The Purge background

Right, we've had these topics before, but they're kind of buried.

So I'd like to compile my own little clarification on them, mainly the Vraks campaign descending them from the Death Guard, and the Antecannis Massacre, which changed to completely exclude everyone save mentioning that the Black Legion directed the 9th Crusade to Antecannis as opposed to making it a pit stop with multiple Warbands. 

A) 6th puts them as a Renegade Chapter.  They believe the Galaxy is hopelessly corrupt, and with the threat of Chaos, they need to purge it of all life.  With the help of Chaos... Yeah.  Regardless their outlook makes it distinctly different than being descended from the Death Guard, who by M36 would have totally accepted their worship of Nurgle.

B) After reading both the codex and the elaboration in the BL Supplement, it just seems altogether that 4th's entry just got swiped under a rug or retconned entirely.  Not saying it's a bad thing, but it wasn't a terrible history entry nonetheless. 

I was reading the 40k Wikia (not lexi) and while it is a little more unreliable, The Corruption of Bellru & Fealty II (884.M40) caught my eye.  I can't find where this was written from though.

When I started back into the hobby a couple years ago, I started with an army of The Purge. I have looked, and I didn't find any background beyond what you have covered. In working up the fluff for my warband, I came up with two themes that I liked, used one, and may still find a way to use the other.

Theme #1 was centered around The Purge being more about chemical weapons than about zombification, and therefore having an industrialized feel, and less overt religiosity. I think I just hadn't acknowledged my desire to do Iron Warrior stuff. The 6th ed book sort of changed that with the "prayers to Nurgle" line, but I think it's workable.

Theme #2 was that The Purge were originally Alpha Legion, going about their plans based on the end of the HH book Legion, and eventually falling to despair as the size of their task becomes more and more apparent, and then being claimed by Nurgle. Now, much of their original purpose and structure is gone, replaced by Paternal Love and hatred of all things alive.

The fact in the 6th ed book it says they have first-hand experience with Chaos does kind of lend itself to them being an offshoot of the Death Guard.

Yes, but the vagueness being "The looming threat" and "We're cursed by supernatural diseases" is two different scenarios.  They pray to Nurgle on the basis of helping them with their task, not that they're greatful for being blessed with every ailment that can befall Plague Marines.  At least in my opinion, most Purge Marines are portrayed as CSMs with a little dedication to Nurgle as opposed to severe corruption like the Death Guard.

The fact in the 6th ed book it says they have first-hand experience with Chaos does kind of lend itself to them being an offshoot of the Death Guard.

Cool, where does it say that? in the CSM codex or the main rulebook?

CSM codex.   I don't have the exact quote but it's something like "first-hand experience with the dread of Chaos" being what made them say "Everything must die" and thus pray nightly to Nurgle to conjure up the plague of all plagues to wipe out all living things (except them presumably)

CSM codex.   I don't have the exact quote but it's something like "first-hand experience with the dread of Chaos" being what made them say "Everything must die" and thus pray nightly to Nurgle to conjure up the plague of all plagues to wipe out all living things (except them presumably)

Aha!

Hopefully, they are proper death-worshippers and it's "We will kill all other life, and when that is accomplished, happily slit our own throats to complete the great work."

Aha!

Hopefully, they are proper death-worshippers and it's "We will kill all other life, and when that is accomplished, happily slit our own throats to complete the great work."

They definitely seem to be more in the "the flesh is weak, only death is salvation" camp than the typical "Hee hee vomit and faeces and pus!  Isn't it a treat?" frolicking Nurgle worshipper from LatD.

Archived