Becoming the thing you hate (dark angel road to ruin)

ZONKEY

Hello everyone,

I was recently thinking about the dark angels brotherhood and how they are willing to go to any means nessacary to protect our secret past, but is this putting the dark angels on the path to ruin, I have heard that apparently the dark angels have turned on allies if the allies captures a mysterious figure and leaving allies to fall if the inquisition pays a visit, if a battle brother has fallen from another chapter to keep the secret safe are we no better than the ones we hunt?

*Please note my dark angels fluff knowledge is not 100%*

I have to say that there is only one documented time where the DA turned on their allies and even then it was just a show of force. Therewas no actual confrontation and the disaprearence of the allied force is a matter of speculation. As for Inquistion, DA don't abandon the field of battle because an Inq is present.. they leave the battlefield if they have more pressing business (like hunting a Fallen). I'm not saying that DA are not guilty of some bad stuff, but sometimes it is greatly exaggerated...

In short: Yes it can be the path to ruin, but no sometimes you have to hit the bottom to start the climb up... whistlingW.gif

The BT incident was the one I was referring to. There was a powering up of weapons, the BT handover a prisioner and why the BT disappear is anyone's guess. There's no proof for or against DA. Although the circumstances do seem suspicious, no one can say that it was the DA that did it. For all we know they could have been clobbered by Chaos or a Xenos fleet after that...

What about the Dark Angels vs Crimson Sabers incident? And the Dark Angels vs Black Templar w/Cypher incident?

And what about when the raven guard up and left the white scars hanging? You all seem to think that this is something new. Plenty of chapters go around being douchecanoes to other chapters or imperial forces.

As I recall correctly the iron hands used an entire ig armored company (including a baneblade), three guard regiments, and a squadron of warhound scout titans as "meat shields" so they could prevent the ritual summoning of a daemon Prince.

I believe the dark angels have dispatched curious inquisition and even left warzones to keep the truth hidden and I believe if cypher is captured and his plans are made clear even him posing a primarchs relic would have grave implications for our brethren

What about the Dark Angels vs Crimson Sabers incident? And the Dark Angels vs Black Templar w/Cypher incident?

And what about when the raven guard up and left the white scars hanging? You all seem to think that this is something new. Plenty of chapters go around being douchecanoes to other chapters or imperial forces.

As I recall correctly the iron hands used an entire ig armored company (including a baneblade), three guard regiments, and a squadron of warhound scout titans as "meat shields" so they could prevent the ritual summoning of a daemon Prince.

*cough* White Scars started it *cough*

Plus that time the Iron Hands stood and let an entire Raven Guard company die because, "Do you remember Istvaan? We do."

There's reason why the Rock has unusually high number of servitors... and its not due recruits fail becoming neophytes... but let's face it, all Marines can act like douches, I rather be douche in bone white terminator armor.

I guess the main problem is that the secret is too big of a deal to risk getting out, and the DA have been working for 10 millenia to redeem their honour.. bit of a waste of time to just stop now ;-)

You should read Angel of Darkness though, I quite liked that novel for the discussion about the path to 'redemption' the DA are currently on. And the, what becomes of the DA when all the Fallen have been captured.

I guess all things considered, its not like the DA have ever intentionally killed an Inquisitor like another furry Chapter.

Indeed accident happen and Galaxy is big and dangerous place...

It seems to me that closing a warp portal and banishing a daemaon in "wrath of iron" would be worth all fhe IG forces, if it stopped an entire world from being overrun by chaos. Perhaps a better instance of malicious indifference would be the same IH company coming to "rescue" a planet, taking what they want, then leaving without even a "sucks to be you"(short story Flesh from There is Only War)

In thousands of years & with so many mixed chapters/armies in the Emperors service in military combat & batlle doctrines there will always be issues...makes me recall the time Our Father the Lion smacked the King Wolf in the mouth & out Cold after being assaulted by him for taking a planet first & being attacked for it etc......(because of chapter honor/tactics) brothers fight & have different motives & in battle it can happen especially stretched over eons.

are Chapters/their sons going to not have these issues time to time as well??(or every few thousand years here or there etc ; ) As for hunting the fallen & issues caused by those thats for the Highest levels of the Inner Circle to know........& for you to have Faith in their actions known or unknown.

If you contrast 40k Dark Angels with 30k Dark Angels then it's clear we're not 'on the road to ruin', we're already there: we've already become that which we strove to oppose. We used to be true knights who understood the importance of secrecy, but valued honourable conduct and honesty above all. Now we're 'achieve our goals at all costs, honour be damned', which is a mindset the Order explicitly stood against.

The tragedy of this transformation is--for me--one of the only good things to come out of 30k writing on Dark Angels, which has (despite a few notable exceptions) been some of the worst in the HH series.

Archived