Lucius Pattern DP

Acebaur

So I recently acquired a copy of the War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes IA book and was looking at the Lucius DP rules. I find myself wondering what was the point of including the Assault Vehicle rule since it still says you can't assault?  It also makes me wonder why you'd ever take this DP as you are basically just paying 20 points for shrouded for one turn.(Though that's a discussion for another place :p )

The differences are that:

1 - the Dreadnought doesn't have to disembark when the pod lands

2 - the Pod gains a +2 to any cover save on the turn it arrives

3 - the Dreadnought can assault out of the pod the following turn.

So basically:

The Pod arrives turn 1 and the dreadnought stays inside.  The Dreadnought disembarks turn 2, gets to shoot and then assault.

Is it as good as it used to be - no.

Is it as broken as it used to be - no.

It's no longer a vehicle that'll guarantee you having that Ironclad Dreadnought in combat turn 1 with your opponent unable to stop it unless they either have anti-tank interceptor fire or decent anti-tank overwatch.

you're able to place the model either in the centre or anywhere on the 3 doors that drop down.  if so placed, the dread benefits from all the cover save stuff this version does.

normal drop pods operate under the assumption that you will not place your guys on the doors, but instead within 6" of any edge of the pod.

Yeah but the doors pop open when it lands, so how can you "stay inside"?

Simple... you dont disembark.

Who cares about the doors? The doors dont matter, the doors have never mattered. What matters is not having the little sentence 'must immediately disembark'.

Actually Grey Mage, I don't mean to be picky but the doors matter on a Lucius for the purpose of the cover save - if a Dreadnought does disembark but is still touching the doors, then it still benefits from the save. Interestingly, they don't matter for the purpose of measuring from the hull, etc.

Acebaur, with a regular Drop Pod the occupants spew forth upon landing. With a Lucius, the Dreadnought needs not disembark until it is ready.

Actually Grey Mage, I don't mean to be picky but the doors matter on a Lucius for the purpose of the cover save - if a Dreadnought does disembark but is still touching the doors, then it still benefits from the save. Interestingly, they don't matter for the purpose of measuring from the hull, etc.

Acebaur, with a regular Drop Pod the occupants spew forth upon landing. With a Lucius, the Dreadnought needs not disembark until it is ready.

They do not however matter in context which was as to whether or not one has to disembark.

Archived