Horus heresy successor fluff

Tiger9gamer

So I alreayd made my own sucessor chapter from the Dark Angels, but looking at the Horus heresy and all the variety it holds I really want to start building a HH army, especially when the DA rules drop. Now I've been trying to think of a way to tie my current chapter to the HH dark angels, so tell me if this is good;

My chapter would come from a company that fought along side the loyalists during the HH, specializing in rapid assault and the hard hitting tactics of the Ravenwing. After the crisis of the fallen and the successor chapter split, they join the ranks of the Angels of Absolution in their belief that they are forgiven. After the forgotten wars they are allowed to form their own chapter on a planet recently conquered. 

Does that idea work? 

Short answer: No, because that messes too much with the official fluff.

Long answer: It might work if you adapt some parts of it. You can make a Sucessor with those characteristics that could only be supplied with olders marks of armour during on of the conturbed events on 40K timeline. Thus you'll have an excuse to have HH stuff in your army. Basically, it's Consecrators with a twist.

In my personal opinion what doesn't work is being melded into a Chapter (1000 strong) and then unmeld. If they believe the they are forgiven and joing the AOA,what is teh reason for them to leave? You have to have a good reason for a full company to just leave and form a Chapter, especially when they are so like-minded to the Chapter they attached/melded to. I am usually very picky when it come to dealing with established fluff like 1st and 2ndfoundings. It needs to have something extra to justify.

I could, yea. They could be the second chapter to help out the Sable Lions, and maybe didn't listen to the Grand Master Dark Angels and have the dishonor to be stricken from the records of the DA's second founding?

I could, yea. They could be the second chapter to help out the Sable Lions, and maybe didn't listen to the Grand Master Dark Angels and have the dishonor to be stricken from the records of the DA's second founding?

Given that the Supreme Grand Master of the Dark Angels stayed behind to do the exact same thing himself, I don't see how that would result in any sort of demotion.  The DA strike me as an organization more prone to hording information than attempting to forget it, especially if it's deemed shameful.  They certainly didn't forget about the Fallen, did they?  If they wanted to Un-"Unforgiven" your chapter, I imagine the solution probably wouldn't leave you with a viable fighting force (to say the least).  ;)

If your chapter isn't well-known, it could be because:

1. It hasn't had the same opportunities for fame that the other Unforgiven chapters have had.  Maybe it focuses largely on hunting the Fallen (so it prefers to keep its successes/failures a secret), or operates out along the fringes of the Imperium, or has spent most of its history having been decimated from various battles/mishaps so has had only limited participation more visible military actions.
  2. It's actually a secret founding (i.e. the Unforgiven decided to spawn another chapter and didn't really care to get Terra's approval beforehand).  If your chapter was founded BY what happened in the Forgotten War (not simply having been formed at some random point after the fact), you'd most certainly need to go with this, since only the Unforgiven know about the Forgotten War.

Personally, I don't see what's so problematic or unfluffy about your original concept in post #1 - the Disciples of Caliban certainly aren't the only Unforgiven chapter to have been made post-Second Founding, and the tidbit about what tactics your chapter favors is moreorless beside the point IMO.  I probably wouldn't include any stuff about being disowned by the other Unforgiven chapters, though; if your chapter is obscure, there's much simpler ways to explain that.

thank you Azoriel! I think I like the secret founding more. And I like the idea of operating along the Fringes too (more for the reason im not really all that keen on the fallen hunting stuff >.> )

Would chapter tactics like the ones they have in the horus heresy be bad too? It's not as divergent as some, and they probably wouldn't be around a lot of ultramarines if they are on the fringe.

thank you Azoriel! I think I like the secret founding more. And I like the idea of operating along the Fringes too (more for the reason im not really all that keen on the fallen hunting stuff >.> )

Would chapter tactics like the ones they have in the horus heresy be bad too? It's not as divergent as some, and they probably wouldn't be around a lot of ultramarines if they are on the fringe.

Chapter tactics?  Do you mean to use a DA-themed army using the Space Marine codex?  I suppose that's fine, though other players may give you some grief for that.  What chapter tactics do you intend on using?  (The HH legion tactics for the Dark Angels aren't out yet, so are you going to be using the ones for some other HH legion?)

Edit: Reread the first post, and now I'm somewhat confused.  Is this going to be a Horus Heresy (legion) army, or a post-Horus Heresy (chapter) army?  By the time the Forgotten Wars took place, the SM legions were already split into chapters; the legions had ceased to exist by then, so you couldn't have a legion army anymore.  Or do you simply intend to use legion rules for your chapter?  (FYI, if you try to use 30K rules in a 40K fight, people might end up giving you the stinkeye and refuse to play you, most definitely if you try it outside of a friendly setting.)

Ah, okies...  Well, that should be fine, I think.  Just make it clear to your opponent what codex your army falls under.  If you're given any trouble about your army not being the correct color, I would simply state that your army recieved special permission from the Lion to recolour their armour in honor of some great conflict fought on planet "X", and that after the split into chapters, planet "X" became your chapter's homeworld.

Ah, okies...  Well, that should be fine, I think.  Just make it clear to your opponent what codex your army falls under.  If you're given any trouble about your army not being the correct color, I would simply state that your army recieved special permission from the Lion to recolour their armour in honor of some great conflict fought on planet "X", and that after the split into chapters, planet "X" became your chapter's homeworld.

I do like that =D great idea.

Personally, im seeing myself go in one of these directions:

1-Turn my army into Consecrators: I know these are the unforgiven's relic bearers but I just don't like how "mysterious"  they are. No Record has been found of them leading into the 40th millenium, so Im not sure how they would have alliances or any other battles with the rest of the imperium. 

2-Turn my army into the Angels of Vengeance: A little better than the Consecrators, as there is a definitive source of info on them. They have been around since the second founding and still have the same color scheme from the legion. Only they may be a little too stubborn for my tastes. They don't leave until the battle is over, and take massive, massive losses. Although this fits my play style (lol) im not sure how they would hold onto relics like termie armor or other weapons. would they have their own forge to help them? would they have an almost endless supply of terminator armor? 

A chapter like this I can see using whatever works on the battle field, using more marines and holding onto positions with tenacity. Aside from the qualms about relics, these marines seem like the best so far.

3-Continue making my own chapter: I can warp my pre-existing chapter so they follow the tennets of "using what fits the situation" to show them changing tactics. Im already kinda doing that now with Codex space marines. not a lot of problems besides coming up with fluff myself that makes sense.

Archived