Reference to the Dark Angels in Vengeful Spirit

Phoebus

It took years for my personal* pet theory to be validated, but Vengeful Spirit confirmed it:

Between the events of Scars and The Unremembered Empire, the Lion and the Dark Angels save Leman Russ and the Space Wolves from the Alpha Legion. They are the "unexpected help" that had been kept a mystery for so many years.

THAT story is going to make for a hell of a novella or novel!

* though I'm sure I wasn't the only fan of the Dark Angels to think of it!

And here's a nice shout-out to all those who ever spoke ill of the Lion and the First Legion:

“And what do you believe Roboute is doing?

‘It’s Guilliman, what do think he’s doing? He’s building an empire.’

And the Lion goes to stop him?

‘So the Wolf King says, my lord. It seems the warriors of the Lion stand with us after all.’

You doubted them? The First? Even after all they accomplished in the time before the others took up their swords?

‘I did,’ admitted Malcador. ‘After Rogal’s secret emissaries to their home world returned empty-handed, we feared the worst. But Caliban’s angels came to the Wolves’ aid when Alpharius threatened to destroy them.”

Excerpt From: McNeill, Graham. “Vengeful Spirit.” Black Library, 2014-05. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

I'll let you guess who the guy speaking in bold print is. ;)

Sucker punch their Primarch then save them. Seems like some good penance right there.

This would be my dream come true:

Russ is beset by Alpharius and a horde of Alpha Legionnaires on the bridge of his flagship. The Lion teleports in, batters aside the enemy Space Marines, and knocks out Russ before sending a completely confused Alpharius fleeing.

By the time Russ wakes up, the Dark Angels have chased the XX Legion fleet off and departed. Russ is more angered than ever before.

Sucker punch their Primarch then save them. Seems like some good penance right there.

My dream come true:

Russ is beset by Alpharius and a horde of Alpha Legionnaires on the bridge of his flagship. The Lion teleports in, batters aside the enemy Space Marines, and knocks out Russ before sending a completely confused Alpharius fleeing.

By the time Russ wakes up, the Dark Angels have chased the XX Legion fleet off and departed. Russ is more angered than ever before.

lol

Teleport in *PUNCH* Teleport out

He's a knight and a ninja

My dream come true:

That's is made of win. It's one of the most glorious moments of El'Jonson!

That excerpt alone is enough for me to pick up Vengeful Spirit, I'm so hungry for anything that'll turn HH DA around and especially anything that'll create some common ground between DA and SW players, so we can finally move passed 'sucker punch' jokes ad nauseum.

I cannot express how much I hope A D-B writes the novel/novella/whatever that covers the Lion helping out Russ. I know this just sounds like fanboyism (and there's plenty of that out there already), but between his knack for adding exposition through details, his excellent characterisation of primarchs and the facts that he has a personal interest in the themes that underpin the SW and has mentioned he wants to do a DA piece that's not shackled to the key DA characters in the HH series, this could be perfect. Throw in the XXth as antagonists and this has the makings of one of the best HH pieces going around.

My dream come true:

Just to make sure, you know I was completely making that part up, right? ;)

I'm so happy to see that BL is doing it's penance for treating the DAs and the Lion so poorly at the beginning of the HH series. tongue.png

Savage Weapons, Prince of Crows, the Unremembered Empire, and now this. Bring on the 1st Legion goodness!

My dream come true:

Just to make sure, you know I was completely making that part up, right? msn-wink.gif

No, I took it seriously. I only get HH novels months after they are released...blush.png

My apologies for the confusion! I edited the intro to that spoiler, so it hopefully won't mislead anyone else!

Everything else that was in spoilers (minus the part that would be my dream come true) is legitimate, though. And who knows? The long-standing tradition between us and the Space Wolves, which is in place by the time the events of The Unremembered Empire play out! May have originated during this encounter. ;)

Actually...

(WD117)

On the world of Dulan, the Space Wolves and Dark Angels were to assault an enemy held fortress. Russ claimed the right to lead the attack, but 'Lion' El'Jonson, commander of the Dark Angels, refused and started the attack early. Russ was furious, and began a feud which was to continue for three centuries. The Emperor intervened to quell the fighting, and ordered that the disagreement be settled with a duel. Leman Russ faced his friend in combat and took a blade through the heart; the duel was declared a draw, and the normally fatal wound healed within weeks.

