500-750 point armies: which HQ do you take?

Dosjetka

I've been toying around with the idea of starting a small Chaos Space Marine force using the Black legion supplement for a while now and have always wondered which HQ choice I should take at such a small points level. I think it's easy to say that a Daemon Prince or a named character (which don't really interest me anyway) are off the books right away due to their high point cost. So, that leaves me with a Sorcerer, a Warpsmith or a Lord, but I'm not too sure what to take.

I'm planning on running my Chaos Space Marines as a mid-range shooting/close combat army and I thought of having at least one unit of CSM with a MoS (gotta love the black 'n pink colour scheme), so I'm leaning towards a Sorcerer with MoS, Mastery Level 2, VotLW (mandatory in BL lists) and a force weapon of some kind (any suggestions would be much appreciated). That clocks up at around 105 points, which isn't too bad, but I'm wondering if there's perhaps more effective HQ's around? I've heard a few things about how surprisingly good a Warpsmith can be, but a WS's starting cost is up at 110 points which seems very steep for me when you've only got 500-750 points available.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what suggestions you all have, so feel free to share them!

Cheers,

Ludo

I take a Slaanesh Lord. But that is to open up Noise Marines as troops for my Slaanesh army.

At that points level, I wouldn't suggest a Warp Smith. Either of the other two would work but hold back on the wargear.

I suppose it depends on how competitive/cheesy you want the list to be.

Trust me, a (Flying) Daemon Prince in 750pts will dominate a lot of the time.  In 500pts, it'd be even worse (albeit at the cost of your army being a one trick pony).

We had an Iron Man tournament not that long ago where I ran 2 of them in 600pts.  Needless to say, I wrecked face with them.

- (Iron Man being that if something gets killed in game, it remains dead for your remaining games unless you roll a 4+ to save it.)

What you do take as HQ may well be decided by what you want to take for the rest of the army.  If you want Cult Troops then you must take a Lord, for example.

Up to 500-700 points I like two cheap HQ choices, a Lord and a Sorcerer who do not pass the 100 points mark in their value. The Burning Brand is golden at this level and it is well worth its points. Field the rest with some Cultists and even CSM and you have a solid and workable core. Flexibility is key in the low point games and this is where Bikers and Obliterators truly shine, even at their minimum of options. 

My last 750 game I used Ahriman.  Normally I wouldn't do that but it was a silly game and my opponent brought Marneus Calgar.

Normally at 750 I would play a cheap Sorcerer of Tzeentch as my hq since I need him to unlock Thousand Sons as troops.

I've tended to use a naked Sorc (w/Telepathy & Force Staff) when I'm playing that small.  Admittedly, he kinda sucks and is horribly fragile, but he is so CHEAP, has good LD, and the S6 AP4 weapon is occasionally very useful.

Beyond that, I've had much better success with Chaos HQs that cost north of ~155pts.

Cheers for the feedback people. Some of the comments aren't too useful because you're suggesting that I take Artfacts from C:CSM which I have no access to if I use the Black Legion supplement, but I appreciate the effort.

Right now, I'm probably going to roll with my Slaaneshi Sorcerer and see how that goes. If it doesn't work out, I'll pop back here and ask for more advice :)

Archived