Dark angel codex update

matthew.youngatl

Whilst I may hope to see an update for the Dark angel codex to address certain issues and gripes I do not think there should be anything done along the lines suggested by the opener. It might be nice to have some of the toys from the marine book but I don't feel we need any of them.

I cannot agree with Stobz about Deathwing, I have fielded pure Deathwing against a range of foes, both enjoying my games and often winning too. Opponents have rarely felt that my Deathwing were anything close to over-priced. Now perhaps that is just down to local meta but I did take the list to a throne of skulls event (before escalation and stronghold assault came into the game admittedly) and did reasonably well facing a nice range of opponents. None of my games with Deathwing have been so one sided that either side felt there was no chance. Which is what a game should have, a decent chance for either side to achieve victory.

I say the same is true of all list variants you can run for Dark angels. Not every option in the codex is good and some are genuinely bad but it isn't going to cripple your list just because you take a Nephilim or Land speeder vengeance. Ravenwing are particularly potent in my experience of the current book and regular greenwing are arguably more interesting and viable than regular marines in some ways due to some of the support options such as the sacred standards, veterans and HQ characters with certain pieces of equipment. Mixed wing lists are probably more powerful than ever and although I think pure Deathwing are the most tricky to make work well they can still smack stuff around well enough for me.

Hi DaD, don't get me wrong, DW can still do well against many lists but in a really highly competitive environment they go down hard and often in my meta. I will often outplay my opponent with regard to objectives and still struggle to survive enough to keep the win. 

Because the Dex seems to be written from a mix-wing vantage point I have had great success adding Whirlwinds, Pod Vets and Typhoons (and even my Vengeance on occasion) to a base DW/RW force and have done pretty well unless facing a cheese army. Most of the time my opponents bring friendly lists and those are great games, but when it comes to crunch time or pre tournament practice time and they minimise their own codexes weaknesses the really juicy units in our Dex starts to look too expensive to keep up.

I could of course do similar and add something juicy from an allied detachment, I just can't bring myself to do that. I want my beloved DA to be competitive within their own book. Is that too much to ask?  Yep :lol:

I certainly agree with you and don't think the OP is right in asking for all/any of the units from other Marine dexes, let them keep their point of difference. I think we just need a couple of well placed tweaks and ours would be top notch instead of mediocre.

:D

s

I agree with the dentist here.

We cannot say that our codex is perfect and that some of the FAQ issue have not impacted us badly. Of course there are improvements to have. PFG, DW sgt, Nephilim missiles, LSV profiles, and to a certain extent, company vet options. Those are ways of work for the GW studio.

On the other hand, the OP is talking about getting centurions and other units as an update. This is a totally different topic. And I don't think it's the way to go. 1st because getting too close from the vanilla in term of options will lead us to the Black Templars fate, and we don't want that. Then because, giving us the SM options won't get us better. Centurions or stalkers are not "must have" units so I really don't see the point.

As for the DW point, we must accept that DW, and to be more general, termi armies cannot be competitive. There will always be average. When GK used to be the top codex, the worst GK armies I've faced didn't contain a single termi. They were all about min/max PA units with psycannons. There was the little "paladins" period but the RWBK make those ineffective and anyway I don't think this was the kind of improvement anybody wants.

I'm perfectly happy with this dex because I got beaten in a close game against IG after having won against chaos... Both armies were strong and handled by competent players.

I could of course do similar and add something juicy from an allied detachment, I just can't bring myself to do that. I want my beloved DA to be competitive within their own book. Is that too much to ask? Yep

But which army now is competitive by its own? None.

Competitive environments do force players to mix anyway. Taudar, WS/Tau, CG/necrons etc etc.

Improving the DA codex to fit those totally "collateral damages of GW creation process" will lead the DA to be totally OP

So if you ask me that DA codex should be improved to beat a WS/tau alliance including an inquisitorial detachment like I've seen on ETC qualifications... Then I say no thanks.

I wish we could field better flyers though. I'd kill for even just the storm raven

why not take a look at a Fire Raptor?  Got one and it is fantastic!  Sure, it doesn't have the troop carrying capacity, but if you want that, take a Storm Eagle!

Had a feeling I was clicking into a thread like this!

To the OP, not sure why we'd get the relics/marches HQs as an entry.  DA's knowingly follow a different chapter structure compared to the others.

Not gonna touch the lightning rod that is the rest of this thread though!

Archived