The Primarchs were to fight four more times before the death of El'Jonson. Friends to the end, they were united by shared rivalry and sense of honour. The feud would arise again, but not in Russ's lifetime.

Of course, this was written in 1989 and the fluff has changed a great deal since then...

Actually...

(WD117)

On the world of Dulan, the Space Wolves and Dark Angels were to assault an enemy held fortress. Russ claimed the right to lead the attack, but 'Lion' El'Jonson, commander of the Dark Angels, refused and started the attack early. Russ was furious, and began a feud which was to continue for three centuries. The Emperor intervened to quell the fighting, and ordered that the disagreement be settled with a duel. Leman Russ faced his friend in combat and took a blade through the heart; the duel was declared a draw, and the normally fatal wound healed within weeks.

The Primarchs were to fight four more times before the death of El'Jonson. Friends to the end, they were united by shared rivalry and sense of honour. The feud would arise again, but not in Russ's lifetime.

Of course, this was written in 1989 and the fluff has changed a great deal since then...

This detail hasn't changed much however. The same tale is on page 9 of the current codex, an abridged form of the version in Codex: Angels of Death. Sorry Phoebus, but the feud always originated on Dulan during the Great Crusade.

Thanks for the tip-off about Vengeful Spirit. I hadn't realised it was released this weekend so I went and ordered it immediately. thanks.gif

Cactus, Azoriel,

I'm aware of the origin of the feud. :)

Edit: I see what I did.

I don't mean that the feud between the two Primarchs started during this event I allude to in my opening post. What I meant was that the tradition of "taking the smack", as shown in The Unremembered Empire, started then. Having re-read that part just now, that's obviously not the case!

Marshal, is that from the Black Library Live anthology? I never got a chance to read the short story with Corswain in it.

Vengeful Spirit never referenced Corswain, which is why I figured it was the Lion himself who came to the rescue. It simply shows Malcador relaying a message from Russ to the Emperor, wherein the Wolf Lord reports that the Lion and 20,000 Dark Angels are heading to Ultramar, and that the Angels of Caliban saved him from the Alpha Legion.

Don't get my question wrong: the more I think about it, I rather hope you're right! :)

Just so everyone knows Corswain, not the Lion, reinforces the Space Wolves. The Lion was already at Macragge during that conversation helping Guilliman make Sanguinius Emperor 2.0

Until they realise the Emp is alive and they ditch Guilliman. I'm cool for it being Corswain, as hes one of my favourite Heresy characters.

Plus, I think it would be rather sad if the Lion found Russ when the rest of the Dark Angels fleet (specifically tasked to this purpose) failed to do so.

Corswain: Honored Primarch, we were unable to find Leman Russ.

Lion: Oh, don't worry, that's fine!  I already did so myself.  So, given that I took care of one of the two tasks which I assigned you to do, I'm sure you must have done a bang-up job on the other one; how badly did you end up clobbering Typhon?  Were you able to take him alive for questioning, or did you end up having to kill him on the spot?  Do any elements of his fleet remain?

Corswain: Um, yeah, about that...

Author was Gav Thrope.

Okay, this is going to be sloppy.  =(

Corswain travels to Argeus (system?  planet?) with the Second Order under the command of Chapter Master Belath.  Corswain is attempting to hunt down Typhus' Death Guard fleet, though this has been complicated by the Free Army of Terra Nullius, a separatist force (formerly Imperial Guard) which has occupied the system and now want nothing to do with Horus or the Imperium.  Belath suggests they attack the Free Army while later's weapons are still powering up, but Corswain refuses, citing an agreement between the two forces not to engage each other, and instead orders the his fleet to prepare to intercept the Death Guard.

Corswain opens a comm channel with the President-General of the Free Army while he remembers a fractious DA leadership meeting which took place earlier.  During this meeting, it is stated that the Lion left Corswain in charge of those forces he didn't bring with him to Ultramar, and charged him with finding Leman Russ and "combating the enemy wherever they might be found."  Despite this, however, the gathered masters and grand masters are at a disagreement over what course of action to take, one master even suggesting they focus on ensuring Caliban's security first.  A librarian's divination reveals Typhus to be near Argeus; several members of the gathered council openly question the trustworthiness of this information and the usage of psychic powers in general.  (One master even goes so far as to mockingly reference the manner in which Nemiel was silenced, which earns a sharp rebuke from Corswain.)  Corswain announces his intention to investigate Argeus with the Second Order, a force he deems more than sufficient to deal Typhus should he be found there; the remainder of the fleet will investigate nearby systems instead (which seems to satisfy those unwilling to trust the aforementioned divination).  (Later, this fleet is described as being woefully outmatched by the Death Guard one - an explanation for this discrepancy is never given.)

