I just realised that Ravenwing masters live a very short lif

Larhendiel

According to http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sammael and our Codex in 10 000 years time Sammael is 384th company master for "more than century" and previous company master Gideon was leading for 600 terran years.

So, 10 000 - 100 - 600 = 9300 years left for 382 previous chapter masters.

9300/382 = 24 years and 3 months

Thats the average for all those that were before Sammael and Gideon. As for a space marine thats a quite short life expectancy

Three in the space of one year causing command of the RW to fall to the GotC (iirc) MotRW until a new Master could be raised from inside the DA Ravenwing...   It's in the codex...

or in the novel Ravenwing...  i forget.

Don't forget it's a length of function not a length of life though...

+ Gideon leading for 600Terran years this is plain ridiculous... He remained more than Dante... Come on! This course of who lives the longest or who killed the most foes starts being ridiculous...

Don't forget it's a length of function not a length of life though...

This is a good point. The average may work out to 24 years per master but they may have already spent 100+ years in various other positions. You must also remember that this is only an  average - If there was a particular stretch of time where they saw a lot of MotRW KIA in much less than 24 years, that's obviously going to skew things.

I do agree that it seems like a low average and most likely an oversight(as happens quite a bit). I also agree with Avoghai on Gideons service, seems too much.

It wasn't the GotC 2nd company master, but the Angels of Absolution (I think), but yes, there were 3 Grand masters of the Ravenwing killed in a year, and a successor company 'led' the Ravenwing for something like 20 years until a suitable candidate could be found.

That is noted in the codex, on that little multi-page 'timeline'.

Where you guys thought all Jetbikes have gone? All previous chapter masters have tried to to pimp their jetbikes, causing massive explosions eventually leaving Sammael owner of last jetbike of the imperium. That is what you get inhaling all that gasoline fumes...  

I can't check the fulff at the moment, but my Sammael usually only lasts until the third or fourth round in every game. I give a lot of Slay the Warlord VPs up with that guy tongue.png

EDIT: And I just thought I'd add, that if the Master of the Ravenwing only gets actively involved in one battle (somewhere where the fighting is thickest or he is most needed) per campaign and it only takes (on average) several years to hop from one part of the galaxy to another on Fallen hunting duties then he is pretty doomed to a very short life at the rate I use/abuse/lose him. :D

Archived