Chapter Tactics & Forge World

Dark_Master

Hello Brothers,

I have just emailed Forge World about using our 'tactics' with Forge World vehicles.

As other chapters can use their tactics (Especially Sons of Medusa/ Iron Hands) I was asking if they could publish a FAQ that allowed us to use Grim Resolve (less likely) or (more useful) Deathwing Vehicle for the Land Raider variants, Spartans & (especially) dreadnoughts.

Thoughts?

Cheers

DM

Hello all,

Had this reply

'Hi ***,

Thank you for your email. The units available in Imperial Armour Volume 2 Second Edition are not exclusive variants for the Dark Angels and do not gain any additional rules from Codex: Dark Angels. We have no current plans to alter this.'

Hmm so Sons of Medusa get 'it will not die' for free on a contemptor because of the Iron Hands chapter tactics, but we cannot buy Deathwing Vehicle?

Unfair!

DM

GW doesn't like sons of the Lion's, gosh I am shocked verymad.gif Considering fact most of us have been playing entire 5th edition and parts of the 6th edition with 4th edition Codex GW's or its subsidiaries dismissive attitude towards the 1st legion is nothing new nor nothing surprising... but that makes our victories ever so more sweeter...

Hello all,

Had this reply

'Hi ***,

Thank you for your email. The units available in Imperial Armour Volume 2 Second Edition are not exclusive variants for the Dark Angels and do not gain any additional rules from Codex: Dark Angels. We have no current plans to alter this.'

Hmm so Sons of Medusa get 'it will not die' for free on a contemptor because of the Iron Hands chapter tactics, but we cannot buy Deathwing Vehicle?

Unfair!

DM

You know what appears right here ?

The fact that the guy replying didn't even understand the question and where it comes from.

He actually seems that he didn't realise (or even know) that other chapters could get profit from chapter tactics. To him, you were asking for a specific bonus that no other chapter has rather than asking for getting in line with the other codexes.

It really shows how those guys are just models producers and not game creators...

the Dark Angels Chapter tactic "Grim Resolve" does absolutely nothing for our vehicles, and so you are complaining about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, ergo wallbash.gif. Otherwise, Forgeworld vehicles are not specifically Deathwing Vehicles, and so they do not have any specifically Deathwing upgrades available to them. Just like Predators, Whirlwinds, and Vindicators. Can't make those Deathwing Vehicles either, no matter how close in proximity they are to Deathwing Vehicles parked in the Dark Angels motor pool, and no matter how much you might want to. Forgeworld could always change their mind, but I wouldn't expect them to do so unless they were releasing another Forgeworld book featuring the Dark Angels, and wanted to sell more models to us.

Just like Predators, Whirlwinds, and Vindicators. Can't make those Deathwing Vehicles either, no matter how close in proximity they are to Deathwing Vehicles parked in the Dark Angels motor pool, and no matter how much you might want.

I never intended for those for those to be included. Just the ones that could carry terminators, such as Spartans and the Land Raider variants.

Fluff wise I find it a bit silly that a regular dreadnought can be a deathwing vehicle and a Contemptor (supposedly some of them being older) cannot?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/FWchaptertactics-v2.pdf

So Sons of Medusa get 'It will not die' for free, and we can't buy deathwing vehicle?

Anyway hopefully it will change in the future.

Cheers

DM

the Dark Angels Chapter tactic "Grim Resolve" does absolutely nothing for our vehicles, and so you are complaining about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, ergo wallbash.gif. Otherwise, Forgeworld vehicles are not specifically Deathwing Vehicles, and so they do not have any specifically Deathwing upgrades available to them. Just like Predators, Whirlwinds, and Vindicators. Can't make those Deathwing Vehicles either, no matter how close in proximity they are to Deathwing Vehicles parked in the Dark Angels motor pool, and no matter how much you might want to. Forgeworld could always change their mind, but I wouldn't expect them to do so unless they were releasing another Forgeworld book featuring the Dark Angels, and wanted to sell more models to us.

There's more than just vehicles in the Imperial Armor books. Rapier weapons batteries use (and pay for) the chapter tactics rule.