Returning to the present, the President-General castigates Corswain, accusing him of violating their neutrality pact and even accuses the Dark Angels fleet of bringing the Death Guard near Argeus.  The President-General then accuses the Dark Angels of cowardice, stating the DA fleet's position near Argeus puts the Free Army's fleet at risk and that they intend to use the Free Army's fleet as shields.  Corswain retorts that the Dark Angels have bleed on numerous occassions for the sake of the galaxy, and that in truth it is the Free Army which is cowardly for refusing to fight the Death Guard.  Belath reports that the Free Army's vessels are moving clear of the fighting; as the Death Guard fleet approaches, he suggests they change position to better intercept, but Corswain again refuses, referencing the Spiral (from Descent of Angels) and stating that they should remain within range of Argeus' orbital defenses, even though the Free Army has made clear its intention to not intervene.  The DA fleet receives Death Guard torpedo fire, which causes Corswain to curse the inaction of the Free Army.  The President-General pleads Corswain's understanding, stating that he cannot take action without drawing the ire of either Horus or the Imperium.

After a few moments of thought - and a flashback of the Lion's earlier words to Corswain, telling him there might be some forms of disloyalty to the Imperium which have nothing to do with Horus - Corswain expresses acceptance of the Free Army's decision and states (without sarcasm) that there is safety in trusting the fate of the galaxy to others.  He ends his conversation with the President-General and assesses the state of his fleet; Belath states one of the strike cruisers is too now too damaged to continue and presses Corswain to fire their own torpedoes and re-maneuver; Corswain again refuses to have the fleet leave the cover of Argeus' orbital batteries, which Belath states have no value to them.  The Terminus Est is sighted - predicting that the Terminus Est will open up with a broadside followed by a boarding action, Corswain orders Belath to prepare for a counterboarding action.  With death seeming more than certain now, Belath calms down considerably and volunteers to spearhead the fore party of the counterboarding, which Corswain grants, stating that he had no qualms about leading the aft assault.

As Corswain prepares for this counterboarding action, the President-General resumes contact, questioning Corswain about his earlier sentiment.  Corswain points out that the Dark Angels are preparing to face a superior force and will in likelihood be slain to a man in the coming fight; their only hope is that they might kill Typhon and weaken the Death Guard force to a point where they might not pose a threat to the Free Army.  The President-General exclaims that Corswain would not know this to be their intent, but Corswain responds by saying it would be foolish to assume that the Death Guard would respect any claims of neutrality - he had conquered the galaxy in the name of the Emperor and the Imperial Truth, and Horus would most certainly return to conquer every remaining piece of the Imperium (separatist or not) in his own name.  Corswain then tells the President-General that he must end their conversation, but strongly recommends that the Free Army do not allow the Death Guard to land on their planet at any costs, for he had seen firsthand the misery that would surely follow.  The President-General then dithers, and Corswain points out that the Dark Angels fleet remained near Argeus to ensure the safety of the Free Army's own ships, and that now the Free Army's ships (largely transports) are now safely out of the way.  After Corswain reaffirms his loyalty to the Imperium, the President-General asks what he should do: Corswain directs him to fire his orbital cannons at the Death Guard fleet before abruptly ending the comm link.

Corswain checks on Belath's status and prepares to launch stormbirds to deliver the counterboarders.  Just before the launch order is given, however, the orbital batteries of the Free Army finally open fire on the Death Guard fleet, causing them to retreat.  Corswain declines to give chase.

After the fact, Belath is extremely contrite to Corswain, stating that his earlier dissension was both disrepectful and unworthy.  Corswain agrees, stating that he is not the Lion but speaks with the Lion's will and authority and that his command should be so respected.  Belath accepts this, but then is shocked to discover that Corswain truly intended to die on the Terminus Est had the Free Army not intervened.  He questions whether the loss of their entire fleet would be worth the lives of the separatists.  Corswain agrees that the separatists are no better than the traitors, but that he did not risk their fleet for the people of Argeus - rather, he did so for their fleet of transports, which Belath will commandeer under Corswain's authority to bring twenty thousand more legionnaires into the war.  Belath asks where that many legionnaires might be found, to which Corswain answers on Caliban, where they have been waiting for many years.

Archived