Greenwing and Flyers.

MadMek83

I've lately started to play more Greenwing and Hybrid wing than regular Biker-Nator-combo.  One thing for that is due flyers. Let's face it, Nephilim isn't that great tackling AV-12 like Storm raven or Heldrakes alone Low number or Deathwing's and Heldrakes gobbling Ravenwing's have lead me tried Greenwing more lately. I just love building nice Castle behind aegis line with 2 tactical squads with flakk missiles, dakka banner, 4 flakk missile devs spiced up by Quadgun and Missle Mortis and TL-Las Mortis. Its fluffy, deep strikers hate it and so does anyone running astartes storm wing or flyers.  Although not as mobile as some lists, it works quite well in here, where there are quite alot flyers. Although after introduction of my Greenwing AA-dakka, the list have changed more balanced and less flyer spammy. Only thing I am worried if someone brings Eldar Phoenix or something equally nasty. Flyers that get 4+ or 3+ cover without evading, I am slightly worried, but it would make things intresting. I have to say that when Local games allowed Forge World units (albeit super heavies need permission as not everyone have escalation etc) things have turned quite intresting here. But less flyer's spammed, mean's I can start using more termies and bikes again.

All hail the Lion!

Luckily my meta isn't that flyer intensive, and as I play pure Deathwing mostly, I can usually just ignore the skies and focus on eradicating all opposition on the ground. Just one question though, how are your las/missile mortis dreads faring? I have an ac mortis, but have yet to be impressed by it. Do you find it pays of to upgrade to lascannons?

For the Lion, Brother!

Well let's put this way:

two las shots against Storm Raven, one glace, one explosion: which destroyed: Storm raven, Ironclad dreadnought and 3 assault centurions... After that, simply putting dual  Las Mortis has been extreme deterrent against most flyers. Chaos Players are still pretty stubborn when it comes to their Heldrakes. But everyone else seem to stter away from Las mortis giving it change to rule enemy movement and deployment.

Although its so potent, people usually try to fry it by outflanking melta's, outflanking lances or suicide drop pods. If you castle nicely and remember 3 things: 1) Placement, 2) Placement and 3) Placement its one the most annoying models to kill before flyers enter.

Two things are most potent threat in my experience when it comes to flyers: Heldrakes and Crimson Hunte exarch's dealing 4 str 8 ap2 shots and hits on 2+ itsd quite annoying.

Archived