Questions about Unforgiven CS and Banners

GrandMagnus

Hi brothers. I have recently been reading in the DA codex and I came up with some fluff related questions about command squads and banners.

All HQs can get a command squad, but since the captain/commander/master's command squad are made up of the companies greatests warriors then who serves as CS for chaplains? Is there a specific group of initiates in the chaplaincy who serve as this and wear diferent heraldry? Its the same question for the librarians and techmarines. 

And what about banners? In the DA codex it mentiones company banner, revered standards, relic standards etc. So a company command squad would most likely wield the company banner, but what does it look like? Are the options open for my own imagination or are there some sort of specific scheme?

Anaziel.

Hi brothers. I have recently been reading in the DA codex and I came up with some fluff related questions about command squads and banners.

All HQs can get a command squad, but since the captain/commander/master's command squad are made up of the companies greatests warriors then who serves as CS for chaplains? Is there a specific group of initiates in the chaplaincy who serve as this and wear diferent heraldry? Its the same question for the librarians and techmarines. 

Fluff theoretical:  No.  Members of a command squad are veterans drawn from the same pool that Company Veterans come from.  Any "Initiates" of the Reclesiarchy or the Librarium will either be in proper full Chap/Libby armor or not let out onto the battlefield.

Practical: It is your army and if you want to have a specific squad that always goes with the Chaplain then by all means tie them together visually.  I however just have a bunch of vets (30) built and armed and I mix and match weapon fits depending on what I want the command squad to do.

And what about banners? In the DA codex it mentiones company banner, revered standards, relic standards etc. So a company command squad would most likely wield the company banner, but what does it look like? Are the options open for my own imagination or are there some sort of specific scheme?

Anaziel.

Company banners would have the company pattern incorporated somehow... (probibly) The Ultras who use color to denote company puts that as a background and the design in the foreground can vary...

Here is my Fifth Company banner:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9542.jpg

and a WIP of my Fourth company master with his first squad.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9617.jpg

Company standards:  Pretty obvious, Only the specific company can carry these.

"Revered" standards is a class which have extra effects above a normal banner.  Banners belonging in "revered" are the Chapter Standard (Any power armored command squad (check your rules, this is the one I cant remember for sure) can carry this but "traditionally" only when Azrael is on the field IIRC) The Deathwing Standard (Deathwing company only) And the Ravenwing Standard (Ravenwing only)

The three Sacred standards (which have effects over and above even the other standards) can be carried by ANY command squad, be it a normal power armor command squad, a terminator command squad or a Ravenwing command squad.

You can see the company heraldry on the Dark Angel chapter organization page seen here 

Somewhere else there should be a breakdown of where our markings go.  The company symbol technically goes on the left knee pad, the squad number on the right shoulder pad, unlike our space marine brethren who denote it on their shoulder pad rims.

Yes I have the codex: Dark Angels, Im well aware. I was curious since I will be doing a Guardians of the Covenant army and for the company banner I wanted something far more elaborate than simple heraldy and chapter badge (as seen on the DA 5th company banner in the codex), so I wanted to know if it would be fluffy. 

My idea is an angel with a shield bearing the company heraldy (and a weapon of some sort).

As long as you have the company pattern in the background, or in a corner.the foreground image can be a device of your own choosing as long as the chapter symbol is in it  as can be seen in the Ultra banners below.  Note that the colors correspond to the company color...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-HZLorI1B0w/SFPH7CXXEUI/AAAAAAAACsg/usxHCc2x6z4/s1600/Ultramarine%2BCompany%2Bbanners001.jpg

Archived