Meltagun

5 x Combi melta

1 x Multi melta

2 x storm shield for the turn 2 reprisal

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/Dark_master1/Company%20Vets/4CA39579-83A6-40FF-90E9-93E6BE8E04F6_zps8sopjlob.jpg

Regards

DM

Military reserve.  I give them a mix of combiweapons, put them in a drop pod and hold them in reserve. They are designed to be able to engage any type of target and provide a troubleshooting ability or the ability to reinforce a key area as is needed.  They need a bit of luck due to the unreliability of when they arrive but I find them valuable when used like this.  I also use multimelta and heavy flamer armed dreadnoughts for this role too. 

Well our options are pretty limited when it comes to Kill Team.  Bikes are too few and Terms are too expensive.

But yes I think they're a bargain for what they do. I'd drop the ML on the vet and go Lascannon/TL-PGun combo instead on the razorback.  Razorback's going to be a lot tougher to kill than a lone vet.  Prob drop the dozer blade also, KT is usually on small maps and razorback mobility isn't as big as it would be on a 6x4

If I don't run them as robed tactical's I run my Veteran's with following armament: Each has melta bomb and stormshield  when running 10 man unit. its quite expensive but quite fun. Main task: Deep striking with pod and taking care of land raider's, monolith, Monstrous creatures or simply put fear of dakka to heavy support units. Cheapish stormshields are worth of their weight in gold here which is infested with dark reapers, long fangs, heldrakes and some Eldar Phoenixes. They're also rather nice when Riptides or Wraithknights peer upon them with their ap2 weapons. Yes, I like them, but I usually take them as veterans just over 2K point games as then I get dual FOC.

If you are going "buck wild" might as well add Azzy & Zeke and a Landraider. 4++ all around so stormshields not as necessary. A few power weapons and you have a bunch of WS5 raving lunatics with 3 attacks base 4 on the charge. You've got Zeke to take on challenges with his WS6 (with the book) and 2+ then he gets a 4++. Let Azzy demolish the squad and gut out the entire middle of your opponents army. It also puts your warlord in the middle of the storm but hey no risk no reward.

More sensible tactic is to use them as Combi delivery.

Archived