Upgrades and Chaos LRs

So acquired my second LR and doors for it, and am considering its upgrades.

I currently have one LR with a pintle-combi, because I had the old FW kit and it looks ace. I'm thinking about what to do with my second.

My initial thought was to leave it plain, and use it as an assault transport. But I've been using magnets recently and had a couple of ideas I wanted to run by everyone.

1) Havoc launcher+combi-plasma with Daemonic possession

Seems like it might give enough firepower for the LR to be worthwhile. Maybe run with an internal Warpsmith.

2) Havoc launcher, else as-is

3) Plain-Jane, use as a transport for my cheap (heavy flamer only) Termies.

Always dozer blades. I can't count the number of times my LRs of any variety have immobilized themselves on tiny bits of grass. Dirge casters are a great way to tease Tau. They generally don't bring much to counter AV14, so preventing their overwatch is key. Extra armor is good too, so you don't get stuck if the opponent rolls a 2 on the damage table. Possession if you feel gutsy, you can feed cultists to the LR for fun.

I can't bring my self to understand any scenario when one would take a land raider without a dozer blade. costs  almost nothing and most of the time saves you from the infuriating sight that is an Immobilized land raider.

Dozer is all I take. Dirge Caster could be useful, but to get into position you will need to give up some lascannon firepower, something I seldom feel like I have the luxury to do.

You have the problem that you drive 6", unload your cargo, then in the shooting phase you can shoot 1 las at full BS, and one LC and HB snap firing. Or you can go flat out 6" and somehow get past but not in the way of the squad that disembarked in the movement phase. And then you have to get within 6" of the enemy unit using your flat out move to utilise the dirge caster, all the while giving up the lascannons.

I duuno, if you are having trouble dealing with D-Scythe Wraithguards I would recommend the Dirge Caster, otherwise I just feel it is too hard to use. Within 6" of enemy units is exactly the place I do no want my Land Raider to be.

You cannot move flat-out after the squad disembarked unfortunately. If you could, I'd still be all over rhinos probably. (Move, disembark, shoot, flat-out the rhino infront to screen the unit)

You cannot move flat-out after the squad disembarked unfortunately. If you could, I'd still be all over rhinos probably. (Move, disembark, shoot, flat-out the rhino infront to screen the unit)

Oh, I hadn't noticed that is said "the vehicle cannot move further that turn" after a disembark. I though it said "the vehicle cannot move further that movement phase".

Odd.

Use your dozer blades while you can, theyre being phased out of land raiders due to Kromlech making them, and GW not making them! Neither DA nor SM codexes have been able to take them, if I rememeber correctly.<br /><br />Havoc just adds to the random weaponry the raider has, and cant shoot if it moves. Maybe a dozer and combi weapon for emergencies.

Use your dozer blades while you can, theyre being phased out of land raiders due to Kromlech making them, and GW not making them! Neither DA nor SM codexes have been able to take them, if I rememeber correctly.<br /><br />Havoc just adds to the random weaponry the raider has, and cant shoot if it moves. Maybe a dozer and combi weapon for emergencies.

I look forward to their upcoming policy of running chemical tests on models' paint jobs to verify that only GW brand paints were used.

daveNYC, on 11 Apr 2014 - 16:38, said:

Xenith, on 11 Apr 2014 - 14:11, said:

I look forward to their upcoming policy of running chemical tests on models' paint jobs to verify that only GW brand paints were used.

They don't specify paint, yet, just that all models have to be 100% GW.

The land raider dozer blade is going the same way as the mycetic spore.

Archived