Lamenters by The Goldfish of Justice

darkwrath

These really are phenominal, the best Lamenters I've seen. If you don't mind me asking, would you be willing to share a couple of your methods? I'm really curious about the recipe for that yellow and how you achieved such a convincing but understated batle damage effect.

Not a problem at all AGPO. I undercoat everything a neutral grey (Vallejo grey surface primer) so it doesn't affect the colours, the yellow was achieved by basecoating in vermin brown with the airbrush, then I do a zenithal (top down, as if you're shining a light above it) highlight of yriel yellow with the airbrush, then because that can look a little harsh, just extend those highlights further down each panel with the airbrush. then I used flashgitz yellow through the airbrush and did a very rough coat over the tops and sides of each armour section leaving a bit of yriel yellow showing through, then do the same with flashgitz yellow plus a bit of white (I haven't got any ratios as I was mixing on the fly, but get it fairly pale as the last few steps add in the rich yellow colour). then do edge highlights with a 50/50 mix of flashgitz yellow and vallejo model colour pale sand. once all thats done, glaze the whole thing with gw's lamentors yellow (no need to do it as a proper glaze, just wash it on but not as thick as you would do for a normal wash). 

The battle damage was just eshin grey painted on in areas that get the most wear or in places you think might get hit with shrapnel, weapons etc. one thing I did learn whilst doing these was that if you move the model and not the brush when doing chipping, its placement is more random but still controllable and looks more realistic. once the chips are done, I put a thin underline of vmc pale sand under every chip to give it the 3d effect (trompe l'oeil the effect is called). 

Hopefully that gives a better insight as to what I was upto :D 

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, They were a really nice project to work on and I was very sad to see them go. 

Archived