power weapons for terminator captain...

giovanz81

Hi, i don't understand if i can take a power axe for my terminator captain. on the profile i read: power sword but on wargear list, on terminator weapons, you read: "can replace his power weapon with one of..."

The question is simple. I want take a power axe for my terminator captain, but i can do it only if he has a power weapon...and not a power sword.

where is the right? on profile or on wargear list? Consider the same question for terminator team sergeant... or any character who want take a terminator armour and power weapon...

Thank you all!

I think you can take a Power Axe as part of the Power Weapon instead of the Power sword.

If not, pay up the few points and get a Power Fist, it's better than the Axe, and you'll swing at the same Initiative.

It is unfortunately kind of clear on it. If a model has an option for a power weapon it is simply based on what the weapon looks like but his profile reads power sword. There is no RAW way around this, your friends might be fine with it but in any competitive setting you will probably get called out on it. Might as well just pay the few points to upgrade to a lightning claw or thunder hammer if you don't want the sword, both are better than it, and the hammer is quite cheap all things considered.

Note: This is the same thing that happened with howling banshees, their profile specifically reads power sword, not power weapon. If the profile says what the weapon is you don't get any choice what so ever.

Edit: Fixed Type

Ok... I consider to change the armour in an Artificer Armour...i don't want to lose my cool axe!

Meh, just take the axe, no one (and I mean no one) is going to call you out. More importantly, post a link to a better pic of the model in your avatar please, it looks awesome.

Watch it!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/126771-raptors-terminator-captain/

Ok... I consider to change the armour in an Artificer Armour...i don't want to lose my cool axe!

Meh, just take the axe, no one (and I mean no one) is going to call you out. More importantly, post a link to a better pic of the model in your avatar please, it looks awesome.

Watch it!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/126771-raptors-terminator-captain/

I am in freakin' love with that. Sweet. The axe just looks awesome, could I derail your thread even further and ask you how you painted it?

Note: This is the same thing that happened with hollowing banshees,

The lesser known and much, much more horrifying cousins of the Howling Banshees? :P

Watch it!

I am in freakin' love with that. Sweet. The axe just looks awesome, could I derail your thread even further and ask you how you painted it?

>Note: This is the same thing that happened with hollowing banshees,

The lesser known and much, much more horrifying cousins of the Howling Banshees? tongue.png

Woops, had to fix that. Those would be horrifying.

• 2 weeks later...

You might get some grumbling, but RAW yes, thats how it works. How people react to it in practice.... less so. Most likely theyd ask him to ignore the RAW and use it as an axe.

So, the OP could use his model quite clearly showing a power axe as a power sword and this would be fine in a tournament as this is all the rules allow?

No.  If the unit has a Power Weapon, it uses the profile as modelled.  If the unit has an Axe/Halberd, it is classed as, and used as, a Power Axe.  That's what the RAW allows.

All he could do was to explain that he would like it to 'count-as' a Power Sword.

If the unit in question could legitimately be equipped with a Power Sword, most wouldn't complain.

But some players, and probably most Tournaments, might press for 'what you see is what you get', and insist it is used as a Power Axe.

Edit: More specifically, the mini in the OP has a Power Sword.  That cannot be a Power Axe, unless he has the option to Purchase a Power Axe.

Edit2: Heh rambling due to work interruptions.

Using a modelled Power Axe as a Power Sword, most wouldn't grumble about the 'counts-as'.  I wouldn't.  But as said, some players/TO's might push for WYSIWYG.

You'd really need to check.

However, the rules on using a PW say that if its not specified, refer to the model. This unit on the other hand is quite specific.

If a model's wargear says it has a power weapon which has no further special rules, look at the rnodel to tell which type of power weapon it has:

Thus, theres no rules conflict here. A terminator captain comes base with a powersword, and we have no rules at all to tell us what to do in such a case if the model doesnt match.... thus its obviously a proxy for something.

Hi, i don't understand if i can take a power axe for my terminator captain. on the profile i read: power sword but on wargear list, on terminator weapons, you read: "can replace his power weapon with one of..."

The question is simple. I want take a power axe for my terminator captain, but i can do it only if he has a power weapon...and not a power sword.

where is the right? on profile or on wargear list? Consider the same question for terminator team sergeant... or any character who want take a terminator armour and power weapon...

Thank you all!

Seems very clear to me. Terminator Captain comes with a Power Sword. He has an option to replace his power weapon (which a power sword is) with one of those specified in the Terminator Weapons list. This does not include a different type of power weapon, such as a power axe. He cannot therefore legally have a power axe.

The fact that your model has one does not alter the above. You would either need to agree with your opponent that the axe is indeed an axe or use it as the sword (and point out to your opponent that the model is not WYSIWYG).

Archived