Azrael and... arco-flagellants?!

Jack Hitchcock

Hi brothers, I am a big fan of Azrael, and I generally use him to boost my army leadership and to make stronger my camping-on-objective units.
However I've decide to try to use him in a different way, more agressive, and I've looked through the battle brothers codici to find something interesting. Leaveing aside the imperial guard (50 guards with 4++ and fourious charge can be painful, but with imperial guard multiple command squads it's a too big investment ihmo), I've found this interesting combination:

- Azrael

- Xenos inquisitor with (almost) liber heresius and rad granades (55pts)

- Inquisitorial henchmen made by 10 arco-flagellants and a priest with power moul (190pts)

TOT. (without Azrael) 245 pts

For 10 pts less than a standard DW squad (2TH/SS, CML) you can have 50 strenght 6 (fourious charge trait) hit on the charge made by models that have a 4++ save (rerollable in CC due to the priest), feel no pain, that can insta-kill marine heroes (S6 vs R3 for rad granades) and can scout (liber heresius) so they are footslogger, but they can start a little bit more near to the enemy.

I think that combination could be fun even if not competitive for sure. What do you guys think of this unit? Could work in not-tournament game or it's doomed to slowly die by bolter fire before reach the CC?

Cheers

That's a 500 points chunk of an army consisting of 12 T3 models footslogging. Can be avoided or dealt with by emplying a bit of firepower. I don't think it's feasable for tournaments, but can work outside of tournament environments.

I think Az can be played more aggro (vs the more static way he's mostly played)& is very useful ,but as its been pointed out thats alot of points least on the flags unit+him.I like him with dwing knights or assault style termies possibly cmd with apoth.(a lil more punch/tougher in a lr(yes alot of points but if your army includes it already not too far fetched) but however he's used I think its best not to overload whatever he is with points wise & have it planned & balanced well with your army etc & not have it tear so many points away from your over all battle plan with possibly causing you to have to change all your tactics just for this 1 ic/unit combo.....etc.....theres some options though for sure.

Both with DWK and DW assault termies with apothecary are not good choiches imho:
- if you put him in DWK his 4++ to the unit it's wasted
- if you put him DW assault termies with apotecary are wasted both his 4++ to the unit (if you give them shields) both his feel no pain trait (if you give them the apoth)

Archived