Omnissiah vs the C'tan

I don't know much about either of them, but that the Omnissiah is the god of machines and the C'tan are the oldest gods (older than Chaos I think) and are worshipped by the Necrons.

What's the difference between them? Maybe I'm making an error thinking they're both similar solely based on the machine aspect, but I would like to know more about them both.

Okay, I'm not that up to date with the latest Necron stuff... but here goes...

The C'Tan (or Star Gods), are not gods as we might think of them, but great energy beings that used to feed on suns, until the Necrons decided to weaponize them. The Omnissiah might not exist, although some believe that the Omnissiah and the Emperor are one and the same. However, the obsession with machines on Mars is probably caused by the presence of the Dragon (one of the C'tan)... So you could say that the Dragon might be the Omnissiah. However, it was the Emperor who put the dragon there, and set up some prophecies about the Omnissiah to get the Mechanicum on board with his plan... So maybe it is all just part of the Emperor's cunning plan.

The C'tan are probably older than the warp gods, because they are really old, but once a warp god is born it has always existed... So, Slaanesh has always existed, while at the same time being the youngest of the 4 great powers. In Chaos only madness can be found.

Okay, I'm not that up to date with the latest Necron stuff... but here goes...

The C'Tan (or Star Gods), are not gods as we might think of them, but great energy beings that used to feed on suns, until the Necrons decided to weaponize them. The Omnissiah might not exist, although some believe that the Omnissiah and the Emperor are one and the same. However, the obsession with machines on Mars is probably caused by the presence of the Dragon (one of the C'tan)... So you could say that the Dragon might be the Omnissiah. However, it was the Emperor who put the dragon there, and set up some prophecies about the Omnissiah to get the Mechanicum on board with his plan... So maybe it is all just part of the Emperor's cunning plan.

The C'tan are probably older than the warp gods, because they are really old, but once a warp god is born it has always existed... So, Slaanesh has always existed, while at the same time being the youngest of the 4 great powers. In Chaos only madness can be found.

Worst bit of fluff GW wrote prior to the IH retcon, and yes I'm counting everything Ward's written, even the heart carvery incident. It completely destroys the agency of the Mechanicus as a faction(reducing their entire existence to either "the C'tan dun it" or "da Emprah dun it"), and robs their origins of meaning. Pre-Mechanicum, the Adeptus Mechanicus actually had a fair few themes going on considering how little was written about them; satirising the relationship many people have today with computers and technology as magic boxes you don't understand and can only plead with or hit repeatedly if they don't work properly, an example of and warning against giving up your humanity in order to survive extreme situations, an example of and warning against abandoning critical thought and treating science like faith, highlighting the folly of anti-intellectualism which makes ignorance into a virtue - the impact and import of most of those themes are diminished substantially when they result not from human beings making unenviable choices due to extreme circumstances, but because the Big Man needed people to build his Spehz Marinz armour and guns in a few thousand years time so engineered the outcome he wanted. McNeill and BL get a lot of credit as far as I'm concerned for the ...of Mars series, Galatea is fantastically creepy, and using servitors as a vehicle to make a point about the relationship between labour and capital was inspired, but Mechanicum doesn't get a free pass, a lot of the Dalia arc was pretty dire.

On the plus side, between the Newcrons fluff and Xenology(remember Mechanicum was written when Necrons were still faceless implacable robots serving not-Cthulhu, rather than the modern "Tomb Kings in Spaaaace!" characterisation), it's possible to entirely ignore the obvious intent behind Dalia's arc by choosing to see any implication of the Emperor's involvement as her own mistaken interpretation, the Guardian as a Necron Lord in disguise, the events on Earth in the past not as Da Emprah beating up the Dragon so he'd have an army of mad scientists to serve his every whim, but as a Necron(who a primitive culture could mistake for an armoured Knight) recapturing an escaped shard of the Dragon, and Dalia's vision of what is supposed to be Da Emprah psychically stealing ideas from the Dragon and putting them into the minds of the Martians actually being the fragmented impressions the shard has of his original capture and shattering by the Necrons eons ago. It may not be as good as an "official" retraction of the original guff, but at least it means I can read the otherwise pretty good Mechanicum novel without getting annoyed.

Archived