Also I would argue that being unable to take a land raider prometheus (<3) as a dedicated transport (despite being a dedicated transport in the book!) because it cannot buy the deathwing vehicle rule is borderline broken.

There's more than just vehicles in the Imperial Armor books. Rapier weapons batteries use (and pay for) the chapter tactics rule.

Also I would argue that being unable to take a land raider prometheus (<3) as a dedicated transport (despite being a dedicated transport in the book!) because it cannot buy the deathwing vehicle rule is borderline broken.

Lol, didn't notice that, even more reason to have it then.

DM

Edit: do you have a page number? Can't find quote.

Hmm,

Tried to clarify what I meant

'Hello,

Thank you for the clarification, however I was not requesting a separate document, just an update of the one already in your FAQ's.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/FWchaptertactics-v2.pdf

For example, a Contemptor in a Iron Hands army benefits from the chapter tactic 'It will not die'. However as the Dark Angels don't have chapter tactics as such, we can't apply our special rules to IA2 vehicles.

Could the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade not be added to the above document?

Regards'

Got this today

'Hi Ben,

Thank you for your email. The Dark Angels do not have Chapter Tactics and we have no intention of writing additional rules for them for use in Warhammer 40,000. It is important to note that vehicles do not benefit from Chapter Tactics. The Iron Hands chapter tactics is an exception and it is noted in the rule that it is an exception. We have no plans to add aditional rules to vehicles for the Dark Angels.'

Guess that's that then.

Unless people want to request themselves?

DM

I suspect there's a hang up in how you're asking the question. The things you're after are 

A) When a unit with the chapter tactics rule is taken as part of a dark angels detachment, do they benefit from Grim Resolve instead (the most analogous rule to chapter tactics DA has)?

B) Can land raider and dreadnought variants taken as part of a DA detachment purchase the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade in line with the land raiders/dreadnoughts in the base codex?

Your questions are making it seem like you're asking forgeworld to make special chapter tactics like they've done with some C:SM chapters they've touched on.

Well,

The Blood Angel's contemptor rules give the option for Bloodclaws, their Storm Eagle get Bloodstrike Missiles, etc.

GK have something similar.

The SW Contemptor from IA:Aeronautica gets options for taking things from the Space Wolf Book (Those stupid vow things)

There are more that I could point out, but I don't have my book with me.  All we should need to bring some of these things to order:

Contemptors, Mortis Contemptors, and Mark V Mortis should have an option for Venerable.  With a Caveat that says: "Dreadnoughts taken as part of a Dark Angels Detachment with the Venerable Upgrade receive the "Inner Circle" special Rule, please see C:DA for these rules"

Same for Land Raiders, Storm Eagle, Fire Raptors, etc.  Any of these that are attached to the 1st company would benefit from this, it makes sense.  

Would be awfully nice; I realize that it's situation based, but I don't like that I can't get the above upgrades for fluff purposes.

Paul

I don't share the desire to see the venerable/Deathwing upgrade to be available for contemptors. They're already ancient relics and more bad :cuss in their own way. I would like to have the option for Deathwing Vehicle on all land raiders. Ask your group if they're willing to allow it for the usual points cost. I'm not sure my friends would appreciate that on a Spartan with armoured ceramite, although it might teach them to stop wasting so much firepower on targets they're unlikely to harm. devil.gif

However, there is a way to sort of do this with the rules we have. The new edition of Imperial Armour 2 includes 'legacies' that can be given to your vehicles and one of them has the same damage re-rolling rule as Deathwing Vehicle. You do miss out on Preferred Enemy: Chaos Marines, and can't duplicate any legacies, but it's something.

Grim Resolve for artillery crews and the like is something I hadn't considered. As the Chapter Tactics rule does nothing for us I expect many groups
would be happy to house-rule that Grim Resolve applies instead. I suppose the same argument could be made for Blood Angels and the Red Thirst.

I also asked about Grim Resolve and Deathwing Vehicle,

"Hi there.

It is perfectly fine for a Dark Angels Rapier crew to have the Grim Resolve rule but we can give no official ruling on whether a Spartan can have take the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade although if your opponents are happy for you to do this then that is fine with us."

Consistancy?

Nick

Archived