dreadnought army

durdle-durdle

so i'm interested in collecting dreadnoughts.  their models just look amazing to me.  I've heard that blood angels are terribad, and i've heard the same thing about dreadnoughts in general.  I'm not looking to win tournaments or anything, but i don't want to lose every game I play.  What do you guys think about the concept of an all-dreadnought army (except for HQ)?  would that just be terrible?  My thought is that just the sheer amount of armor (ALL ARMOR) might even overwhelm lascannon heavy lists.  In particular, i just love the look and fluff behind the furioso, death company dread, and librarian dread.  

does anyone else find this interesting, or am i alone in this?

I don't know about an all dreadnought army. It isn't exactly possible even with the BA since you need two troop choices and in order to take the second death company dread you need an additional 5 death company marines. But with proper support and some good deployment/tactics, dreadnought heavy armies can be really good. I played against an IG player with 6 dreadnoughts, a vanguard team and some other jump infantry and wiped the table more or less. Dreadnoughts are fun.

There is also this batrephttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4eduEdL4Pohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4eduEdL4Po 

I don't know about an all dreadnought army. It isn't exactly possible even with the BA since you need two troop choices and in order to take the second death company dread you need an additional 5 death company marines.

Not quite true, while you can't make a legal list without some infantry, a single 10 man DC squad allows buying 2 DC dreadnoughts and so on (one DC dread per 5 DC). Also the DC dread is the second troop choice. Thirdly there is nothing wrong with having two DC squads, as long as you take Astorath.

Unless I'm missing something the hard maximum is 11 dreads per FOC: 3 Furiosos (Elites), 5 DC dreads (Troops, 1 DC squad needed to unlock), 3 regular dreadnoughts (Heavy Support) If you upgrade them a bit, you can easily unlock the second FOC.

I love dreads! I have 12 of them but I've never used more than 6 in a list, yet.

If you want to run an all dread force (or as close as you can get) you probably need to trim it down to 10 or 9 to make it somewhat playable. With the full 11 there's no room for the necessary transports and upgrades. 

Librarian

3* Furioso with fragcannons and drop pods

3* Death Company dreadnought with drop pods (choice of claws or fists)

15 deathcompany in a Land raider crusader with multimelta

3* Heavy support dreadnoughts with double twinlinked autocannons 

1980 pts. 

Not exactly a 'good' list but definitely playable.

I love dreads! I have 12 of them but I've never used more than 6 in a list, yet.

If you want to run an all dread force (or as close as you can get) you probably need to trim it down to 10 or 9 to make it somewhat playable. With the full 11 there's no room for the necessary transports and upgrades. 

Librarian

3* Furioso with fragcannons and drop pods

3* Death Company dreadnought with drop pods (choice of claws or fists)

15 deathcompany in a Land raider crusader with multimelta

3* Heavy support dreadnoughts with double twinlinked autocannons 

1980 pts. 

Not exactly a 'good' list but definitely playable.

I would tweak that somewhat.

Drop a Fragioso for a Furioso Librarian with Shield of Sanguinius in a Lucious Pod. Put Lucius Pods on the other Fragiosos. Get a 3++ cover save for them and everything behind :)

I've heard that blood angels are terribad, and i've heard the same thing about dreadnoughts in general.  

Woah where did you hear this from?

Well it's true!  

BA is the weakest codex in the game, together with Orks. And dreads in general are way over costed considering how easy they are to kill. (unless you are Nids, lol).

There's no easy spam list in our codex, you need to have a plan for every unit. Always play the mission, take care to never mess up deployment.

It's by no means impossible to win with BA, but in a competitive environment you are fighting an uphill battle.

I have always fancied a Dreadnought heavy army, that's why I loved the BA Codex when it came out. I wanted a DC army. Lots DC, a Chaplain, a Storm Raven and as many DC Dreads as the points total would allow.

Not very competitive, but great fun to play, a friend and I play tested it with substitute models, a very casualty heavy game, but great fun. He played Orks.

Archived