Why are 'Old' Codicies Illegal?

Perhaps this has been settled in the past and my search-fu is just too weak to find it. I would expect this topic should be cut-and-dry... probably just can't find the relevant dictating passages.

The question is identical to the topic: When a new codex is published, what tells us that the 'old' version is now illegal and un-usable? I'm seeing a lot pf passages about what a codex is and what is does/how it functions... but can't find anything about what makes any particular codex obsolete in the presence of newer publications.

I'm praying there is indeed something simple out there which addresses this-- the idea is so outlandish that this has simply never even occurred to me before. (And please no 'dreadsock' solutions, I'm honestly looking for the legal RAW answer)

It really depends on who you ask, and if you are competitive or "beer and pretzels".   New codexes generally are written for the latest version of the main rulebook, so your older codexes may have issues with rules that dont work or contradict each other.  Also, old codexes generally don't have the same weighting for points values of units.   In general most of the old codex units are more expensive than their current counterparts, though this is not always the case.  You may find that it is just easier to get up to date since the majority of info you will find on boards like this one will be in relation to the current edition as well.

If you play competitively, you need to get up to date on the current rules so that everyone is on the same page.   This reduces the chances of issues with rules and speeds play.  

If you are beer and pretzels though, there is absolutely no reason why you can't use any ruleset you want.   Heck, i still play 2nd ed ADnD and still like it more than any other edition.   Sure we COULD update, but we LIKE the fact that our 1st level mages only have d4 HP and 1 spell.   Weak as kittens they are!   :-)

There really isn't a "rule" written for that. Codexes are designed for the game edition they were written in, or a hybrid current edition/upcoming new edition mode, depending on how close to the end of an edition they are written.

Gideon999 already highlighted the rules and point costs difficulties. Basically, you can still play a 4th or 5th Edition Codex if you are playing using those rules sets or if the Codex hasn't been updated for the new Edition. Most folks probably aren't going I play you with the new rules Edition an an old Codex if the Codex has been updated for the new Edition.

There doesn’t really need to be a rule, I’d say, since it’s long been pretty much a given that any new codex will be better (for a given definition of “better”) than any that went before. If you really want to use a third- or fourth-edition codex against a sixth-edition one, you should probably be awarded extra points for handicapping yourself.

This is aside from the practical difficulties, of course. Anything from third edition on will be fairly easy to make work, but good luck with first- or second-edition material, which had drastically different rules for almost anything except the very basics.

Heck, i still play 2nd ed ADnD and still like it more than any other edition.

All I can say is: Amen! (That’s the only edition of D&D I find worth playing too smile.png)

There's nothing official, but a lot of tournaments do specify that you have to use the current codex, and for reasons of balance and fairness it's normally accepted that you only use rules that are in print, i.e. rules your opponent could have access to and that are designed to be compatible with their own army and the edition being played. To take a WFB example, if I were to use a 6th ed Hordes of Chaos book to pick my list, I could do so perfectly easily with the 8th ed rules. However, the Mark of Tzeentch as it was then is utterly unbalanced for the current edition of the game, because the way the magic phase runs has been completely overhauled. Another example would be the previous daemons army book, considered by most to be the most powerful WFB list since they overhauled al the books at the end of 5th. It was considered deeply unbalanced and the new daemons were nerfed quite hard. There's nothing to stop you and a friend from busting out older editions of the game. I went to an event where they played third ed WFB over the summer and much fun was had reliving all the random tables and narrative style play of the old Realm of Chaos books.

Having searched the BRB and a fair number of 6th Ed. codices - there is no rule saying which edition of a codex must be used in your games.

So... 3.5 Ed Codex CSM, welcome back to the fold... devil.gif

(Strongly considers asking GW to release a 6th edition FAQ for it, thus solving "the Chaos Marine problem"... ph34r.png )

In all seriousness, GW seems to have the view that old editions of each codex no longer even exist.

Tournaments will specify that you use the most up-to-date codex/rules for your army

Each codex should have this line (or something like it):

- "The rules contained in this Warhammer 40,000 codex fully replace those contained in all previous editions."

But they don't...

So no RAW answer is likely to be forthcoming.

While there is no official 'RAW' in the matter, there is GW precedence in thier Tome of Battle pdf.

There, they rule (much like thier FAQ answers...) that you must use the most recently released version of the rules for your units.

If you use old versions, that even possibly date back editions (like the Deathwtach Chapter Approved), you have the problem of these referencing incorrect, or missing rules.

Plus it's kinda given that new replaces old.

Where GW are starting to get into problems is the changes in names and supplements.

Has the Astra Millitarum Codex replaced the Imperial Guard Codex?  Are these the same armies?  They might have similar units within them.  But then so do the Grey Knights, Inquisition and Militarum Tempestus Codexes.  Yet these are all seperate Codexes and seperate armies.

Is Codex: Imperial Assassins still the most current version of that army?  While Imperial Assassins appeared inthe old Deamonhunters Codex and the current Grey Knight Codex, these are seperate armies.

Why does one invalidate the other?

That being said, why did Codex: Grey Knights invalidate Codex: Daemonhunters?  These are two different Armies are they not?

Why hasn't Codex: Space Marines invalidated Codex: Space Wolves or Codex: Blood Angels?

Overall, as people might be learning, is that this is not a computer game where the rules are programmed into the game environment. If you and your opponent know you are using an older codex and fine with it for a friendly game, cool. Most competitive events define in advance you have to use the latest codex or rule set, and that is a good thing to follow. Besides, your purchase of newer codexi keeps your local game store open and functioning for the community. If $$ is an issue, there is no "rule of ownership" - borrow a friend's shiny new codex if He/She's not using it - or share them as a team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived