Skies of Fury + Locator Beacon

MagnusPihl

I'm probably late to this party, but I just realized that the Space Marine's Stormraven can take a Locator Beacon, and unlike the Teleport Homer, the Beacon doesn't seem to require having been on the board at the start of the turn.

Meanwhile, the Skies of Fury allows units in a Stormraven to disembark even if it's moved further than 6", but requires that they do so as if Deep Striking - if they scatter, all models must take a Dangerous Terrain test.

If you take a Stormraven and kit it out with its own Locator Beacon, could you then zoom in from reserves up to 36", drop off a unit within 6" (somewhere on the Stormraven's path, so they would have to deep strike behind it) and completely ignore the disadvantage?

Somewhat unrelated but relevant (no Locator Beacon involved): If the transported unit has Move Through Cover (the new Scions, or Mantis Warrior Space Marines, for example) they ignore Dangerous Terrain tests anyway, so aside from possibly not ending up where they want to be (notably impassable terrain), they're also fairly safe in disembarking - correct?

I'm probably late to this party, but I just realized that the Space Marine's Stormraven can take a Locator Beacon, and unlike the Teleport Homer, the Beacon doesn't seem to require having been on the board at the start of the turn.

Erm...read the Locator Beacon rules in the SM Codex again. Page 125

I only have the eBook version of the 6th edition codex. Here's the full quote from the Vehicle Equipment section:

Locator Beacon: Friendly units do not scatter when deep striking within 6" of a locator beacon.

It's also mentioned in the Special Issue Wargear section with exactly the same wording.

I only have the eBook version of the 6th edition codex. Here's the full quote from the Vehicle Equipment section:

Locator Beacon: Friendly units do not scatter when deep striking within 6" of a locator beacon.

It's also mentioned in the Special Issue Wargear section with exactly the same wording.

Hmmm. The paper version says:

Friendly units do not scatter when they Deep Strike, so long as the first model is placed within 6" of a model with a locator beacon. The locator beacon must have been on the battlefield at the start of the tum in order for it to be used.

I think the wording in c:BA is slightly different to the wording in c:SM. C:SM basically further clarified it hence the thread in this forum specifically about blood angel locator beacons.

But yeah, so long as the raven hasn't entered play that turn you can do precisely that.

Archived