BM's Death Guard project

Hi there!

I played alot of GW games in my teens and really enjoyed painting och converting miniatures. Sadly when work and relationships got in the way all that came to an end. Now 12 years later I realized that work=lots of $ to spend on miniatures and that a relationship=a chance to evolve a hobby together smile.png

So I decided to start painting a Death Guard army. For the first few troops the models will be out-of-the-box ones but as I get my confidence in painting back I will try to make my own conversions.

For the army I decided on a drybrush technique since I really like the grainy effect for nurgle marines. Regular highlighting will also be used but to some lesser extent. I want to keep a unified look throughout the models so I'm gonna keep to a rather small palette of colors (green, rust, bone).

My first purchase included:

Lots of gw and vallejo colors, brushes, green stuff and whatever tools you need (LED headlamp to compensate for the poor lighting at my kitchen table xD)

1x Chaos Space Marine Squad

1x Forge World Death Guard conversion kit

1x Chaos Terminator Squad

1x Forge World Death Guard Termie conversion kit

1x Plague Marine resin squad

1x Raptor Squad

1x Dark Vengeance box

I started to paint the raptors but the models doesnt look anything like nurgle so I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep them or try to make some of my own. Anyway here's a pic of my first 2 Plague Marines(though the one to the left isn't finished):

http://i59.tinypic.com/28b731i.jpg

When I'm done with the first purchase I'm planning on maybe converting some Nurgle bikes and make suitable HQ for the army and maybe some tanks.

Let me know what you guys think could be improved and ideas for future additions.

Best regards /BM

They look like they just walked out of a swamp - in the good way, since it's nurgle troops. biggrin.png

If it's suggestions you're after, I remember seeing someone do little bits of silver on their rusted weapons once, so the bits of those weapons that see the heaviest use having the rust chipped off them. For example, patches of silver on the knife's edge and by the grip on the bolter.

Not that I think your models need the extra work, but then you did ask for ideas!laugh.png

@ Marshal Sampson of Terra: Thanks, kinda what I was aiming for.. The slimey feel is not my cup of tea really

@ Ace Debonair: Good suggestion, I will try to find som info on that

By the way, whats your best tips for removing paint from old miniatures? Soaking them in some kind of super recipie bath?

I just picked up an old friends Space Marine army for a really sweet deal, 2500$ worth of marines which I paid 250$ for and got a couple figure cases and tons of bits. Problem is that about 10% of the figs are painted. Man this is gonna be one hell of a project....

Hmm.

I've been lucky enough to not have to rip the paint off any models so far, so I'm not sure what I'd advise for that.ermm.gif

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will drop by soon - sorry I can't be of more help! sweat.gif

good start!

my suggestion, see if you can get some gW typhus corrosion paint (probably on ebay) - take a sponge and very carefully dry dab it on (there should be hardly any paint on the sponge, wipe as much off as poss on a tissue), paying more attention to the legs - it looks exactly like spattered dirt and mud. You can then apply with a brush into recesses. As for the weaponry, you can very carefully (less is better) dry brush some silver or brass onto the raised edges. Another tip, is to get some washes and spot apply them to the armour to show damage and corrosion. Take a look in my own nurgle thread, you should get a few ideas of what i mean in there 

:D

good start though!

@ disease: Really nice Nurgle models!! I have been eyeing those bits from spellcrow for a while but after seeing you putting them to together to make those awesome putrid monsters I'm heading to their webstore immediately!

I like the color scheme your using but for me, I'm going for something not so pale.

Anyway, my forgeworld order arrived today, so I'm gonna assemble a squad of termies and a squad of regular marines.. Too bad they're gonna look better than the resin plague marines. Updates on the painting my take a few days as I'm painting up some terminators for a dark angels vow atm

btw, on your flying lord, what did you make the blisters of? And where did you get those fly wings?

Excellent start, also have you consider of joining the ETL 3 for burgle this year?  Its a painting challenge between the forum, and your models could help chaos win this year.  How did you paint the sickly green color, maybe a tutorial?  

@Uprising: Regarding the ETL, I'm already painting some models for a Dark angels challenge so that'll have to wait until those are finished.

A quick step-by-step on how I painted the armour:

1. Prime with Vallejo Cold Grey

2. Base coat with GW Death World Forest

3. Drybrush with 50/50 GW Death World Forest/GW Nurgling Green

4. Drybrush with GW Nurgling Green

5. Pick out some highlighting with very thinned down GW Screaming Skull

6. Wash entire model in Agrax Earthshade

7. Wash details with Seraphim Sepia where you want a more brownish color

Archived