Victory!

I Legion

Played my first organized game since 2001 last weekend. Played against a cheeserific Eldar list.

We both were at 1850pts, playing The Relic

Azrael

5x Terminators with assault cannon

5x Terminators with assault cannon

5x Terminators with CML

Tactical Squad w/ 6 marines, 1x Plasma cannon

Ravenwing Biker Squad x3 with Plasma gun

Ravenwing Biker Squad x3 with Plasma gun

Contemptor Mortis with x2 Kheres and CML

Knight Errant

She played:

2x WraithKnight with S9 gun thingies

Eldrad with Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent

2x Dire Avenger mobs in Wave Serpent, 1 with Exarch

Crimson Avenger? Some sort of fighter jet thing

All of her units took pretty much every last upgrade they could to get to 1850 pts.

Highlights:

Knight Errant dropping a melta cannon template on Eldrad's head and wiping him and his squad out

Contemptor Mortis shredding the Eldar flyer

Squad of Terminators taking a WraithKnight down in CC in one turn, suffering only 1 casualty in return

Azreal making a combiplasma shot at 23' on the other WraithKnight to take it's last wound on turn 5

Lowlights

Eldar Pyshic Shriek attack causing 7 unsaveable wounds on a Terminator squad

Leaving a Ravenwing squad in the open and getting obliterated by a single Wave Serpent

Lessons learned:

Terminators still rock in CC vs large walkers(Wraith Knights)

Contemptor Dreads throwing 12 Kheres Assault Cannon shots are incredible

I need some way to counter Eldar psychic attacks

Comments?

Vs Eldar psychic attacks?  A librarian will help with giving you a better chance of succeeding at your Deny The Witch roll, as it's at least a +1 to the roll for him being there.  If you've upgraded the Mastery Level, there's a chance (albeit pretty small) of the librarian being a higher ML, which becomes a +2 to your DtW.  Also, the psychic hood allows him to Deny The Witch as if he was in the squad within a certain range, even if he's not attached.

And, very, very nice list.  Azrael was really a multiplier there to give you the most chance of moving the relic, by making all of those units, except the Knight, into troops.

Do remember that as long as your bikes move, you get that jink save.  Don't let them just sit there unmoving during your turn.

Plasma cannon in a tac squad:  Remember that if you don't have relentless, you can't fire the plasma cannon at all if the model moves.  I find it more of a Terminator/vehicle weapon, or put it in a Devastator squad that's unlikely to move.  However, that's a personal opinion and we can always agree to disagree on that.  I just don't like to put a weapon that either moves OR shoots into a tac squad, as they usually move around for best flexibility.

Nice win!  WraithKnight spam is so cheese, but your list seemed to deal with them nicely.

Like Johny said use some Mastery Level 2 librarians to help with Deny The Witch rolls.

BTW, how do your Ravenwing Biker Squad have 3 plasma guns, are you giving your Sergeant a combi weapon?

I actually parked the Tac squad on an elevated corner of the board and used the plasma cannon to snipe at anything coming into that quadrant. Served as a decent deterrent, but definitely didn't earn it's points back.

The bikes vs the Wave Serpent: that damn thing pumped out just too damn many shots for me to have a chance of surviving. Those things are flat nasty and they seem highly under priced.

Azrael turning everything into troops was the sole reason I took him. 6 scoring units, especially being able to mix between the fast bikes and the resilient Terminators, made my opponent have to really prioritize targets. And with the Knight marauding up the middle of the table, she had more targets than she had guns. The fact that Azrael put down a Wraith Knight was just icing on the cake.

As for the psychic powers...in retrospect, that is what the Eldar were known for back in the day. I'm a bit rusty on my game mechanics, but Eldar with wild space magic does seem apt.

Nice win!  WraithKnight spam is so cheese, but your list seemed to deal with them nicely.

Like Johny said use some Mastery Level 2 librarians to help with Deny The Witch rolls.

BTW, how do your Ravenwing Biker Squad have 3 plasma guns, are you giving your Sergeant a combi weapon?

There is only 1 plasma gun per 3 bikers. The squad consists of a Sgt, Plasma gunner and biker with bolt pistol. I have 2 of the DV biker packs.

Comparatively speaking, I wouldn't call that Eldar list "cheeserific".

Lowlights

Eldar Pyshic Shriek attack causing 7 unsaveable wounds on a Terminator squad

You CAN take invulnerable saves versus Psychic Shriek, so your Deathwing Terminators should have saved on a 5++; 4++ if they were with Azrael, or 3++ for those with storm shields.

Leaving a Ravenwing squad in the open and getting obliterated by a single Wave Serpent

A Wave Serpent is dangerous, considering the volume of fire it can put out, but you will get either an armor save of Jink save versus every single wound that it's weapons deal out.  To really light up a squad though, it has to drop its shield (but it still has a Jink save if it moved at all).  A Wave Serpent is AV 12, so it can be glanced to death even with its shield active.  Having only three ranged  weapons in 1850 points that can reliably accomplish this is more than a bit of a self-imposed handicap though, and a Wave Serpent will certainly be making a point of staying away from any dangerous close combat units.

Archived