Just a couple of questions

ZONKEY

Hello brothers I just have a few question regarding the origins of the darks angels

1) how did we get the ominous chapter title of the dark angel is this a caliban myth

2) for a knightly monk theme chapter where did the Native American theme fit in?

Hello brothers I just have a few question regarding the origins of the darks angels

1) how did we get the ominous chapter title of the dark angel is this a caliban myth

2) for a knightly monk theme chapter where did the Native American theme fit in?

1) If we're going by Descent of Angels then it was a Calibanite myth/prophecy if I remember correctly

2) What's the Native American theme? (Honestly haven't been paying attention to my DA in a while)

1. Unsure, although I'm fairly certain it was pre-Caliban.

2. It originates from the novel Deathwing. A squad of DA Terminators return to their homeworld, a DA recruiting world, to find it over run with Tyranids. Deciding to stay and save their planet, then paint their armour bone to honour the traditions of their homeworld tribes, ala native American.

Cheers,

Jono

Originally the Dark Angels were known as the First Legion, I believe the Lion changed their name to the Dark Angels.

Grotsmasha is correct, the short story Deathwing which was originally published in the Space Hulk supplement of the same name established the concept of a native American theme which was then carried forward in the artwork and background, but reduced considerably when the second edition codex came out. The echoes of that theme are still on the miniatures in the shape of feathers. I also paint the odd cloud and other native American style bit of artwork onto my miniatures occasionally, but the background has mostly moved away from it.

In Fallen Angels when the Lion and Luther first encounter the 1st legion an assault squad descends from the sky an is described as "black armoured angels with wings of fire", therefore the Lion renames the 1st legion as the "Dark Angels" from and old caliban myth.

Luther quotes an old Calibanite myth/prophecy and Jonson says 'noice' and changes the name of the Chapter. As far as the Native American theme goes, it was an older theme which has been reduced in parts. According to DA myth there was a genestealer invasion of their recruiting world, Plains World, which was defeated by a group of Deathwing. This world had/has native american culture. The feathers and things are a throwback to that. Or they might just be leftovers of trophies from Caliban. Like everything with our background ambiguity is your friend.

It's actually more like knights than natives. They hunted beast in great hunts. Much like how knights would go on crusades to slay a Dragon or some other beast in medival lore.

It's actually more like knights than natives. They hunted beast in great hunts. Much like how knights would go on crusades to slay a Dragon or some other beast in medival lore.

Yeah much more like that... or maybe even like hunting down a Mastodon... Yeah local knights rockin' the stone age. whistling.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Archived