Conversation with March10K last night, want more thoughts

Pbenner

Hi guys,

While I understand that some of the Fluff Nazi's may be hunting my blood after the following question, but I want to get everyone's take on this, as I think it might be a fun unit to play with.

For my birthday, it appears that I'll be getting a nice new Forgeworld Model to play with, namely that of a Spartan Assault Tank.  If you haven't seen the rules for it, it's a freaking beast.

AV14 all around, 4x TL Las per turn, Heavy Bolter or Heavy Flamer (TL for both) and the option to add more weapons and/or Armored Ceramite.  It's a beast.

I think that the best part is, that is holds (25) models!!!

My thoughts were this;  

Belial (Sword of Secrets)

Company "Masters" to represent each other Company (9 models)

Librarian (Force Axe)

Chaplain (Mace of Redemption)

This gives me a unit of (12) Characters, and yes, it will be stupid expensive, but...

Pros:

WS5 across the board

All models are at least (2) wounds each

All models have an Invulnerable save of at least 5+

10/12 models are SS capable, 6/12 will probably be deployed with them.

11 possible Combi-Weapons, plus Relentless (Thinking Plasma)

Cons:

Distinct Lack of Eternal Warrior (Common Enough Problem)

Company Masters cannot change their gear load-outs in TDA other than Combi-Weapons and take a Storm Shield

No heavy weapon option (Not so much an issue while riding in a LITTLE METAL BOX!)

Only 1 model with an AP2 weapon unless I drop the SoS.

The goal would be for each terminator to be painted to match his Company.  The only one that scares me is the 2nd company TDA, I wonder how hard it would be to make it look like a Black Knight wearing Terminator Armor, I know that he would be out of place, but hrmmm....

Anyone else have any thoughts?  Obviously this would only be played during very large games, but it might be a fun unit over-all.

Paul

I've never really seen the benefits of TDA over artificer armour with Company Master. I think it's a really nice idea, and it'd be cool as hell. But would the ravening ever be equipped with TDA at a all? 

4HP and melta don't add an extra D6? .. yes please.

If you are making a wrecking ball of death, wouldn't 10 knights hit harder with a few characters hit harder? They have 1 less attack and only have 1W but they would be be T5 and S10 for one round, which would wipe anything in the game.

Against anything MEQ or worse Azrael is better than Belial with the SOS, as he has more attacks, picks his warlord trait and a 6+ FNP. Plus he'd give a inv save to other characters without one.
Toss in Ezekel
10 Knights

and you have a WS6 T5 S10 2+/3++ death unit (at least for 1 turn)

of course unless you are fighting hordes of wrathknights or av14 vehicles or titans.. the S8 TH/PF would prob be better depending on Initiatives.

Have you also considered using some of that space for a techmarine with servo harness for rolling repairs? IIRC the servo harness doesn't make him bulky, so he still only takes 1/25th of the capacity.

Can it be taken in 40k? If so where are the rules for it?

The spartan assault tank? Yes it can. Rules are in Imperial Armour Volume 2 - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes (Second Edition) and in Imperial Armour Apocalypse.

I mean obviously points are not an issue.. but if you are running Azreal wouldn't it be better to save 5 points a model and just use regular termies? Scoring 2+ 4++ Str 8 2 atks add 2 Pyromancy librarians and two heavy flamers and oops! I just killed a horde before split fire charging into that unit a real just blinded. So.. 4 str 5 AP 4 templates with 16-22 bolter shots and up to 3 one use plasma shots two of which are bs 5 and blinding. 4 str 4 AP 3 swings 3 str 4 AP 6 swings and 20 str 8 AP 2. Just food for thought.

The idea of the following if that no matter what you put into that metal beast, you are realistically looking at killing one, maybe 2 units (when we add in the situational split fire) after which your unit will be in the open exposed to enemy fire. With that in mind - I would use units what will land you the best bang for your buck.

Hm... Ezekiel  and :

- 10 cc scouts

- 10 jump less assault marines

- 10 combi flamer/flamer veterans 

- 10 combi plasma/plasma veterans 

- a techmarine with the goodies

I am unfamilliar with the rules of the LR in question.  Can it transport 2 units at a time?

Well Beep them and their little dog too then....................................sighs

See my problem is if I'm going to do a project like this I want to have the uber units of awesome and by that I mean more than one unit. Zeke, Azzy, Chappy with Mace and 10 vets with assorted PW's...........another unit of Vets or Assault squad without packs. Point click watch as entire middle of enemy army folds. WS5 4++ all around 3-4 attacks each. whats not to love? And Azzy and Zeke can take challenges.

This is why I'm staying away from superheavies as long as possible...........I keep trying to talk myself into one the wife and the wallet will leave me both..............and not in that order either.

• 4 weeks later...

I've put more thought into this, and while I think that this concept has Merit, I gutted the embarked unit and started looking towards something like this;

Belial (Power Sword // Storm Bolter)

Int. Chaplain in TDA (Mace of Redemption + Lion's Roar)

Command Squad (DW Company Banner, 5x TH//SS)

Company Master in TDA (Monster Slayer + Storm Shield)

Company Master in TDA (Power Sword + Combi-Plasma)

Company Master in TDA (Power Sword + Foe Smiter)

Company Master in TDA (Power Sword + Combi-Flamer)

Company Master in TDA (Power Sword + Combi-Flamer)

Ezekial

Command Squad Bodies exist primarily for "Look out, Sir!" for the characters.  Banner gives the extra attacks, plus I can take the Stratagem that grants FnP to a SM banner on the table and get double bang for my buck.

Ezekial gets the 25th spot and acts as a super force multiplier.  between WS7 on 6 models, WS6 on one, and WS5 on the Terminators, the unit is nasty.  I personally feel it's almost the answer to any other massive formation in existance.  It makes a massive target, so protecting the beast would be a possible problem, but we'll see what happens.

Anyone have more opinions?

Paul

The idea of "all the chapter's company masters" in a tank of death...SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL :)

I wouldn't get too focused neithe ron being all TDA nor in searching for extreme balance: its a crazyness fest and you should not let your brain stray you down the logic path! hehehe

Archived