+++ Lucifer's Underdogs Bi-monthly challenge #2: Scouts +++

Think my wolfbrother and I will send off 6th this friday and I am recycling a 1750pt triwing list with scouts. For the multiwing tactica.

I, Brother Dean, vow to play them and report back.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a quick 500 point game against the dastardly eldar today. Only my 2nd game in 6th ed, so was a bit of a learning curve.

On the phone so will do a proper batrep with photos later.

The teams:

Level 2 librarian, pfg

7 man tac squad, pc

7 man dev squad, 2pc , ml, hb

5 man scouts, sniper, camo cloaks.

Eldar seer on jetbike with spear of doom, and mantle of hiding (shrouded + stealth)

10 guardians scatter laser

5 dire avengers

Wraithlord with 2 scatter lasers.

Board setup was a city scape thing pre setup by the gaming club. In hindsight this was my first mistake, as I should have insisted on proper terrain placement to try and give me a clear los.

I got to go first, and formed a gun line. Eldar hid behind the ruins.

Turn 1: in which nothing much happens.

ELDAR seize the initiative and go first

Dire avengers and guardians hide behind the central pillar, holding one objective. Wraithlord and seer bimble down the side of the table hiding in cover.

DA: hold the line with the tac squad calmly forwards to claim an objective.

Turn2: the start of bad dice.

wraithlord scatter lasers the dev squad, for one bolter marine loss. Rest of the eldar move behind cover.

Dark Angels scouts / dev squad shoot at the wraithlord, most miss except for plasma that bounces off its shell.

Turn 3: where it all gets a little more exciting.

Eldar, wraithlord continues to scatter laser the dev squad causing 2 deaths. Guardian squad scatter laser pops out of cover to hit a single marine from the tac squad. Seers shirkin cannon does nothing, but the lance of death kills one scout.

DA: another abismal set of rolls, dev squad let's loose on the wraithlord one hit with a PC but it bounces off, the other PC scatters into the distance. Krack missile (with signum) rolls a one.

Scouts on the other hand manage to hit every shot. On wound two rending shots, but both cover saves are made.

Turn 4: the beginning of the end

Plently more scatter laser shots take the dev squad down to a single ML, scouts loose a man to the spear o'doom.

DA: Realising hope is lost, tac squad move towards the centre of the table determined to kill something. Missile launcher fires , hits bit fails to wound. Scouts score a rending wound on the wraithlord.

Turn 5: a last hurrah

elsdar scatter lasers wipe out scouts / dev squad. Tac squad advances from cover determined to cause at least one eldar casualty. 12 twin linked bolters cause 3 unsaved wounds on the guardians

Turn 6: a last stand. With 7 marines and hq remaining the guardian

s open up with their catapults. 14 rerolled dice later there are five 6's and three other wounds (which are promptly failed) the rending shots actually fail to cause a death due to the pfg. Then the seers lance o'death takes out the Libby, leaving just the plasma marine and a single boltgun.

DA (obviously shaken) promptly roll snake eyes for the bolter. The plasma cannon scatters in the only way it couldn't hit an eldar (miss + 12) lucky that it ended up about 5mm from the squad that fired it.

THE RESULT

Actually, remembering the rules was to e, but subtle things (like scenery) may have changed the game. Also I rolled some shocking dice.

All in all, scouts were the stars of the show, scoring the only wound (aside from the last charge) in the game. They also terrified my opponent, and kept a good deal of his army in cover.

Still, I lost (and Only mananged 5 kills to 20 odd, narrowly avoiding a tabling)

However, due to the store manager we basically ended up playing a city fight game. With the shoot and scoot tactics + abundance of cover I can't say this was representative.

Anyway it was fun, the fear the scouts caused was worth it, as was making cover saves against several shirkin shinnaigans.

I played my 1st ever game a couple of days ago against an unbound eldar army in purge the alien, dow.

5 assault marines

rhino

10 tactical marines, plasma cannon

Chaplain with p fist, pfg, jump pack

1x5 scouts, bolters, hb

Scouts did okay. They killed some rangers that had an unlucky deployment. Wound up on top of a rock and out of cover.

They then killed an entire 5 person blob of banshees in a shooting phase + overwatch on the following turn.

They eventually were shot at by the enemies farseer with a torrent flamer and that resulted in three of them dying (including hb) before they ran for their lives. They regrouped and spent the remainder of the game walking back from my table edge (literally). Out of range of the battle. Game ended on turn 5 because eldar player was virtually tabled

We then played an arena match where a sniper scout faced a howling banshee and survived 11 rounds of melee combat with said banshee continuing to dodge and evade her strikes (she whiffed 11 Times lol). He shall be known forever as Joe, the man faster than a sword.

Eldar opponent here: as much as I'd like to claim a victory due to tactical superiority, in all honesty dice were the key issue.  It became laughable how many sixes I rolled compared to how many ones and twos were rolled on the opposite side.  

As for hiding in cover: it's the Eldar way.  Don't hate.   Peekabo scatter-laser earned its points even considering the guardian squad it as attached to did almost NOTHING until the DA got fed up and decided victory was lost but a debt of pain and death needed to be repaid.

Also, the other two scatter-lasers being mounted on a wraithlord that had the bonuses of being guided and fortuned by the farseer combined with champion dice-rolling made a huge dent. If dice rolls had been statistical averages, tthe WL should have suffered a good few wounds early on when it entered a fire-fight with a whole devastator squad. Having said that, double scatter-lasers are perfect for hitting power-armoured squads but the devs plasma/missile combo isn't good against a single high-toughness model.  Again, the luck was in the scenery because I was able to pick the fights - if I hadn't, my troops would have been liberally daubed on the walls in turn 1.

