The Seventh Company of the Seventh Legion

Hey all,

Well I recently decided to start an Imperial Fists army, I elected to do the 7th company just because well I've never seen them done before and purple is also fun to play with. As some of you may have seen I have recently been struggling with the painting wall however I seem to have over come it somewhat.

I present to you one of the 8 current marines sat on my desk. I need to touch up round the black cowling once I have got the silvers etc in. 

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/Shadowwolf1312/1507403_10152044350680785_6835288174840269282_o_zpsf3ddf337.jpg

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/Shadowwolf1312/1801158_10152044350685785_6911370479804404040_o_zps5910972b.jpg

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/Shadowwolf1312/10256553_10152044350675785_2644331489306517192_o_zpsac21599f.jpg

All comments and criticism welcome! 

Thanks 

The_Terrible_Angel

Some nice gradiation there with that yellow, brother. Those progressive highlights are working well. I agree on the black though - it needs a wee touch up here and there but it's nothing too serious. :)

Damn it! Another Frater who can paint a really nice yellow! laugh.png

Who's soul do I have to sell to be able to get a similar result?

The seventh son's of the seventh son? Sounds like a powerful force to me tongue.png Nice start!

Someone should write a song and title it that!!

As a new recruit to painting yellows, I must say there is some jealousy on my behalf. That tone is rich and not too bright. Nicely done!!

End of Line

The seventh son's of the seventh son? Sounds like a powerful force to me tongue.png Nice start!

As a new recruit to painting yellows, I must say there is some jealousy on my behalf. That tone is rich and not too bright. Nicely done!!

End of Line

There's an Iron Maiden album called that happy.png

It always warms my heart to see another yellow painter. That's a good muted bright yellow, I know that sounds like an oxymoron but given the range of tones I've seen, I'd say hitting that right midrange has gotta be a little hard, so good on you!

End of Line

There's an Iron Maiden album called that happy.png

Great album too.

Now. As for the OP. I have no idea why you were worried about posting. Admittedly, yellow is one of the hard colours to get right and yours looks really good.

Can I make one suggestion regarding the black areas. I find myself that painting the deepest areas of models first results in a cleaner finish as I can get right in there and clean it up after. By this I mean the joints on the arms an legs. Get them painted in fully. Clean the edges up with something like Ceremite white or Vallejo white primer to match the rest of your primer. Then do the yellow.

Experiment on an unused arm maybe and see if it's useful. And you've got a follower as I always enjoy seeing people's threads who want to improve and learn. And you have a strong start too :tu:

That is a great start. Yellow causes a lot of problems for people, but you seemed to have nailed it.

On top of the other tips that people have mentioned, the only thing that I would add is to soften the edge between the darker parts to the lighter parts, in particular the lower legs. Really thin some of your yellow down, like 5-8 parts water to 1 part paint, and get a little on your brush, not a great deal, you don't want puddles. Starting in the darker area, paint towards the lighter areas, this will leave a little paint in the darker area but a little more in the lighter area, and will feather out the edge, softening the line between the two shades. Hope that maks sense. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

So Painting has slowed down a bit due to business work and general meh! However I plan to have a painting session on friday with a mate and aim to get all the models ready bar final details and building. Since tonight was a slow night where I didn't fancy doing painting but wanted to do something hobby related I did a small army list So far I have a Librarian, 10 man tac squad 7 man scout squad and a dreadnought which comes to around 500pts. Since I will be building the army (and possibly others) in 500pts increments I worked out a rough set of how the 7th company will go. 

My Next 500pt blocks will be 

Block Option A- Vindicator, Whirlwind, Tactical squad and Scout Sniper Squad

Block Option B- Tactical Squad, Venerable Dread, Drop pod and Assault Squad

Block Option C- Command Squad, Razor Back and Sternguard Squad.

In between this I also have some other bits to do for other war-games and maybe an allied army of guard (sorry Astra Millitium) or a Xenos army.

Thanks for all the input so far

The_Terrible_Angel 

Archived