Robs Raptors - New Pics Pg2 (Knight & THSS Termies)

Rob451

Like many have already said, the grittiness/battle damage on the armour is done very well and I love the OSL on the las/plasma weapons. Lot of little touches to each just add that bit more to the army as a whole smile.png

What a treat for a Monday morning! You have a great force of Raptors here. Love how gritty you have made them look.

Excellent work Brother smile.png

That was my thought as well!! Truly a nice blog to discover this morning! Congrats on these Raptors, they are fantastic. I think it's awesome how many people are really throwing their weight into making cool Raptors forces around here. There are what, like 4-5 Raptors Halls of Honor blogs going on right now?

What a treat for a Monday morning! You have a great force of Raptors here. Love how gritty you have made them look.

That was my thought as well!! Truly a nice blog to discover this morning! Congrats on these Raptors, they are fantastic. I think it's awesome how many people are really throwing their weight into making cool Raptors forces around here. There are what, like 4-5 Raptors Halls of Honor blogs going on right now?

I have to admit it's really surprising how many Raptors players there are on this forum and all with very unique takes on the army as well which is very refreshing.

My biggest problem though is that I have the attention span of a butterfly. Now that I have a sizeable force I have this itch to paint a different chapter.

Currently left to paint are another 10 Scout models plus the crew for a Landspeeder Storm. The Storm itself is finished but I'm not posting it until the crew is done. Once that's all done I think I'm going to sell off the army so I can start on something new.

I have to admit it's really surprising how many Raptors players there are on this forum and all with very unique takes on the army as well which is very refreshing.

My biggest problem though is that I have the attention span of a butterfly. Now that I have a sizeable force I have this itch to paint a different chapter.

Currently left to paint are another 10 Scout models plus the crew for a Landspeeder Storm. The Storm itself is finished but I'm not posting it until the crew is done. Once that's all done I think I'm going to sell off the army so I can start on something new.

Hey if you have the attention span to get through 2000 points that's better than me; I'm still nowhere near that and I've been painting mine on and off for like 3 years.

Hey if you have the attention span to get through 2000 points that's better than me; I'm still nowhere near that and I've been painting mine on and off for like 3 years.  

I'm a fairly fast painter. Probably due to working from home so I can paint stuff of my breaks. My local GW also runs campaigns that award bonus points for fully painted and based armies so I try and make sure I only field painted models. I actually won the last 40k campaign there entirely because of those bonus points.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Finished up some commissions for the new owner of this army.

The client wanted a Captain with the Burning Blade and Shield Eternal and asked if I could convert something up for him. This model is based on the Plastic Captain with Combi-Grav with various bits of Sternguard and Vanguard thrown in.

I.  Love.  These.  You've executed the muted look perfectly.

My one complaint is the OSL on your headlights.  It seems like the blue drifts too far towards he center, well outside of what the lights would actually illuminate, given their angle.  The headlights on the Raider seem rather washed out in particular, but I can already tell you if I was trying that with an airbrush, I'd jam the needle through my eye in a rancorous outburst rather quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

You have done a great job, but I agree with Firepower that the OSL seems a little off. I think the problem might be that the centers of the sources aren't bright enough (or the pics are washing them out) rather than or in addition to that the bleed is too wide.

• 4 weeks later...

Another batch of commissions have been completed for the Raptors. 

This time I added a squad of Assault Terminators and an Imperial Knight.

The client wanted the Imperial Knight in Raptors colours and heraldry so I cribbed a bit from House Cadmus. He also wanted the weapon to be magnetised so e could run it as an Errant or a Paladin. It was my first time magnetising a Knights weapon and it was far easier than I was expecting.

assaulterminators.jpg

retribution.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A feast for the eyes - great colour choices and great photography.

If I might offer a bit of criticism, the OSL in some places (Devastators for example) looks a bit 'solid'. A couple of colours layered on top of each other might yield a more realistic effect. That said, you've achieved great results on the vehicles, the Rhino in particular.

Something about the flame blade is kinda off but I can't figure what.  Hot tip/cold hilt just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe should have gone for a hot/glowing edges look instead?  Swords with such broad blades are for slashing, not poking..

Archived