The real fun is going to be next game: 7th edition, jumping up to 750 points.  My jinking stealht-shrouded jetseer starts to look useless and the threat of a host of DA bikes makes my army even more prone to hide. Watch this space.

Had a quick 500 point game against the dastardly eldar today. Only my 2nd game in 6th ed, so was a bit of a learning curve.

On the phone so will do a proper batrep with photos later.

The teams:
Level 2 librarian, pfg
7 man tac squad, pc
7 man dev squad, 2pc , ml, hb
5 man scouts, sniper, camo cloaks.

Eldar seer on jetbike with spear of doom, and mantle of hiding (shrouded + stealth)
10 guardians scatter laser
5 dire avengers
Wraithlord with 2 scatter lasers.

Board setup was a city scape thing pre setup by the gaming club. In hindsight this was my first mistake, as I should have insisted on proper terrain placement to try and give me a clear los.

I got to go first, and formed a gun line. Eldar hid behind the ruins.

Turn 1: in which nothing much happens.

ELDAR seize the initiative and go first
Dire avengers and guardians hide behind the central pillar, holding one objective. Wraithlord and seer bimble down the side of the table hiding in cover.

DA: hold the line with the tac squad calmly forwards to claim an objective.

Turn2: the start of bad dice.

wraithlord scatter lasers the dev squad, for one bolter marine loss. Rest of the eldar move behind cover.

Dark Angels scouts / dev squad shoot at the wraithlord, most miss except for plasma that bounces off its shell.

Turn 3: where it all gets a little more exciting.

Eldar, wraithlord continues to scatter laser the dev squad causing 2 deaths. Guardian squad scatter laser pops out of cover to hit a single marine from the tac squad. Seers shirkin cannon does nothing, but the lance of death kills one scout.

DA: another abismal set of rolls, dev squad let's loose on the wraithlord one hit with a PC but it bounces off, the other PC scatters into the distance. Krack missile (with signum) rolls a one.

Scouts on the other hand manage to hit every shot. On wound two rending shots, but both cover saves are made.

Turn 4: the beginning of the end
Plently more scatter laser shots take the dev squad down to a single ML, scouts loose a man to the spear o'doom.

DA: Realising hope is lost, tac squad move towards the centre of the table determined to kill something. Missile launcher fires , hits bit fails to wound. Scouts score a rending wound on the wraithlord.

Turn 5: a last hurrah
elsdar scatter lasers wipe out scouts / dev squad. Tac squad advances from cover determined to cause at least one eldar casualty. 12 twin linked bolters cause 3 unsaved wounds on the guardians

Turn 6: a last stand. With 7 marines and hq remaining the guardian
s open up with their catapults. 14 rerolled dice later there are five 6's and three other wounds (which are promptly failed) the rending shots actually fail to cause a death due to the pfg. Then the seers lance o'death takes out the Libby, leaving just the plasma marine and a single boltgun.

DA (obviously shaken) promptly roll snake eyes for the bolter. The plasma cannon scatters in the only way it couldn't hit an eldar (miss + 12) lucky that it ended up about 5mm from the squad that fired it.

THE RESULT

Actually, remembering the rules was to e, but subtle things (like scenery) may have changed the game. Also I rolled some shocking dice.

All in all, scouts were the stars of the show, scoring the only wound (aside from the last charge) in the game. They also terrified my opponent, and kept a good deal of his army in cover.

Still, I lost (and Only mananged 5 kills to 20 odd, narrowly avoiding a tabling)
However, due to the store manager we basically ended up playing a city fight game. With the shoot and scoot tactics + abundance of cover I can't say this was representative.

Anyway it was fun, the fear the scouts caused was worth it, as was making cover saves against several shirkin shinnaigans.

Hmm, not going to make this deadline. I have found a club, but I need 7th in order to play now (which I don't have the funds for just yet), so I shall have to bow out I'm afraid. I will try to get some games with Scouts in in 7th though and add to the eventual tactica.

I actually think scouts might be more viable in 7th due to the more objective focussed nature of play. It'll be interesting to see if that is the case.

Hmm, not going to make this deadline. I have found a club, but I need 7th in order to play now (which I don't have the funds for just yet), so I shall have to bow out I'm afraid. I will try to get some games with Scouts in in 7th though and add to the eventual tactica.

I actually think scouts might be more viable in 7th due to the more objective focussed nature of play. It'll be interesting to see if that is the case.

you could always acquire it through less than honest means if you have a laptop/ipad/notebook/phablet. I've been using mine off mah smartphone. When I get the money I'll be buying the book though, I find it more useful in that format.

Or the LSV...  It's dead sexy looking and I hate to only use it as Dark Shroud...  Might be nice to try it with the new vehicle damage rules too...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/The%20Ravenwing/DSCN9756.jpg

aura_enchanted...

assuming one had an iPad...and was prone to utilizing nefarious means...how would one acquire said 7th addition rule book >.> theoretically....and for learning purposes only of course...

Just a friendly heads up: if I'm correct and I think what you're asking for a 'free' digital rulebook (or copy of) then beware - asking for such things on the B&C that obviously don't come from official GW sources can get you a warning for your troubles msn-wink.gif .

Cheers

I

PS: if you weren't asking for that, then please forgive this post whistlingW.gif

no, not asking for a free one.  I am just trying to find a way to read up on the rule changes while I set aside enough to buy the new one :(

How often do the editions change? 

There will be no next challenge I'm afraid, at least in this point in time. Scout challenge had very poor turnout and people didn't even bother to post in the required format. Maybe in the future it can appear if the community is more open to play with perceived sub-par units.

Archived