Interrogator-Chaplain on bike

Kimbaras

Hey fellow sons of the Lion!

I've read various lists here, competitive and fluffy but interrogator-chaplains aren't really a common choice, are they?

I mean, i field one quite often on a bike with a Ravenwing Command Squad or with Black Knights and he proved himselft quite good, with re-rolls on the fist turn of combat. Usually i charge with the squad, Hit & Run and then charge again, also if enemy charges you in his turn, you still get re-rolls.

Plus, i've think 20 point more for BS 5, one additional wound and prefered enemy chaos (which i still think it's kinda yes/no/i don't know) it's a good price...

Am I missing something? they aren't so common for some reason or just the others HQ are better so they are left behind?

They aren't always left behind, but many people will use a named character for the unlocks and then a librarian for the defence/buffing potential. 

Interrogator Chaplains certainly aren't bad, but a lot of people will leave them behind because the above choices take priority for list-building or efficiency purposes.

I've used an Int-Chap to great effect in a TDA/MoR setup, only once I've gotten the Furious Charge warlord trait but it was awesome when I did. I run him entirely because I love the model, but I don't think he's really the best bang for your buck.

I think you don't see them in lists that often is because people on this board opt to run DW or RW lists which need Belial or Sammael to work. Outside of those lists, I think people will argue that for GW-centric lists, a Librarian is more cost effective and offers better support whether as infantry, TDA or on a bike. The int chap can be made into a mediocre close combat fighter, but not without spending more points on him. At that point, I think people see the value of having a supporting HQ who can do more in that role over a CC HQ who can do "ok". It's sort of an opportunity cost.

HIs positives come from his Initiative, Attack and Wounds over the other generic HQs. I'm not really that impressed with BS5, the only way you can really gain a benefit from that is by spending more points on a weapon that's worth BS5. As it stands he comes with a bolt pistol, nothing really that's going to scare anyone.

He's more durable for sure, but I think people have a hard time bringing him in lists when they are trying to find points for wargear elsewhere in their armylist.

One of my biggest pet peeves about this codex is that they gave Dark Angels Chaps Zealot, when they already come with Fearless from Inner Circle. Hatred becomes the only attractive thing about a chaplain, and when you have access to [cheaper] Librarians who have access to Prescience it's a hard sell.

Like I said though, I run a TDA-Int Chap with Mace and he's fun vs xenos and other lowly infantry, but don't expect him to really tear it up against 2+ or tougher CC opponents.

Chaplain gives buffs for charging and except for Black Knights, you really dont want to charge with bikes, so the defensive and shooting buffs that the libby can bring take priority over the Chaplains abilities.

Chaplain gives buffs for charging and except for Black Knights, you really dont want to charge with bikes, so the defensive and shooting buffs that the libby can bring take priority over the Chaplains abilities.

It should be noted that Hatred is applied to first round of combat, charge or not.

Yeah sure i don't make him charge against some monstrous creature o 2+ squads, but in my meta there are a lot of tyr, guards and orks (and i mean really a lot, like 11-12 players on a usual 20 "veterans" players who play every tournament) so against these guys my int-chap always did well, or at least pretty good, but i see your points, as the libby is more cost efficient in a support role. 

But i suppose this is just a personal preferences, as i tend to be as "epic" as possible so i tend to charge every time i can (even if i shouldn't sometimes!!!)

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys :)

It should be noted that Hatred is applied to first round of combat, charge or not.

yep, that's why i usually H&R with the knights after the first round, so i can benefit from the ro-rolls every fight (even if this puts me in line for enemy shooting)

I play with chaplains and my task once I get more experience is to shoehorn an interrogator into a 900pts build with some assault marines. Which I think will be a good combo. Chaplains can be great if you invest the points and don't leave him alone in the list like some kind of misfit points filler.

I think that I'd probably rock asmodai with a terminator bubble wrap too. That sounds like good fun.

I don't use him often, mainly because of the point cost, for coolness I'd definitely roll with my chaplain though.

I have used an Interrogator Chaplain on a bike with MoR quite succesfully so far. He usually packs more punch than the librarian, and the hatred (first round) is enough when I team him up with my Black Knights/RW Command squad. I always try to use hit and run, to get the most out of the plasma talon, and in that case Hatred is enough (and Prescience of the librarian is good, but only useful in melee.. as all the guns are TL).

Archived